Jimi Hendrix Turns Eighty by Tim Sandlin

Jimi Hendrix Turns Eighty

by Tim Sandlin

This is an entertaining book that could have easily gone awry. But Sandlin does an expert job of dodging some of the pitfalls. What kind of pitfalls? Well, it’s set in an old folks’ home in the San Francisco area in the near future (10-20 years – near enough for you). Pitfall one avoided – cute old people that you don’t believe. Pitfall two avoided – hippie clichés (almost all the residents have some touch point with the counter-culture of the 60’s). Pitfall three avoided (which can happen to any book and does happen to far too many) – building to an unbelievable climax and even more unbelievable resolution.

Sandlin avoids them all, creating a believable group of old people who happen to have a hippie background and many an axe to grind. They take over the home and begin to relive their revolutionary youth. Throughout, Sandlin makes their story believable. The characters are well developed and, even if you are not completely happy with the way things wind up, it is believable.

Not all pitfalls were avoided, but the ones that crop up are minor. A few times the text slips into the present tense (it appears this was done on purpose) for no good reason that I can fathom – a small distraction. Sandlin also gets a little too cute with his portrait of the future with many “humorous” blendings of pop culture and politics. (The governor of California is Daisy Barrymore.) And, while this one didn’t feel like a pitfall to me, others may think there was just a little too much emphasis on the senior citizen sex – but that is more a warning to your own personal pitfall; I didn’t see it as a problem

The person who recommended it to me indicated it wasn’t that good, but I disagree. And I wonder if it was the blurbs that misled him. You might be expecting laugh out loud funny. That isn’t the case. But the book is actually better for not having gone for the belly laughs. The book is funny and charming and engrossing and one I will remember for quite a while. ( )
  figre | Aug 14, 2009 |
simply joyful. i laughed, i cried, i went on a trip into the not so distant future...a must read for anyone who loves Tim Sandlin, the sixties, or just a great story. ( )
  mjanetten | Aug 3, 2009 |
Love the premise: boomers in an elderly care facility in 2022. I had good fun with this because the situation is farcical (okay, silly) but poignant at the same time. I was hooked as soon as I heard the client-based band playing for the Friday night sock hop was called Acid Reflux. Sandlin shows a tough love to the old coots. Lots to laugh at--and ponder. ( )
  DeWittian | Jun 23, 2009 |
What happens when the hippies become residents in a retirement community? Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll happens. Respect and Mr. Scratchy…turns into nonviolent direct action…turns into anarchy happens.

A very funny book dealing with real aging issues in between the laughs.
  CarolO | Jul 9, 2008 |
It takes life to love life. Edgar Lee Masters, Spoon River Anthology
I wrote this book for my father, Red Sandlin, who showed me you can age with dignity or rage or laughing all the way. It's your choice

And the young men who entered Johnson 8 & 9 in the fall of 1968. The scattered and the dead.

And as always, Carol and Leila.
On a clear October afternoon, a gentleman, who was seventy-two but in such good health he could have passed for sixty-two, prepared to putt a golf ball across the thirteenth green at one of the many courses lying ten miles inland from the Pacific Ocean in that stretch of green peninsula between Santa Cruz and San Francisco.

Old folks take over!

Guy Fontaine's time has passed. It's 2022, and he's an involuntary resident in assisted living at Mission Pescadero, California, "the premiere retirement community in Half Moon Bay"-and in the company of others his age who are yearning for a time when life was fun. Precisely: 1967, the days of sex, drugs, peace, protest, rock and roll, and revolution. The drugs may be a little different, but when change is necessary, revolution is still revolution. As an epic battle begins between authority and the oppressed, young and old, intolerance and free love-complete with twenty-four-hour news coverage-the radicals of the newly christened Pepper Land are going to raise hell. And crank up the music.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

Eugene Morris Jerome finds himself far from his Brooklyn home when he is sent to basic training in 1943 Biloxi, Miss. He encounters hostility and sadism, but maintains his sense of humor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,688,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible