2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

2312 (edition 2013)

by Kim Stanley Robinson (Author)

Member:GVassmer
Title:2312
Authors:Kim Stanley Robinson (Author)
Info:Orbit (2013), 672 pages
Tags:sff, to read

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

I have read a lot of science fiction over the years, frequently exploring other genres before returning to “catch up” on newer authors. I read Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars trilogy many years ago and remember enjoying them, though apparently not immensely. This novel was a Hugo Award nominee, so I gave it a chance.

As many have mentioned, this is a first class example of “world building”, well supported by hard science fiction and in many instances, highly original. As the name suggests, the story takes place roughly 200 years into the future. The solar system has been colonized and there is political discord among the several competing factions and alliances. Artificial intelligence has reached the stage where “replicants” have begun to appear. Life expectancy has reached over 200 years, with potential immortality on the horizon. Acts of interplanetary terrorism set the stage for the story.

The backdrop of the story is about as good as it gets. Only Peter Hamilton can compete in the arena of world building, among the numerous authors I’ve sampled. The hard science fiction is first rate. The story itself, however, simply doesn’t measure up to the scenery. It is not bad, by any stretch; it is simply not that good, which is a shame. The story drags at times and the primary characters were just not that interesting to me. Periodically, chapters called “Lists” and “Extracts” are inserted. Some of the Extract chapters contain information dumps, which are helpful. Others are pointless and the List chapters are a complete waste of time. Nevertheless, this novel is a worthwhile investment of your time if you enjoy hard science fiction. ( )
  santhony | Sep 17, 2018 |
A space travel book without faster than light travel! Robinson lets himself be bound by the laws of physics, and gives us a peek at an actually possible future. I enjoyed traveling the solar system and seeing all the different habitats humanity set up for itself. This is a slow paced read, and has a main character whom I disliked for most of the book, but I enjoyed reading it. If you enjoyed his Mars trilogy, you'll probably like this one as well. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
An inspection of the solar system after it has been thouroghly colonized, Some grand ideas held together by the simplest of plots. ( )
  jefware | Jan 28, 2018 |
I am not generally a reader of science fiction, which made this a great selection for broadening my horizons. 2312 could be seen as a grown up version of the dystopian fiction I've been reading so much over the past couple of years. Specific, full of physical science as well as the emotional effects of technological, medical, and space colonization advancements. At times the narrative seemed to slow to a crawl while a single landscape or event was explained to the smallest detail. Other sections brushed by philosophical questions, relationships, and interactions with a driving rapidity. "Extract" chapters were necessary to give background information needed for any hope of understanding or even remotely connecting with the characters and their actions. More than anything I found a new appreciation for the blue sky and fresh air readily available just outside my door. As well as an inquisitiveness about climate change. I do love books that make me think! ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
In his vibrant, often moving new novel, "2312," Robinson's extrapolation is hard-wired to a truly affecting personal love story.

Kim Stanley Robinson's 17th novel is complex and sometimes bewildering, 500 pages crammed full of strange but decent characters whose actions play out against a vastly constructed utopian background.
added by karenb | editThe Guardian, M John Harrison (Jun 14, 2012)

... [Robinson's] boldest trip into all of the marvelous SF genres—ethnography, future shock, screed against capitalism, road to earth—and all of the ways to thrill and be thrilled. It's a future history that's so secure and comprehensive that it reads as an account of the past—a trick of craft that belongs almost exclusively to the supreme SF task force of Le Guin and Margaret Atwood.
added by karenb | editSlate, Choire Sicha (Jun 1, 2012)

(Starred review) In a spectacularly depicted future of interplanetary colonization, humanity has spread across the entire solar system, from miniature biomes in hollowed-out asteroids to a moving city racing the fatal rays of the sun on Mercury.
added by karenb | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 5, 2012)

A small, clever novel obscured rather than enlightened by philosophy, synthesis, analysis and travelogue.
added by karenb | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2012)

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, JakobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The year is 2312. Scientific and technological advances have opened gateways to an extraordinary future. Earth is no longer humanity's only home; new habitats have been created throughout the solar system on moons, planets, and in between. But in this year, 2312, a sequence of events will force humanity to confront its past, its present, and its future. The first event takes place on Mercury, on the city of Terminator, itself a miracle of engineering on an unprecedented scale. It is an unexpected death, but one that might have been foreseen. For Swan Er Hong, it is an event that will change her life. Swan was once a woman who designed worlds. Now she will be led into a plot to destroy them"--… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316098124, 0316098116

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,236,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible