Amish-Inspired Quilts: Tradition with a…

Amish-Inspired Quilts: Tradition with a Piece O'Cake Twist

by Becky Goldsmith, Linda Jenkins

612194,696 (4)None

I often look through the Piece O’Cake books at stores, sigh and don’t buy them. I love Love LOVE the quilts, the beautiful photos, the authors’ designs and the layout of their books. I would love it if they just wrote a book with photos of all of their quilts in it. I don’t usually buy their books, because there are a small number of pages with photographs of quilts and most of the book is taken up by patterns. I don’t need or want to make the exact quilts that they have made.

Piece O’Cake Designs creates quilts with lots of fabric which are cheerful and fun. Someone gave me this book as a gift and I read a bit of the introduction (before the patterns). I was pleased to have done so, because they had written some really interesting information on using solid fabrics more effectively. Reading the bit in the front also made me examine the photos of the quilts more closely.

Thus, I was pleasantly surprised when I started to read Amish-Inspired Quilts. First off, I liked the way Becky talked about her sons in the dedication, but mostly I liked the way they talked about using using solid fabrics.

I used to use a lot of solids. I liked the simplicity and the depth they created in quilts. They can be a bit harder to use if something doesn’t make them stand out. I have gotten away from using solids as I have progressed in my quiltmaking.

The authors say in the first section on color “These quilts feel bold. They often feel contemporary, which is a testament to their classic beauty. The design of the quilt itself is very important when working with solids. Solid fabric has no pattern–the visual texture is smooth. The riot of color that comes with prints, plaids, and stripes is not there. When you use only solid fabric in a quilt, each shape is clearly defined. The structure of the pattern is for all to see.”

I had a strong reaction to the above statement when I read it, because when I used solid fabrics, I was trying to take out some of the many variables of quiltmaking, so I could understand it. As my skills improved, I got away from the simplicity. Perhaps, lately, I have been trying to regain some simplicity by using simple patterns. Consider Thoughts on Dots. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
WMQG#O-1142
  WestMichiganQuilters | Nov 25, 2007 |

Becky Goldsmithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jenkins, Lindamain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible