2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

Info:Orbit (2012), Kindle Edition, 568 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Electronic book
Tags:science fiction, Kindle

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

This book was intriguing. In many ways, it presented a plausible vision of the future. The plot was rather loose and weak; often it felt like the plot was just there to give a framework for explanations and descriptions of life in 2312. There was a little romance, and a little mystery. The mystery part concluded in an anti-climactic way. I did appreciate some of the discussions of philosophy, psychology, and humanity scattered throughout. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
KSR is known for his realistic, well-developed future worlds, and with 2312 he's produced one on par with his Mars books, though without the sometimes exhausting detail of those. Humanity has spread through the solar system, and some of it has changed (biologically) in quite interesting ways. His future tech stays plausible while still having plenty of wow factor, and people are still people - mostly. Unlike a lot of sci-fi, it feels very *real* - like this is a future that could actually happen. Check out the Amazon page and the editorial reviews, this book lives up to all of the accolades.
  Clevermonkey | Jan 14, 2015 |
A very ambitious novel (when you include Frederic Jameson in your acknowledgments, you've got ambitions), and peculiar. I enjoyed the world, and I think I will find myself drifting back to it for a while to come. Characters? Plot? I don't know; I think, like the characters and plot of the movie _Titanic_, they just serve as a pretext to tour the whole environment. But what a grand tour it is! ( )
  JoePhelan | Dec 14, 2014 |
I was on page 600 of 630 or something and I felt like I could take it or leave it. Boooooooooring ( )
  Mrdrewk | Dec 2, 2014 |
I managed to read this entire book ... but I was inclined to give up many times during the first 100 pages. The book starts out being almost incomprehensible. The author alternates real time narrative with "extracts" from some unidentified future encyclopedia and "lists" of various kinds. These manage to fill in voids in real-time plot development, but this writing style takes a while to get used to. "2312" was just interesting enough to keep me reading in snatches of spare time, but it was not compelling. All in all, I can't recommend "2312". ( )
  rondoctor | Nov 30, 2014 |
In his vibrant, often moving new novel, "2312," Robinson's extrapolation is hard-wired to a truly affecting personal love story.

Kim Stanley Robinson's 17th novel is complex and sometimes bewildering, 500 pages crammed full of strange but decent characters whose actions play out against a vastly constructed utopian background.
added by karenb | editThe Guardian, M John Harrison (Jun 14, 2012)

... [Robinson's] boldest trip into all of the marvelous SF genres—ethnography, future shock, screed against capitalism, road to earth—and all of the ways to thrill and be thrilled. It's a future history that's so secure and comprehensive that it reads as an account of the past—a trick of craft that belongs almost exclusively to the supreme SF task force of Le Guin and Margaret Atwood.
added by karenb | editSlate, Choire Sicha (Jun 1, 2012)

(Starred review) In a spectacularly depicted future of interplanetary colonization, humanity has spread across the entire solar system, from miniature biomes in hollowed-out asteroids to a moving city racing the fatal rays of the sun on Mercury.
added by karenb | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 5, 2012)

A small, clever novel obscured rather than enlightened by philosophy, synthesis, analysis and travelogue.
added by karenb | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2012)

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The year is 2312. Scientific and technological advances have opened gateways to an extraordinary future. Earth is no longer humanity's only home; new habitats have been created throughout the solar system on moons, planets, and in between. But in this year, 2312, a sequence of events will force humanity to confront its past, its present, and its future. The first event takes place on Mercury, on the city of Terminator, itself a miracle of engineering on an unprecedented scale. It is an unexpected death, but one that might have been foreseen. For Swan Er Hong, it is an event that will change her life. Swan was once a woman who designed worlds. Now she will be led into a plot to destroy them"--… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316098124, 0316098116

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,713,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible