Anahita's Woven Riddle by Meghan Nuttall…

Anahita's Woven Riddle (2008)

by Meghan Nuttall Sayres

2161953,956 (3.79)5

possible group read if voting swings
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I thought the cultural details were interesting, but I felt they were often included at the expense of the story and writing. I also felt like the author was speaking down to the reader because it is YA. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I though this book started out wonderfully. By the 123 page however I was shaking my head. It was so predictable halfway through that I can't even write a review for fear of spoilers. She chooses Arash in the end. ( )
  lafon | Mar 31, 2013 |
I couldn't get into this enough to finish it, I must admit. Maybe I'll pick it up another time, if someone gives me a compelling reason to. ( )
  SamMusher | Mar 30, 2013 |
Here in this carpet lies an ever-lovely spring;
Unscorched by summer's ardent flame,
Safe too from autumn's boisterous gales,
Midwinter's cruel ice and snow,
'Tis gaily blooming still.
The handsome border is the garden wall
Protecting, preserving the Park within
For refuge and renewal; a magic space.

--unknown Sufi poet
For Mojdeh, Farhad, Nanas, and Anahita

To weavers everywhere

And to those who -- like nomads -- seek greener pastures
"Baba, I have a riddle for you," Anahita said, standing among the pregnant ewes corralled for an early spring shearing.

A richly detailed and enchanting novel, set in 20th-century Persia

Anahita, a nomad, learns that her father has promised her hand in marriage to a man she dislikes. Determined to have a say in her own fate, Anahita convinces her father to let her hold a contest, in which potential suitors must correctly answer the riddle she has woven into her wedding carpet. A diplomat, a schoolteacher, a shepherd, and a prince compete in Anahita’s battle of wits, for the heart of this extraordinary girl.

Meghan Nuttall Sayres explores the art of weaving, the rhythms of nomadic life, and the beauty of the Muslim faith in this fascinating debut novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:35 -0400)

In Iran, more than 100 years ago, a young girl with three suitors gets permission from her father and a holy man to weave into her wedding rug a riddle to be solved by her future husband, which will ensure that he has wit to match hers.

Meghan Nuttall Sayres is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,923,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible