Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by…

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home (2011)

by Jeni Britton Bauer

1206100,400 (4.18)None

How's your life? Pretty good? Okay?
Want to be happier? Make ice cream from this book. Seriously, they are recipes for happiness. The happiest ice cream in the whole world. And you made it yourself! In your own kitchen with ingredients that you bought in whole form from your favorite market!
Recommended for anyone who loves good, quality food and a higher standard of living. ( )
  JLSmither | Aug 22, 2013 |
Read it cover to cover and then ordered an ice cream maker immediately. Can't wait to make some lemon sorbet, salty caramel and queen city cayenne!! ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
I was led to Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by the folks at The Bitten Word food blog. Like many, I had an ice cream maker gathering dust in the basement. While the 2 recipes I tried were yummy (Strawberry Buttermilk and Rhubarb), I still won't be making my own ice cream regularly. While her technique is easier than making custard with eggs, it is still too time consuming to do on a regular basis. ( )
  Julie_loves_to_read | Mar 31, 2013 |
I've made ice cream at home before (like the good little ice cream lover that I am) but the consistency has never been quite up to my liking. The desserts always turned out a bit harder than I prefer and Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home claims to have a new DIY recipe to remedy this problem. I won't give away any secret ingredients - sorry! But I will say that her ice cream base is yum-tastic!

After going through the basics, the book is split up by season. Each season is filled with delectable recipes and then ends with some mouth-watering sundae suggestions. Here's some of my favorite flavor recipes:

Spring: Savannah Buttermint Ice Cream
Summer: Sweet Corn & Black Raspberry Ice Cream
Autumn: Roasted Pumpkin Five-Spice Ice Cream
Winter: Influenza RX Sorbet (citrus, honey, spices, and bourbon to cure the sniffles!)

Jeni Britton Bauer even includes recipes for macaroon ice cream sandwiches and homemade push-pops! I highly suggest this book for any ice cream aficionado or for those who want to test out their ice cream makers!
  KatPruce | Jun 4, 2012 |
Oh man. I just tried my first batch from this book, and is it ever GOOD! Great flavor, and pretty much the best texture I've ever gotten out of my ice cream maker. My only complaint is the ridiculous number of dirty dishes sitting in my sink...
If you want to make ice cream at home, I recommend this book! ( )
  jjlangel | Mar 2, 2012 |

Demonstrates how to prepare professional-quality ice creams, yogurts, and sorbets using unique flavors and minimally processed milk to create flavors including salty caramel and roasted pumpkin five-spice ice cream.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible