The Dying of the Light: End by Jason…

The Dying of the Light: End (edition 2012)

by Jason Kristopher, Oliver Wetter (Illustrator)

Title:The Dying of the Light: End
Authors:Jason Kristopher
Other authors:Oliver Wetter (Illustrator)
Info:Grey Gecko Press (2012), Edition: 2nd Edition, Hardcover, 378 pages

The Dying of the Light: End by Jason Kristopher

Where will you be when the world ends?

David Blake's world ends on a average day while sitting in the back room of his bookshop. The life he has built with his fiance Rachel and stepson Eric becomes nothing more than memories in a few hours. It through this tragedy he becomes acquainted with the US Army, and signs on to fight the newest threat to humanity: zombies. Blake is thrust into the world of tactics and weapons, finding that perhaps on the front lines is just where he belongs, not in a small town selling literature.

Kristopher created an interesting universe with his first novel The Dying of the Light: End. Zombies are a real threat, the governments are working together to save man kind using elite fighting platoons and prions (you know, those proteins that are responsible for mad cow disease) are the cause for zombies. Essentially, Kristopher gives zombie literature a new way to categorize zombies: something in the realm of virology, which I can definitely get on board with. The author also includes links to prion research, and various zombie literature for the curious reader (suggested reading!).

Although I was fascinated with the biological basis of zombie-infection, I found that the fresh point of view that Kristopher uses is also very relevant to the rebooting of zombie literature foundations. Blake is a man who is part of a ubber secret group of men and women who covertly attempt to stem off infection. Who are the people who are willing to risk their lives without anyone knowing? How do those on the front lines of the epidemic feel, react and manage such a monumental task? Instead of focusing on the Average Joe, Kristopher blazes ahead where most zombie fiction only treads lightly. Fantastic!

This being said, why not a full 5 stars? Kristopher holds out the proverbial carrot for far too long. The introduction of the villain, the villain's plans and the catalyst to tie Blake to him all revealed far to too late into the story. The emergence of the villain alone took far too long to capture interest. I honestly felt the book started far too slow, and the ending took far too long. This being said, this also contributed to the world building which was important for the story to continue.

The twist also happened fairly late, being almost tacked on mid-climax and was mentioned again only briefly in the end. It would have been a great idea to weave this revelation into the story post climax to keep the reader enticed by what the second book has to offer. Obviously, these are mistakes that Kristopher made while writing his first book, and cannot be reflected in his later work.

Side note: this book can get cheesy. "Damn you. Damn you straight hell" and "We will not go quietly into the night" do appear and it certainly took away from the believability of the story. Of course, I just hate cheesy lines like that in non-satirical literature!

In the end, if you're into the zombie literature craze, or like a good military-apocalyptic novel, you should check out this book - it takes a new spin and focuses on the lesser known elements in apocalyptic literature and zombie catastrophes.

Ill definitely be reading book two, and cannot stress enough how fantastic it would be if Kristopher wrote a book concerning the rapid fall of civilization once the existence of zombies were made public. ( )
  trigstarom | Sep 19, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First zombie book ever, took me a while to get into the story but once I did I could not put it down, definitely reading second part and see how the story ends!!! ( )
  albamr | Jun 11, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The dying of the Light by Jason Kristopher was an excellent read I did not want to put it down or stop reading it till the end. I would read a sequel to it as well. I would highly recommend this book to others. ( )
  Rottie | Jun 11, 2013 |
Zombie-military novel, with a surprising touch of romance amidst the apocalypse. Significantly better than the cover art would suggest, but I'm not familiar enough with the genre – or the real-world military – to know if the military elements are solid, or if they'd throw an expert right out of the story, but it worked for me. Bleak, indeed, but the first of a series, apparently, so maybe there's room for hope there – the author certainly tries to suggest it in this book's ending, but it's hard to overcome the sheer, well, bleakness of the concept.
(received from Member Giveaways) ( )
  AlexDraven | Mar 24, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is only the second zombie book I have ever read the other being the excellent world war z. I enjoyed the book and found some of the characters interesting. I found the Dreibach (sp?) character by far the most interesting but unfortunately he wasn't used much during the book. Some of the scenarios were a little convenient with them always finding usable jet fuel and runway. Also I found the conclusion a little to neatly wrapped up whereas I would assume in a real zombie apocalypse there would be no happy endings. Overall an enjoyable little distraction from the zombieless real world. ( )
  Shelco | Mar 5, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 098361850X, Paperback)

"The best zombie book since World War Z..." - Arthur S, Amazon Review

"I read at least a book a day of all genres and I can honestly say that I am amazed that this is the first book Jason Kristopher has written. And, unlike many zombie books that are a short and easy read, this is a real novel. I can't wait to read the next installment." - RandiTS, Amazon Review

"This is a wonderful zombie/military novel! Kristopher's invigorating prose and storytelling abilities blew me away as I read. He's taken a mythical concept and created an extremely scary novel intertwining real world current events with the zombie apocalypse." - A Book Vacation, Amazon Review

"I didn't see Rebecca die the second time."

The United States military hides a secret: the completely real existence of eat-your-brains, one-bite-and-you're-dead zombies. The Army has known they exist for over a hundred years, and has been quietly and expertly keeping the secret.

Until now.

His hometown destroyed, with everyone he has ever known dead and gone, the sole survivor of the massacre at Fall Creek joins a secret military group to combat the single greatest threat our world has ever faced. Unfortunately, his help may come too late. Even as victories over the walkers mount, the seeds of our ultimate doom are sown from within, and at the last, only a brave few may survive to carry on.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:58 -0400)

Jason Kristopher is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

2 wanted2 pay1 pay

Grey Gecko Press

4 editions of this book were published by Grey Gecko Press.

Editions: 098361850X, 0983618542, 0983618534, 193882136X

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Dying of the Light: Interval by Jason Kristopher was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,888,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible