The Impenetrable Forest: My Gorilla Years in…

The Impenetrable Forest: My Gorilla Years in Uganda, Revised Edition

by Thor Hanson

I loved this book! I heard Thor Hanson speak at the Whatcom Writers' Conference and bought it there. He was a generous teacher, and this book is outstanding. As a Peace Corps volunteer, Hanson served a two-year stint in Uganda, where his job was to habituate gorillas to be comfortable around people, thus supporting the tourist trade there. We get to know the rich stories of the people and the gorillas he gets to know. His stories are filled with both humor and pathos. ( )
  NadineFeldman | Mar 21, 2016 |
  Nadine_Feldman | Aug 26, 2015 |
I saw Hanson at Powell's and really enjoyed his talk. He was warm, charismatic and funny. He's a better speaker than he is a writer, I think. The book is interesting but it drags in many places. The plight of the gorillas is juxtaposed with the lives of the people around them in a very moving fashion. There's a lot of good information here. I wish the picture quality was better, all the photos are grainy black and white on matte paper. I hope Hanson keeps writing. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Read this just before hiking on the Uganda/Rwanda border to photograph these apes. ( )
  dickcraig | Aug 20, 2008 |

“From my back window the forest rose in a wall of green, every possible shade, as if the whole spectrum were made from one color...”

So begins Thor Hanson’s remarkable journey into the heart of Africa. Lying in the remote hills of southwest Uganda, the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest harbors elephants, chimpanzees, monkeys, and half the world’s population of endangered mountain gorillas. For two years Hanson called the forest home, working with local guides and trackers to develop a gorilla tourism program in the newly formed Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.

Thoroughly researched and beautifully told, Hanson’s story blends natural history with cultural insight to place the forest and the gorillas in the context of modern Africa. He writes of “the inseparable weave of people and landscape,” and how in Uganda, the survival of either depends upon the survival of both. At once humorous, revealing and poignant, The Impenetrable Forest offers a rare and unforgettable glimpse into the world of mountain gorillas and the human cultures that surround them.

A portion of the proceeds from this book will be donated to help protect and preserve mountain gorillas in the wild.

“fascinating…very well written.”—Gorilla Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:32 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible