2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

Info:Orbit (2012), Kindle Edition, 568 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Electronic book
Tags:science fiction, Kindle

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson

Recently added bytfcred, vpfluke, JoePhelan, mpawloski, private library, jeffe.legge, Mrdrewk, BJasmine, rondoctor, emottay

A very ambitious novel (when you include Frederic Jameson in your acknowledgments, you've got ambitions), and peculiar. I enjoyed the world, and I think I will find myself drifting back to it for a while to come. Characters? Plot? I don't know; I think, like the characters and plot of the movie _Titanic_, they just serve as a pretext to tour the whole environment. But what a grand tour it is! ( )
  JoePhelan | Dec 14, 2014 |
I was on page 600 of 630 or something and I felt like I could take it or leave it. Boooooooooring ( )
  Mrdrewk | Dec 2, 2014 |
I managed to read this entire book ... but I was inclined to give up many times during the first 100 pages. The book starts out being almost incomprehensible. The author alternates real time narrative with "extracts" from some unidentified future encyclopedia and "lists" of various kinds. These manage to fill in voids in real-time plot development, but this writing style takes a while to get used to. "2312" was just interesting enough to keep me reading in snatches of spare time, but it was not compelling. All in all, I can't recommend "2312". ( )
  rondoctor | Nov 30, 2014 |
I really liked this one even if it was slow going at times. KSR has a writing style that's really demanding for inattentive people like me. Sometimes I wake up having read several pages without registering a single word because my mind caught on to some previous tangent and veered off into space (pretty literally in this case.)

This book continues exploring some of Robinson's previous themes such as climate change, alternative forms of government and solar system colonization. He also brings in transhumanism and AI among other stuff. As always he's more about ideas than plot, so don't expect a thriller. If you liked the Mars trilogy this is for you. ( )
  pan0ramix | Nov 25, 2014 |
Unsure how to rate this one -- I loved the parts of this book that described terraforming and geo-engineering, projections of future historical ages/developments, and speculative socio-political interactions (ranging from inter-planetary diplomacy and identity to gender expression). I also enjoyed the variety of narrative modes (which I've learned mimic Dos Passos's USA trilogy, which I will add to my list of to-reads). That was all great! But I didn't really get into the plot. Or the characters. Or the narrative. So! Overall I am glad I read it and will read more Robinson in the future. ( )
  behemothing | Oct 25, 2014 |
In his vibrant, often moving new novel, "2312," Robinson's extrapolation is hard-wired to a truly affecting personal love story.

Kim Stanley Robinson's 17th novel is complex and sometimes bewildering, 500 pages crammed full of strange but decent characters whose actions play out against a vastly constructed utopian background.
added by karenb | editThe Guardian, M John Harrison (Jun 14, 2012)

... [Robinson's] boldest trip into all of the marvelous SF genres—ethnography, future shock, screed against capitalism, road to earth—and all of the ways to thrill and be thrilled. It's a future history that's so secure and comprehensive that it reads as an account of the past—a trick of craft that belongs almost exclusively to the supreme SF task force of Le Guin and Margaret Atwood.
added by karenb | editSlate, Choire Sicha (Jun 1, 2012)

(Starred review) In a spectacularly depicted future of interplanetary colonization, humanity has spread across the entire solar system, from miniature biomes in hollowed-out asteroids to a moving city racing the fatal rays of the sun on Mercury.
added by karenb | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 5, 2012)

A small, clever novel obscured rather than enlightened by philosophy, synthesis, analysis and travelogue.
added by karenb | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 1, 2012)

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"The year is 2312. Scientific and technological advances have opened gateways to an extraordinary future. Earth is no longer humanity's only home; new habitats have been created throughout the solar system on moons, planets, and in between. But in this year, 2312, a sequence of events will force humanity to confront its past, its present, and its future. The first event takes place on Mercury, on the city of Terminator, itself a miracle of engineering on an unprecedented scale. It is an unexpected death, but one that might have been foreseen. For Swan Er Hong, it is an event that will change her life. Swan was once a woman who designed worlds. Now she will be led into a plot to destroy them"--… (more)

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316098124, 0316098116

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible