Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America…

Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Jeff Ryan

Member:lefthand42
Title:Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America
Authors:Jeff Ryan
Info:Portfolio Hardcover (2011), Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:Technology

Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America by Jeff Ryan (2011)

Good overview of the Nintendo history and by extension the console market from the arcades to the Playstation/Xbox times. It is told in an informal tone that catches the attention and make it an easy reading. Sadly the contents are pretty much second hand. Most of the information seems to be available online and it is superficial. This description of the rise and evolution of the company, with some controversial key decisions, is asking for more first-hand content. What about an interview with Miyamoto? That would be something. ( )
  ivan.frade | Jan 15, 2014 |
Listened to from Jul 31-Aug 7, 2012

Audio Reivew - Super fun non-fiction is the best kind. Listening to this reminded me of Ready Player One -- it makes a great non-fiction companion to the awesomeness that is RPO. I also really want to play Super Mario Bros now. I learned quite a bit about Nintendo and the history of gaming consoles. (And I really want a Wii now...I'll wait for the Wii U to hit shelves.)

I do have one problem...Mr Ryan, people DO still use the library. Yes, you can find many answers by doing a Google search, but not always reliable answers and it isn't always quick or easy when there are millions of search results. ( )
  melissarochelle | Mar 31, 2013 |
ARC provided by netGalley

Mario. The iconic figure that we all know and love from many classic video games (many of which people continue to hunt for and play to this day.) He was one of the first heroes that anyone could imagine themselves being in video games (even if he is a slightly pudgy plumber.) He captured our imagination and our hearts oh so many years ago and this book chronicles not only his rise to fame, but how Nintendo became the worldwide phenomenon that it is.

You wouldn’t think a book about a video game company would be such a compelling read. But Nintendo isn’t just any video game company. And Mario isn’t your average video game character. Mario is that one character that we can all recognize and relate to. And this book does a masterful job of not only giving us the history behind Mario (did you know that he was Donkey Kong’s captor at one point?), but also gives us the history of the company and how it survived when so many other didn’t.

Ryan balances the successes and failures of Nintendo in this book and avoids being overly gushing about the company even though he’s a fan. He presents a fairly straightforward history of the company, where it came from, how it came to America, and some of the big chances they took to conquer the world. He provides some fascinating insights into how the company revolutionized the gaming world.

Even if you aren’t a big fan of gaming systems, this is still a book worth picking up because it’s easy to read and lets us know more about that pudgy little plumber from Brooklyn that conquered the world. ( )
  zzshupinga | Feb 26, 2012 |
I didn't find this book dull, but there were some glaring editing issues that made it hard to read in spots. At one point, when discussing the CD based gaming system - the text uses "Philips" and "Panasonic" interchangeably over two pages.

There were were also a few paragraphs that just sort of ended, A couple that just sort of rambled, and a few that when I finished it, I couldn't help but say "what?" - and reread it (sometimes multiple times) and ended up with the same reaction.

In the notes to the book, the author states that he easily could have stretched the book out to twice it's size, but cut it down to make it more "user friendly". I agree with this decision, as the flow of the book seems to follow fairly well under this model - however, the copy editor needs to be smacked for not doing their job a little better and actually making sure things made sense, subjects agreed with verbs, etc.

Overall, a decent history, and I do recommend the book - just be willing to read it for information, and glean facts from that - don't expect it to be read flawlessly and you will be fine.

One other note - I have to agree that it waxes poetic about Mario a little bit too much. While I suppose if you look at the title as "Super Mario, How Nintendo Conquered America" it's fine, but if you but the colon in there (expecting the book to be about Nintendo's dominance over the past 3 decades in gaming, but cleverly named after their #1 superhero) it falls short. ( )
  FlyoverNative | Nov 7, 2011 |
A disappointingly dull book, this history of Nintendo and its most popular creation seems to go on forever. A few pictures might have helped, but not enough. ( )
  wanack | Aug 17, 2011 |

Nintendo has continually set the standard for video game innovation in America, and the saga of Mario, the portly plumber who became the most successful franchise in the history of gaming, has plot twists worthy of a video game.

42 wanted1 pay4 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,700,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible