Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Banquet Years: The Origins of the…

The Banquet Years: The Origins of the Avant-Garde in France - 1885 to… (original 1958; edition 1968)

by Roger Shattuck (Author)

Member:tungsten_peerts
Title:The Banquet Years: The Origins of the Avant-Garde in France - 1885 to World War I
Authors:Roger Shattuck (Author)
Info:Vintage Books (1968), Edition: Revised, 397 pages

The Banquet Years: The Origins of the Avant-Garde in France - 1885 to World War I by Roger Shattuck (1958)

This is an outstandingly good work on the immediate origins of early 20th-century artistic movements and writing. A chapter of biography of one of the four figures--Rousseau (le Douanier), Satie, Apollinaire, Jarry-- is followed by an evaluation of his work, but the book is so smoothly written that one scarcely notices the scheme of it.The lives are of course rivetingly interesting. Shattuck conveys the pathos in each one depressingly well but his joy in the works almost dispels the melancholy strain.

Despite its being a serious study the book is far from dry, and there's a good balance between the evocative and the informative. I only wish I had read this as a teenager, before I began to delve into writings and art of the following decades; I would have been spared a good deal of puzzlement. If ever you've failed to 'get' early 20th-century art, the last two chapters in particular are an excellent introduction.
  bluepiano | Dec 30, 2016 |
Rousseau, Satie, Jarry, Apollinaire ( )
  onesmallhole | Jan 16, 2015 |
...there remained awake only Socrates, Aristophanes, and Agathon, who were drinking out of a large goblet which they passed around, and Socrates was discoursing to them. Aristodemus did not hear the beginning of the discourse, and he was only half awake, but the chief thing which he remembered was Socrates insisting to the other two that the genius of comedy was the same as that of tragedy, and that the writer of tragedy ought to be a writer of comedy also.

--Plato, The Symposium or Banguet
--In Memory of--

Gilman Dobb Blake, Jr. and Lt. A.C. A.U.S

Killed in line of duty, Jan. 20, 1945, in England

Bigelow Watts, Jr. Captain, USMCR

Killed in action off Korea, June 7, 1951

A tout ceux qui sont morts pour la civilisation

--Inscription on memorial tablet for World War I, Les Eyzies, France

Portrays the cultural bohemia of turn-of-the-century Paris who carried the arts into a period of renewal and accomplishment, who laid the ground-work for Dadaism and Surrealism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:47 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,461,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible