Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty…

Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (original 2011; edition 2012)

by E L James

4,6524681,020 (2.98)5 / 256
Member:vivaval
Title:Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy
Authors:E L James
Info:Ebook (2012)
Rating:***
Tags:Romance, erotic, trilogy, bondage, S&M, BDSM, EL James, Ebook

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (2011)

The Story of O by Pauline Réage (GYKM)
    Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Beautiful Disaster reminded me of Fifty Shades, except loads better (I think this is how Fifty Shades should have been written.)
    Nine and a Half Weeks: A Memoir of a Love Affair by Elizabeth McNeill (dara85, Aleana)
    The Gift of Shame (Black Lace) by Sophie Hope-Walker (marcejewels)
    Bad Behavior by Mary Gaitskill (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: A more grown-up take on female sexuality
    Panic Snap: A Novel by Laura Reese (Anonymous user, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Topping From Below by Laura Reese (Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Read the whole series, steaming sex and romance. This one with a little BDSM
    Twenty Tones of Red by Pauline Montford (PaulineMontford)
    PaulineMontford: Twenty Tones is a 'progression' from this series. It is more intense and the heroine actually wants...even craves...domination. This adds a new twist to her erotic adventures.

English (437)  Spanish (12)  German (5)  Catalan (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (468)
Loved This Book! Couldn't wait to start the next. ( )
  Debbie97462 | Jul 16, 2014 |
How is this lauded for any literary merit.I can't even conceive of how many books have been sold. I understand the romance aspect, because I am an avid romance novel consumer myself. It is the worst romance novel I have ever read. A pitiful attempt at literature; it is an incoherent diary entry of a stupid girl who is probably schizophrenic. The most vapid nonsense I've ever read. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
22-year old Anastasia is just finishing her degree when she meets Christian, a 27-year old, extremely wealthy businessman. It's obvious from the start that Christian is a control freak, but Ana is drawn to him, anyway. Though Christian initially tries to dissuade Ana from her interest in him (and tries to deny his own interest), it doesn't work. What Ana (who's never had a boyfriend) doesn't know is that Christian is into BDSM. That's all Christian wants, no “relationship” for him, just kinky sex, agreed upon with a contract, but Ana wants more.

I've never read erotica before, but I was surprised how much I liked this. It had a good story, I thought, and moved quickly. Though I mostly hated control freak/stalker Christian, I felt for Ana. I will definitely be reading the second book in the trilogy. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
After hearing nonstop about this book for the last million days (or at least so it seems), I managed to borrow a copy of this book and read it in a very short three days.

I'm nervous to write anything but a rave review about this book since there are so many people--women--who would defend this book to the death. But it is difficult to write highly of it. Before I picked it up, I asked my friend, "Does it have a plot?" Eagerly she responded that it did...but I'm afraid I didn't find a very strong one. This is the first romance novel I've ever encountered, so maybe that is just the way they are?

I'll plan to read the rest of the series, but I am not holding my breath for anything incredible. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Honestly, I didn't want to like this book. And I didn't expect to, either. I thought I'd read it and just dismiss it as banal fluff. I can't lie -- the writing isn't great - E L James uses "jeez" and "oh my" in what seems like every other sentence - and I would be absolutely floored if she wasn't a huge gan of Stephenie Meyer and the "Twilight" series. In my opinion, if you subtract the supernatural elements and add in lost of sexual tricks and descriptions from "Twilight," you'll end up with "Fifty Shades."

Now, that said, I did end up liking the story. In fact, probably about a quarter of the way into the book, I acclimated to the amount of steamy scenes included and really started to get pulled into the story. And the story between Christian and Ana is a romantic one. Very lush and sweeping and memorable.

The characters themselves are seemingly physically perfect, of course, but that's true in a lot of novels. Some aspects of their relationship are certainly unrealistic, but, again, I could say that of a lot of stories and novels. Bottom line: I liked the book. And I am looking forward to reading the next two in the trilogy. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
For Niall,
the master of my universe
I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror.
Du. Gehörst. Mir.

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her too - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

From website- http://www.eljamesauthor.com/home

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind -- until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.… (more)

The Writer's Coffee Shop

Two editions of this book were published by The Writer's Coffee Shop.

Editions: 1612130283, 1612130291

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible