Lover Reborn: A Novel of the Black Dagger…

Lover Reborn: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood (edition 2012)

by J.R. Ward

Not my favorite out of the series...so far.

These books are campy, cheesy, adventurous, and original. I hate that I love reading these.

It reminds me of when I go to the grocery and buy something like fiery hot Cheetos, or bacon flavored SPAM. Or even those cheap pot pies in the frozen section, or a bag of pork rinds. I have to shop produce first because then I can...or ONE can hide them under the healthy food. You don't want people to know that you love those things but you can't stop buying them from time to time, or in this case, reading them.

So I've heard.... ( )
  fueledbycoffee | Jun 21, 2015 |
There are so many stories and things happening in this book that I'm going to have to divide it into chunks. So...this is Tohrment's book. And that's about all I am going to say outside of the spoiler tag!

TOHRMENT
Okay, I am going to be honest here and say that I don't think that Tohr was ready for his own book and romance. He's still seriously grieving for Wellsie and has been since she was killed. I think he needed a few more books to cool his jets and maybe start to see that he's still alive before throwing him into a romance. But...that didn't happen, much like I think that Z needed a lot more time before his own romance. Whatever.

I liked the character of Tohr, mostly, throughout the series, but damn, this book made me hate him. More on that below. But I did like to see that he's finally, finally, trying to act like a father to JM again, because that boy needs it.

TOHRMENT/AUTUMN (NO'ONE)/WELLSIE
Yeah, it was a total threesome, because Wellsie was present for most of it, at least in Tohr's tormented (ha) brain.

Tohr basically starts getting involved with Autumn (more on that below) because he discovers that Wellsie is trapped in the In Between, a place that sounds a lot like the Christian purgatory, because he just can't let go of her.

At this point, and for most of the book, Tohr just feels like an incredible user - and Autumn allows this, because in her mind, she's just around to be used. Tohr even admits to as much toward the end of the book, which almost made me want to throw my Kindle across the room.

I just don't believe the romance between Autumn and Tohr, and I found myself liking Tohr less and less as it progressed.

I don't like that Tohr names Autumn, even though she gives him permission to do so. No.

I don't like that Tohr is aware that Autumn is falling in love with him and does nothing to spare her feelings or shield her, but keeps using her for his own needs.

I just don't like Tohr anymore. Thanks a lot, Ward, because he was one of my favorites until this book. Damn it.

TOHRMENT/WELLSIE
Okay, I get that he loves her. And I get that he would do anything for her. But does that really mean that he starts using another woman, who has a seriously fucked up and traumatized past which TOHR KNOWS ABOUT BECAUSE HE SAW THE AFTERMATH A LONG TIME AGO, so he can spring Wellsie? The whole damned scenario felt skeevy as hell to me.

And then, in the end, we discover that there hasn't even been a Fade ceremony performed yet for Wellsie! Her ashes have been in V's closet this entire time! WHAT THE FUCK! Does anyone think that maybe, maybe, MAYBE that is why she hasn't entered the Fade yet? But Tohr doesn't seem to even consider THIS possibility.

We know from Throe, who is a member of the Band of Bastards, that a Fade ceremony needs to be performed so everything can be settled - that's why he's so desperate to get his sister's remains from Xcor.

Dude. Come on. Do the Fade ceremony already before you start sleeping with someone else to prove that you're over your mate (which you aren't). Stupid.

JOHN MATTHEW/XHEX
I can totally see them butting heads and having problems, because the Brotherhood is dripping with testosterone and the "must protect the females because they are weak" mentality, and Xhex is the biggest badass in the books. A little disappointed that JM would cop that attitude with her, but in the end, he learns his lesson. They remain one of my favorite couples (the other being Z/Bella)

I WOULD BE XHEX'S BITCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK
Umm, just thought that I would put that out there. :D

I love that she called the Brotherhood on their misogyny. I just wish that some of the other female characters had backed her up in that. Particularly Payne, who used to be a badass but is now just a Chosen slightly more backbone and fighting skills. The rest of the female characters seem content to be coddled and protected and basically treated as china dolls rather than people after they are mated, and that just pisses me off. Even characters who had a backbone pre-mating (Bella, for example), tend to lose all character and become two-dimensional post-mating. Dislike, Ward. Dislike.

BAND OF BASTARDS AND XCOR
It was kind of meh until Xcor gutted Throe. Suddenly I liked Xcor and his angst a lot more, and Throe became his own character.

XCOR AND LAYLA
I like it. So shoot me.

QHUINN/BLAY
Yummmm delicious angst. I know the next book is theirs, so I am so looking forward to it. Except bad timing on Qhuinn's part, having just knocked up a Chosen.

QHUINN/LAYLA
Hold the phone, why did this even happen? I mean, seriously. I know that they are both in bad places mentally, but I don't see how bringing a child into the mess, especially when they aren't even a couple, is going to solve anything. Children do not solve life problems, guys.
  schatzi | Jun 6, 2015 |
Ok, this couple was also meh for me, near the end I found myself skipping their drama to see what was going on with the rest.

Good thing: Quinn-Blay are next!
I also liked Layla's development, at least until the sudden I-am-so-alone-and-you-too-so-let's-make-a-kid. WTF!? The Xchor thing was so perfect, especially because I like the B.o.B. but then we get this...we knew it was coming but...way to be smooth about it! And just after that heat of the moment stupid decision Quinn finally decides to man up? Great. Well, more drama for them and maybe something good for Layla. I guess we'll get stories about the B.o.B members now that they became so interesting :). Can't wait for the next one.
  aka_no_joou | May 19, 2015 |
At first I didn't want to read Thor's story, I am so glad I did. Ward has stepped it up. In this book she grabs us emotionally with all the characters. Sometimes you want to slap them, other times you want to cry with them and still others you want to laugh. Who thought I could hate Thor, well in parts of this book I did only for him to creep back into my good graces. I loved the Xhex and John story line as well. To say anymore would be to give away the plot. So just check it out for yourself. Onto the next.. ( )
  ladtysreflect | May 11, 2015 |
I really loved Thor and Autumn's story. John and Xhex really went through some things in this book too. I love the way Ward keeps all the story lines intertwined.

Read With Me: Lover Reborn
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
"The quick and the dead are all the same. Everyone's just looking for home." -- Lassiter
"The bastard's taking the bridge!  He's mine!"

Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment has been unrecognizable from the vampire leader he once was. Physically emaciated and heartbroken beyond despair, he has been brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel. Now, fighting once again with ruthless vengeance, he is unprepared to face a new kind of tragedy.

When Tohr begins to see his beloved in his dreams—trapped in a cold, isolated netherworld far from the peace and tranquillity of the Fade—he turns to the angel in hopes of saving the one he has lost. But because Lassiter tells him he must learn to love another to free his former mate, Tohr knows they are all doomed....

Except then a female with a shadowed history begins to get through to him. Against the backdrop of the raging war with the lessers, and with a new clan of vampires vying for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between the buried past and a very hot, passion-filled future…but can his heart let go and set all of them free?

Tohrment, a Black Dagger Brother, is given a second chance at love and life after losing everything.

580 wanted4 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,462,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible