Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood) by…

Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood) (edition 2012)

by J.R. Ward

Member:ThamaraBCDL
Title:Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Authors:J.R. Ward
Info:NAL Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 592 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Lover Reborn by J. R. Ward

English (71)  Czech (1)  All languages (72)
Wow. I was pretty skeptical about handling Tohr's story after Wellsie. But I really think it was well done. The book spanned a year, and at 600 or so pages, it makes it not seem rushed. Also, I really liked No'One. Her character is part of what made it work, to me. I love me a traumatized heroine who is struggling with self-doubt and insecurity and she is very much that. Except rather than struggling, she is accepting of it. Her path to healing was beautiful to read and heartbreaking. I was a little saddened by the stress in JM and Xhex's relationship - I kinda like my HEAs in romance even if it is unrealistic (hell, probably because it is unrealistic - yay for escapism). It took up a fair portion of the book, too. But I really was surprised at the way the gender stuff was handled between them - Ward's writing sometimes strikes me as somewhat disdainful towards women in general, so I was a bit impressed with the progressive way the conflict between JM and Xhex was portrayed. I am pretty excited to see Xcor's book, and of course BRING ON QHUINN AND BLAY'S STORY ALREADY!!!! Overall, this was great, lots of good angst but really, I can't give it a full four only because it made me cry a bit, hitting too close to home. Really, that makes it a better book, but I really, really hate being sad. (3.5 stars) ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
The wait is finally over! I'm happy Tohr gets a second chance and I have to say, I was actually impressed. I had doubts and some of my feelings haven't changed, but I think it turned out good.

Attention! If you haven't read the book and you don't want even the tiniest spoiler, don't read further!

First of all, I believe Lover Reborn is better than Lover Unleashed. There wasn't a question as to who's book was it really, I knew it was Tohr and No'One's and even thought there were a lot of subplots, they didn't take up too much space. Second, we get to see Lassiter a lot more and I have to say, I love that angel.

I have to be honest here. The moment I heard that No'One was going to be Tohr's HEA I thought there was no way it would work out. While I don't agree with No'One's actions in the past, I get from where she's coming and I understand her reasoning. I do believe she needed a full male, one that would love her and only her, but then again, she seemed happy and truly in love with Tohr. So maybe my fears, worries and doubts have no real base left. I was genuinely surprised by their relationship, pleasantly so.

As for the subplots, there was one that bothered me a lot. I saw a video on Ward's Facebook profile in which she explained the John/Xhex subplot a little and half of it I understood and I accepted. I mean, yes, I do know that it's not all rainbows and unicorns and that even fictional couples have fights. But at the end of the book I was expecting... more. I was waiting for the sun to be up in the sky once more and while they seemed to be happy again, I needed the certainty. And maybe this is going to sound a little paranoid, but I'm actually a little afraid now for the other couples as well. While I love learning about the earlier couples that I loved and cried and laughed with, (in all of the series I read, not just the BDB), I like knowing that even if they have a fight, at the end of the day the kiss and make up. I'm wondering if all the Brothers will go through similar phases like John and Xhex. But maybe that's just me.

I was waiting for more Qhuay action. And I'm probably the only one that's hoping Layla plays a big part in their HEA (read: I hope they become a permanent threesome!!). I really do. My heart broke for Layla, again. With each book it seems she's getting more hits and I'm sad, because I truly like her.

Xcor...I don't have much to say about him, except to wish him a quick death. I hate him. I really do. And I found myself wishing for a new, meaner boss for the lessers to come and overshadow Xcor. I know some readers might like him, but I'd rather miss the lessers.

Then there's a new vampire in town, one who I think has a lot of cards up his sleeves. I got a feeling he'll be a major player in the next books and I'm anxious to see what he's capable of.

All in all it was a good book. Not the best, but close. I'm now waiting for the news on who's next in the BDB world to get his/her story written (I'm hoping Qhuay). ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
3.5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
4.5 I Cried Myself to Sleep Stars.

Characters:

Tohr. Oh my I love me some Tohr but there were times when I wanted to jump through my Kindle and knock the hell out of him..I have never lost my husband and I am not sure how I would react but there is a time when you have to stop with the pity train and Move On.. Something else I hate when a man plays a woman (okay all you sexist pigs: I hate when a woman plays a man too!) Tohr.Tohr.Tohr. You made my heart hurt but, if you have that cute, funny, spectacular angel Lassiter telling you that you have to let goooo.. Then try harder and do something to save that precious Wellsie of yours.. Allow her to go into the Fade with your child it is never easy to be stuck in between…

No’One/Autumn – Girl, you got you a fine speciman there so stop telling him you love him (in your sleep) .. You annoyed me though because I would have at least reached up and “bitch” slapped that fool when he told me I did not matter to him.. But, in the end you did what you had to do so I earned mad respect for you!

The Story ….

John and Xhex you annoyed the hell out of me for most of this book….So much that I had to take away half of the star. I understand John can’t talk but, he can sign and the two of you need to get your stuff together.

Wrath and Beth — I love the heck out of you! I can’t say enough how the mushy, gushy, lovey, dovey, mess makes me swoon.

Lassiter — I love that freakin Angel with all of my heart

All my other Brotherhood — There were few interactions within the book with the Brotherhood so I will wave Hi when I see you and yell I miss you so..

Quinn and Layla — What the freakin freak?

The Band of Brothers — I think you all need to look forward to a good butt kicking after the shiiiiiiiiiit you pulled in this one.

Which gets me to the one part of the book that had me laying in the bed crying my eyes out and actually brought this one book from 4 – 4.5 stars for me…

The Fade Ceremony

“Life was short, no matter how many days you were granted. And people were precious, each and every one, no matter how many you were lucky enough to have in your life. And love… love was worth dying for.
Worth living for, too. -Tohrment”

It was beautiful, wonderful, and everything that I needed… I would definitely recommend this book if you haven’t read it.. It does get long in places..but the last 10% of the book are worth every second that you go through this book.

Review also posted at my new Blogspot --> http://iforgot2tellya.wordpress.com/

Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
This book did not go at all how I thought it would. In the end I still really enjoyed it, but not quite as much as the others. This was definitely slow to start, it took me forever to really get into it. Once it got going it was great, but I don't know it just lacked a little something for me. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Jun 24, 2016 |
"The quick and the dead are all the same. Everyone's just looking for home." -- Lassiter
DEDICATED TO: YOU
it has been so long,
too long,
since you have had a home.
"The bastard's taking the bridge!  He's mine!"

Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment has been unrecognizable from the vampire leader he once was. Physically emaciated and heartbroken beyond despair, he has been brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel. Now, fighting once again with ruthless vengeance, he is unprepared to face a new kind of tragedy.

When Tohr begins to see his beloved in his dreams—trapped in a cold, isolated netherworld far from the peace and tranquillity of the Fade—he turns to the angel in hopes of saving the one he has lost. But because Lassiter tells him he must learn to love another to free his former mate, Tohr knows they are all doomed....

Except then a female with a shadowed history begins to get through to him. Against the backdrop of the raging war with the lessers, and with a new clan of vampires vying for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between the buried past and a very hot, passion-filled future…but can his heart let go and set all of them free?

Tohrment, a Black Dagger Brother, is given a second chance at love and life after losing everything.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,411,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible