Come a Tide by George Ella Lyon

Come a Tide

by George Ella Lyon, Stephen Gammell (Illustrator)

This is a delightful story of making the best of a bad situation that is totally out of your control. When it rains and rains and then rains some more, wise sage grandma knows that this does not bode well and that "It'll come a Tide."

And, it did come a tide, a tide of heavy streams of running water that clears everything in its path. As the pigs swirl in the current, and the furniture rides the water to another location, the good people of Clover, Martins and Poor Fork must ride out the tide and start all over again.

Lovely illustrations and a matter of fact story make this a like able read.
  Whisper1 | Jul 7, 2016 |
I thought this was a cute tale of a wise old grandma who knows whats is up with the weather. This book kept me smiling the whole time. Even when bad things are coming people are still focusing on their lives, and it gives the scary situation of a flood a little humor. This book is a book I would use when its raining outside, or when the children need a little bit of a laugh about weather. Being from the south it is always flooding around here. This book bring humor to the situation and I love it! ( )
  CMJohnson | Feb 26, 2014 |
A wonderful book, short and perfectly presented. I was vastly impressed. Wonderful. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
#37, 2007

This book was read aloud by Dixie Carter on an episode of "Reading Rainbow." It's the story of a flood which hits after too much snow and rain come together. It's a sweet book, and yet doesn't gloss over the devastation caused by the flood. Of course, it doesn't show the full effects . . . smiling pigs being washed away by the water for example; I couldn't help but remember the year the big flood hit North Carolina while we were living there. Those pigs weren't smiling - thousands of them were killed. Still, I think it's a nice introduction to this sort of natural disaster for children. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 2, 2007 |

George Ella Lyonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gammell, StephenIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dixie CarterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A girl provides a lighthearted account of the spring floods at her rural home.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible