2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

Info:Orbit (2012), Kindle Edition, 568 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Electronic book
Tags:science fiction, Kindle

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

I love good SciFi and I loved his Mars series. This was just OK in my opinion. There were things about it I liked-his descriptions of the different settlements I liked very much but all in all, for me, it just didn't measure up to the Mars books. ( )
  KarenHerndon | Jun 9, 2015 |
This novel reminded a great deal of Clarke's Imperial Earth, i.e., a tour of the future, chockfull of hardcore SF speculation, with a plot of sorts, but not one that seems to really matter to the book. It's mostly a mechanism for moving characters from one setting to another, and introducing a bit of conflict and tension. Robinson is better at characterization than Clark, bringing some mixture and complexity to his two main characters, who are mostly male and mostly female, but exactly how much that matters is one of the many threads followed. While not a Singularity novel, and certainly not a space opera, this does imagine some pretty dramatic changes in what humans are doing with solar system and themselves. Pretty much every planet from Mercury to Saturn has been or is being terraformed in some way, so that Robinson can indulge in a little callback to pulp days with living breathing Mercuroids, Martians, Venusians and Saturnians.

Recommended as long as you understand what you're getting. ( )
2 vote ChrisRiesbeck | May 23, 2015 |
This book was a slog. I choose to read it because it was a finalist for the 2012 Nebula Awards. (Thank goodness it didn't win.)

Kim Stanley Robinson is an imaginative writer. In 2312, while the Earth has become something of a environmental wasteland, Earth's descendents have settled most of the solar system. Robinson's visions of what colonies would like on as varied outposts as Mercury and Saturn's moons are so brilliantly described, I wish he had only spent as much time imagining the depth of his characters. I didn't find a single one of them even remotely relatable, no doubt because any time one of them appears within the narrative, Robinson's prose switches from the lyrical to the most boringly pedestrian. Moreover, while technology has so evolved over 300 years to allow such marvels as terraforming and the habitation of asteroids, human evolution seems to have gone in the opposite direction, as the protagonist, close to 100 years old, seems to have the emotional depth of an adolescent.

It's a long novel--over 700 pages--and after 333 pages I just couldn't take it anymore. For all of Robinson's intriguing ideas about settlement of the planets, there are a lot better books for me to spend my time with. ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
It is with regret and frustration I found myself at the end of Robinson's much-acclaimed novel 2312. I've spent a great deal of time thinking about why. Perhaps it was the preponderance of scientific terminology this reader found daunting and falling too far into the expository, while for some Robinson's prodigious understanding of science and what might be possible in the far future would be fascinating.

The characterization had moments of brilliance, but overall fell too far into the unidentifiable and understandable. For a brief segment there was an occurrence and journey which very much put me in mind of le Guin's brilliant novel, The Left Hand of Darkness, but alas that sense of epic journey dissipated.

There are sections which are meant to be in the form of found fragments of notes from a journal, very much stream of consciousness. But, again, very often slipped into the extreme end of the scientific so that the average reader, without knowledge of higher sciences, was without frame of reference.

And in the end the entire novel felt like an exercise to demonstrate Robinson's personal knowledge, rather than a novel to challenge and entertain. The plot, if one could call it that, revolved around terrorism and revolutionary planetary colonies, so that once again I felt as though we were dealing with spies in space.

Very, very disappointing, from an author I had long respected.

Your mileage may vary. ( )
  fiverivers | Mar 29, 2015 |
This book was intriguing. In many ways, it presented a plausible vision of the future. The plot was rather loose and weak; often it felt like the plot was just there to give a framework for explanations and descriptions of life in 2312. There was a little romance, and a little mystery. The mystery part concluded in an anti-climactic way. I did appreciate some of the discussions of philosophy, psychology, and humanity scattered throughout. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
In his vibrant, often moving new novel, "2312," Robinson's extrapolation is hard-wired to a truly affecting personal love story.

Kim Stanley Robinson's 17th novel is complex and sometimes bewildering, 500 pages crammed full of strange but decent characters whose actions play out against a vastly constructed utopian background.
added by karenb | editThe Guardian, M John Harrison (Jun 14, 2012)

... [Robinson's] boldest trip into all of the marvelous SF genres—ethnography, future shock, screed against capitalism, road to earth—and all of the ways to thrill and be thrilled. It's a future history that's so secure and comprehensive that it reads as an account of the past—a trick of craft that belongs almost exclusively to the supreme SF task force of Le Guin and Margaret Atwood.
added by karenb | editSlate, Choire Sicha (Jun 1, 2012)

(Starred review) In a spectacularly depicted future of interplanetary colonization, humanity has spread across the entire solar system, from miniature biomes in hollowed-out asteroids to a moving city racing the fatal rays of the sun on Mercury.
added by karenb | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 5, 2012)

A small, clever novel obscured rather than enlightened by philosophy, synthesis, analysis and travelogue.
added by karenb | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2012)

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The year is 2312. Scientific and technological advances have opened gateways to an extraordinary future. Earth is no longer humanity's only home; new habitats have been created throughout the solar system on moons, planets, and in between. But in this year, 2312, a sequence of events will force humanity to confront its past, its present, and its future. The first event takes place on Mercury, on the city of Terminator, itself a miracle of engineering on an unprecedented scale. It is an unexpected death, but one that might have been foreseen. For Swan Er Hong, it is an event that will change her life. Swan was once a woman who designed worlds. Now she will be led into a plot to destroy them"--… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316098124, 0316098116

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,861,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible