Erasing hell : what God said about eternity…

Erasing hell : what God said about eternity and the things we made up (edition 2011)

by Francis Chan, Preston M. Sprinkle

Member:rpdan
Title:Erasing hell : what God said about eternity and the things we made up
Authors:Francis Chan
Other authors:Preston M. Sprinkle
Info:Colorado Springs, CO : David C Cook, 2011.
Rating:***
Tags:hell, theology

Erasing Hell: What God said about eternity, and the things we made up by Francis Chan

This is a popular level rebuttal of Rob Bell's Love Wins. Chan (and Sprinkle) are humble and conversational and tone and review a number of texts. I don't think they are right about everything, but I don't think Rob Bell is either. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
I love Francis Chan's writing style. I find him to be equal parts honest, academic, compassionate, and challenging. I don't always agree with where he lands on issues, but his writing style is sufficiently clear so that I can trace how he landed at his position.

Erasing Hell, in many ways, is a response to Rob Bell's popular (and heretical) book Love Wins, in which Bell departs from the historically Christian position on eternal damnation of the lost. This book interacts with Bell's larger arguments. In the first three chapters, Chan and Sprinkle cite Bell 14 times.

There is much to commend in Erasing Hell. It is thoroughly biblical, pastoral in tone, and culturally sensitive. Chapter 6 was perhaps my favorite chapter. Chan and Sprinkle bite off Romans 9, seeking to understand a God who sends people to hell. They write, "[W]e must come to a place where we can let God be God. We need to surrender our perceived right to determine what is just and humbly recognize that God alone gets to decide how He is going to deal with people" (131). The authors want us to see a big, biblical view of God. We need to stop crawfishing, and let God defend himself. "Like the nervous kid who tries to keep his friends from seeing his drunken father, I have tried to hide God at times. Who do I think I am? The truth is, God is perfect and right in all that He does. I am a fool for thinking otherwise. He does not need nor want me to 'cover' for Him. There's nothing to be covered. Everything about Him and all He does is perfect" (133). Amen, brothers!

As I mentioned earlier, I don't always agree with where Chan and Sprinkle land. They almost seem to embrace annihilationism. But, as I mentioned earlier, I can see how they arrive at their position. They even do so by examining Scripture. They write, "The debate about hell's duration is much more complex than I first assumed. While I lean heavily on the side that says it is everlasting, I am not ready to claim that with complete certainty" (86). Furthermore, they opt on the side that says the fire in hell is metaphorical, a position that I find unnecessary. "Fire is used metaphorically thought Scripture, and I agree with the host of evangelical scholars above that fire is probably not to be taken literally when it's used to describe hell" (154).

Erasing Hell is a book that evangelicals need to read. Doing so will help us stop apologizing for God's retributive actions. Our culture denies the existence of hell, not simply because it doesn't like the idea, but because it refusing to acknowledge God's sovereign rule and reign over his creation. Chan and Sprinkle help guide the discussion back to where it needs to be - the authority of Scripture. ( )
  RobSumrall | Mar 15, 2017 |
It's hard to give five stars to a book on Hell.
This is clearly not the kind of inspiring and challenging book that has made Francis Chan so well known, but it is an important book because of all those who want to explain away Hell. In his characteristic way, Chan goes open-handed to Scripture and asks what God reveals about it there.
It is a short book, mercifully. The main book is only about 140 short pages. In the first four chapters Chan unpacks what Scripture says about Hell. This portion is clear, if difficult to read. Then in chapter 5-7 he turns to how Christians should respond to this teaching. Here we see Chan's gift for challenging our thinking with the truths of Scripture. It is worth the payoff.
Perhaps the best summary can be found in this quote from page 148:
"While hell can be a paralyzing doctrine, it can also be an energizing one, for it magnifies the beauty of the cross.
Hell is the backdrop that reveals the profound and unbelievable grace of the cross. It brings to light the enormity of our sin and therefore portrays the undeserved favor of God in full color."

Whether or not recent conversations have left you confused about Hell, gird up and read this book. ( )
  HGButchWalker | Sep 21, 2016 |
In the end, his conclusion was the same as the one he began with, and so there was nothing particularly new here, but I DID appreciate his honest desire to go through the process with such care and detail. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
Very thought provoking,and helped me to deal with some questions/doubts I've been struggling with recently. Recommend it for any Christian who is troubled by the idea of Hell as most of us have been taught to understand it. ( )
  TeresaKander | Aug 4, 2014 |

Chan, Francisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sprinkle, Prestonmain authorall editionsconfirmed

How could a loving God send people to hell? Will people have a chance after they die to believe in Jesus and go to heaven?

With a humble respect for God's Word, Francis Chan and Preston Sprinkle address the deepest questions you have about eternal destiny. They've asked the same questions. Like you, sometimes they just don't want to believe in hell. But as they write, "We cannot afford to be wrong on this issue." This is not a book about who is saying what. It's a book about what God says. It's not a book about impersonal theological issues. It's a book about people who God loves. It's not a book about arguments, doctrine, or being right. It's a book about the character of God.

Erasing Hell will immerse you in the truth of Scripture as, together with the authors, you find not only the truth but the courage to live it out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:48 -0400)

Addressing a variety of views on hell, the Bible, and the character of God, offers an eloquent response to the recent media storm surrounding questions of eternal destiny.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible