2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

Info:Orbit (2012), Kindle Edition, 568 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Electronic book
Tags:science fiction

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

Love reading Kim Stanley Robinson and his thoughts regarding the potential for near planet colonistation. ( )
  kale.dyer | May 7, 2016 |
A mixed bag. I had to keep a dictionary nearby to look up words. Written with great descriptive language. A story of political intrigue, science fiction, and romance. ( )
  kewaynco | Apr 10, 2016 |
Begrudgingly gave it three stars only because it is well written. I suppose it is even thought provoking if you are willing to wade through 520 pages of "literature" to get to 50 pages of story. What a chore this one was. If I wasn't on my "read all Hugo nominees" kick there was no way I would have made it past page 50. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
This book is huge in breadth and depth, covering everything from falling in love, the destruction of cities, the precise techniques required to recreate terran microbiomes, artificial intelligences integrating with human society...Sometimes I grew frustrated because the book spent fifty pages recounting two characters whistling to each other, and only a paragraph to enact and then dismiss a plan to provide affordable housing for all people on Earth. I wasn't always on board with the focus or the pacing of this book, but was, against my will at times, always fascinated by whatever was on the page.

Despite engrossing me, neither the plot nor the characters were all that well developed. Swan and Wahram get more development near the end, but Kirin remains just a pawn pinballing between information brokers, and the plots are wrapped up very quickly and mostly off-page. I loved the excerpts from histories, anthropologies, and technical manuals from various times (past, present, and very far future); I was dubious at first due to the unexpected style of them but rapidly found them the most enjoyable part of all. It is, overall, a sprawling and pragmatic book, and yet strangely hopeful about our present and future, as organisms and as part of a larger universe. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I picked this up just because I was looking for some decent solar system-based near-future sci-fi. This book did fit that bill. And I quite enjoyed the broader strokes of the description of the state of humanity in 2312 -- the inter-global politics and such. But the characters and story fell almost completely flat for me. The characters were really weakly drawn and I had a hard time giving a shit about what happened to them. And the plot shuffled around so quickly and often without obvious logic... Also: The solar system felt almost completely devoid of all people *except* the dozen-ish main characters of the book. It didn't feel alive. (And it had a touch too much goofball cyberpunk flavor to it at points.) Anyway: Not a terrible book by any means, but kind of an example of why I've never really been particularly into sci-fi, despite my more general interest in technology. ( )
  chasing | Jan 18, 2016 |
In his vibrant, often moving new novel, "2312," Robinson's extrapolation is hard-wired to a truly affecting personal love story.

Kim Stanley Robinson's 17th novel is complex and sometimes bewildering, 500 pages crammed full of strange but decent characters whose actions play out against a vastly constructed utopian background.
added by karenb | editThe Guardian, M John Harrison (Jun 14, 2012)

... [Robinson's] boldest trip into all of the marvelous SF genres—ethnography, future shock, screed against capitalism, road to earth—and all of the ways to thrill and be thrilled. It's a future history that's so secure and comprehensive that it reads as an account of the past—a trick of craft that belongs almost exclusively to the supreme SF task force of Le Guin and Margaret Atwood.
added by karenb | editSlate, Choire Sicha (Jun 1, 2012)

(Starred review) In a spectacularly depicted future of interplanetary colonization, humanity has spread across the entire solar system, from miniature biomes in hollowed-out asteroids to a moving city racing the fatal rays of the sun on Mercury.
added by karenb | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 5, 2012)

A small, clever novel obscured rather than enlightened by philosophy, synthesis, analysis and travelogue.
added by karenb | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2012)

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The year is 2312. Scientific and technological advances have opened gateways to an extraordinary future. Earth is no longer humanity's only home; new habitats have been created throughout the solar system on moons, planets, and in between. But in this year, 2312, a sequence of events will force humanity to confront its past, its present, and its future. The first event takes place on Mercury, on the city of Terminator, itself a miracle of engineering on an unprecedented scale. It is an unexpected death, but one that might have been foreseen. For Swan Er Hong, it is an event that will change her life. Swan was once a woman who designed worlds. Now she will be led into a plot to destroy them"--… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316098124, 0316098116

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,814,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible