Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials: Great…

Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials: Great Aliens from Science Fiction… (1979)

by Wayne D. Barlowe, Beth Meacham, Ian Summers

Other authors: Robert Silverberg (Foreword)

Series: Barlowe's Guides

Recently added byprivate library, AnomalyArchive, AllanMGagnon, krmessamer, caess, kcox006, Deep_South_Dude

The writing here isn't spectacular, but the illustrations are great. A great pile of imagination fuel for kids and adult character designers alike. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
Supposedly there are 4 copies in system but none in larger libraries, so little hope of getting my request filled...

--------

request filled in two weeks! thank you Mineral County!

Good book for avid fans of classic SF & fantasy. I would have liked help from these illustrators when reading, for example, [b:Star Surgeon|1695599|Star Surgeon (Sector General, #2)|James White|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1187031294s/1695599.jpg|1692544]. On the other hand, if a reader does have a good imagination, s/he might disagree with these interpretations.

It could also be used as a reading list for someone who wants to read more of the influential works about aliens... but some of the text is a bit spoilery, so maybe not....

Unfortunately, there's no index of titles or authors, or bibliography - the table of contents lists the aliens by name, but since the book organization is already alphabetical, that info. is irrelevant. And it's a fairly small sampling of famous aliens, too - apparently the artists just picked the ones they were in the mood to draw.

Hard to say whether I recommend this or not - depends on what you want it for, I guess.

I did not read every word, but I did look at every entry and read many words, and scan for addendum. Therefore I feel justifed in rating it, despite not actually having it on my 'read' shelf. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I liked the book. But, without knowing many of the back stories of the aliens, I didn't really connect to them. Also, I like how they look in my imagination! The drawings are well done - The illustrator/author is a very talented man. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 1, 2013 |
Critter pictures!

Really, it is interesting to see how someone else imagines the alien creature you also had in your head. Works well as a place to find SF books, too. I might not always agree with the depictions, but I never found it dull. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Mar 30, 2013 |
Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials is a compilation of illustrations by Wayne Barlowe depicting fifty imagined aliens drawn from works of science fiction. The book was first published in 1979, and this edition was printed in 1987, so aliens drawn from more recent works won't be found in its pages. Even so, the books provides an interesting and enjoyable overview of the myriad forms of aliens that science fiction authors envisioned up until that point.

The basic format of the book consists of a two page layout describing and illustrating each alien. Most of the aliens are from fairly well known works of fiction, such as the Overlords from Childhood's End, the Puppeteers from Ringworld (and other books), or the Masters from The City of Gold and Lead, but there are several much more obscure examples from works that either were fairly obscure at the time, or have drifted into obscurity as time has passed. Each two-page spread lists the source work and author for the alien, gives a brief description giving its basic attributes, such as its physical characteristics, habitat, and culture, and a full page full color illustration. Most entries also have a couple of smaller illustration showing unusual or interesting characteristics of the alien in question.

All of the illustrations are well-done, depicting the various aliens with, from what I can tell, fair accuracy. The descriptive text that accompanies each set off illustrations is a little bland, for the most part simply relating the basic descriptions and attributes of the alien in question. In most cases, I think the descriptive text would have been substantially enhanced by the inclusion of a discussing how the alien being described fit into the source material, giving examples of specific characters who are members of the particular alien race, and maybe providing some quotes or very brief excerpts from the originating work. Including this sort of detail would have gone a long way towards making the aliens depicted come alive. As it is, the book is an amazing technical achievement of interpretive illustration, but most of the entries seem somewhat dry and distant.

With its superior illustrations depicting aliens that mostly could otherwise only be imagined based upon written descriptions, this illustrated guide is a very worthwhile addition to any science fiction fan's library. This recommendation comes with the caveat that each description is very dry, and gives limited context as to why the various aliens are interesting or why they were chosen for the book. Anyone who is not already familiar with Dune and its sequels will be unlikely to glean much useful information concerning why they were chosen for inclusion out of the Guild Steersman entry, for example. I don't think it is surprising that the most evocative artwork in the book, in my opinion, is the set of pencil drawings found in the closing pages, which depict several of the aliens from the main body of the book engaged in various activities, but also shows Thyfe, an alien of Barlowe's own invention interacting with an alien landscape of Barlowe's own design. That said, this book is an enjoyable resource that is sure to serve as a walk down memory lane for books one has already read, and possibly a spur to seek out new reading material for books one has not.

This review has also been posted to my blog Dreaming About Other Worlds. ( )
1 vote StormRaven | Dec 1, 2010 |

Wayne D. Barloweprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meacham, Bethmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Summers, Ianmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Silverberg, RobertForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kreloff, CharlesCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Sy and Dorothea, and my sister, Amy, whom I could not love more.

Wayne Douglas Barlowe
To my brother, Henry, and my uncle, Ben Summers, for their love.

Ian Summers

In this illustrated field guide to extraterrestrials-a 1980 nominee for the ABA and Hugo Awards and named one of the Best Books of Spring 1980 by School Library Journal-Wayne Douglas Barlowe paints 50 denizens of popular science fiction literature. 150 full-color paintings show each character not only in full figure but also in detail highlighting distinctive characteristics. Humanoids, insectoids, reptilians, and more are included. Field notes explain movement, diet, respiration, and reproduction habits. The book also features a pull-out chart showing comparative sizes, and a section devoted to Barlowe's own sketchbook of works in progress. Selection of the Science Fiction Book Club. 267,000 copies in print.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:47 -0400)

50 aliens from science fiction plus a special section taken directly for the artist's sketchbook, featuring renderings, notes and locomotive studies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,133,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible