Critical Terms for Literary Study by Frank…

Critical Terms for Literary Study (edition 1995)

by Frank Lentricchia, Thomas McLaughlin (Editor)

Member:trav
Title:Critical Terms for Literary Study
Authors:Frank Lentricchia
Other authors:Thomas McLaughlin (Editor)
Info:University Of Chicago Press (1995), Edition: Second Edition, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Unread - total
Tags:literary theory, books about books

Critical Terms for Literary Study by Frank Lentricchia

Indispensable for students and teachers alike. I use it almost every time I teach any subject to undergraduates.
  lilysea | Jul 3, 2008 |
I know this is a textbook and people probably don't review textbooks that often, but I really loved this book. I continue to pick it up when I want to think about something I read in there. It's full of essays on things like "Interpretation" and "Intention" by talented professors who discuss whether there should be a literary canon or whether or not an author's intention should matter on how to interpret his novel. ( )
  flh4ever | Feb 19, 2008 |

Frank Lentricchiaprimary authorall editionscalculated
McLaughlin, ThomasEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0226472035, Paperback)

Since its publication in 1990, Critical Terms for Literary Study has become a landmark introduction to the work of literary theory—giving tens of thousands of students an unparalleled encounter with what it means to do theory and criticism. Significantly expanded, this new edition features six new chapters that confront, in different ways, the growing understanding of literary works as cultural practices.

These six new chapters are "Popular Culture," "Diversity," "Imperialism/Nationalism," "Desire," "Ethics," and "Class," by John Fiske, Louis Menand, Seamus Deane, Judith Butler, Geoffrey Galt Harpham, and Daniel T. O'Hara, respectively. Each new essay adopts the approach that has won this book such widespread acclaim: each provides a concise history of a literary term, critically explores the issues and questions the term raises, and then puts theory into practice by showing the reading strategies the term permits.

Exploring the concepts that shape the way we read, the essays combine to provide an extraordinary introduction to the work of literature and literary study, as the nation's most distinguished scholars put the tools of critical practice vividly to use.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:50 -0400)

Exploring the concepts that shape the way we read, the essays combine to provide an extraordinary introduction to the work of literature and literary study. Each essay provides a concise history of a literary term, critically explores the issues and questions the term raises, and then puts theory into practice by showing the reading strategies the term permits.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,258,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible