Lover Reborn: A Novel of the Black Dagger…

Lover Reborn: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood (edition 2012)

by J.R. Ward

Fair warning, there will be SNARK and SLIGHT SPOILERS.

You know I read only handful of PNR novels these days, right? When I just started with anything paranormal I've binged on J.R.Ward, Lara Adrian, Christine Feehan and Lynn Viehl until Laurell K. Hamilton made me see the light.

Since then I love my ladies bloody, tough and shooting before asking...

...but still feel obliged to continue with these lucky four for the old time sake.

Lover Reborn was fun, surprisingly so. It's just SO RIDICULOUSLY over dramatic, it felt right. Tohr and his angst, No One ((let me tell you how much I disliked that name. A LOT!) and her life of passive servitude, Qhuinn and Blay with their angstilicious love, Xcor and his big manly tears...

OOOH, THE DRAMA! The smart-ass remarks, the manly humour. I liked all that. It was an enjoyable, surprisingly fast read.

Two things that made me excited:

Lassiter's comic relief role has a very touching ending, plus this dude has a sparkling personality. Literally.

Assail had a dark appeal which Rehvenge somehow lost when he faded in the background, and I expect him to appear with his own story soon.

Three things I couldn't give a fig about:

Tohr and No One relationship was excruciatingly dysfunctional. I felt awkward and just wanted their interactions out of the picture. On the other hand Tohr's process of letting go of Wellsie was heart-breaking.

John and Xhex. Will they get a grip? It was mind-numbingly boring, apart from him scaring off a Dracula wannabe (that was pretty funny).

No lessers. Are you freaking kidding me? The previous 9 books are all about the fight with lessers, and suddenly they have nothing going for them apart from the occasional mention. What happened? Why Butch and V aren't working together to get rid of their essence? Was the plan abandoned?

So, this is how it is between me and BDB. Fun, fun, fun with major flaws. Read at your own risk. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
First off, I want to say, I thought Ms. Ward only put the featured couple in the book in the bedroom. I mean...isn't that the reason we had to miss out some steam in previous books? I mean, I love JM and Xhex but...I wanted more action from Thor and No'One. Just something I was thinking about. Anyway...

I wish Xhex would stop fighter how she feels about JM. They are mated now, she doesn't need to prove anything to anyone about being tough and being in love, it's allowed. That whole sub-plot sort of annoyed me. I did like the sensual scenes between them though, they were some of the hottest in the book.

Thor...Thor...Thor...Thor. Everytime he did something stupid I wanted to punch him in the head. I think his grief was handled correctly though, many people lash out at others when they are feeling pain from a loss. I love the way Wellsy was handled in the book and I am glad Thor finally got to move on.

I loved reading about the Fade ceremony, it was interesting and new to me, I think...I don't remember reading one before. As for the next book....QHUAY!!!!!!! Get ready! ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I really wanted to give this a 2 star instead of 3, but it's JR Ward Brotherhood series. I didn't like most of the story. It's was dark and sad. The writing was still great though. I wasn't sure at one point if there would be a happy ending or even a true romance. The author did a great job on showing how a character can grow/change over time. I do think it's time to end the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. There are so many authors that continue a series past the point they should. All the main Brotherhood characters have mates. It's time to start a new series in her vampire world in a different town. ( )
  msphotogirl | Oct 19, 2015 |
Not my favorite out of the series...so far.

These books are campy, cheesy, adventurous, and original. I hate that I love reading these.

It reminds me of when I go to the grocery and buy something like fiery hot Cheetos, or bacon flavored SPAM. Or even those cheap pot pies in the frozen section, or a bag of pork rinds. I have to shop produce first because then I can...or ONE can hide them under the healthy food. You don't want people to know that you love those things but you can't stop buying them from time to time, or in this case, reading them.

So I've heard.... ( )
  fueledbycoffee | Jun 21, 2015 |
There are so many stories and things happening in this book that I'm going to have to divide it into chunks. So...this is Tohrment's book. And that's about all I am going to say outside of the spoiler tag!

Okay, I am going to be honest here and say that I don't think that Tohr was ready for his own book and romance. He's still seriously grieving for Wellsie and has been since she was killed. I think he needed a few more books to cool his jets and maybe start to see that he's still alive before throwing him into a romance. But...that didn't happen, much like I think that Z needed a lot more time before his own romance. Whatever.

I liked the character of Tohr, mostly, throughout the series, but damn, this book made me hate him. More on that below. But I did like to see that he's finally, finally, trying to act like a father to JM again, because that boy needs it.

Yeah, it was a total threesome, because Wellsie was present for most of it, at least in Tohr's tormented (ha) brain.

Tohr basically starts getting involved with Autumn (more on that below) because he discovers that Wellsie is trapped in the In Between, a place that sounds a lot like the Christian purgatory, because he just can't let go of her.

At this point, and for most of the book, Tohr just feels like an incredible user - and Autumn allows this, because in her mind, she's just around to be used. Tohr even admits to as much toward the end of the book, which almost made me want to throw my Kindle across the room.

I just don't believe the romance between Autumn and Tohr, and I found myself liking Tohr less and less as it progressed.

I don't like that Tohr names Autumn, even though she gives him permission to do so. No.

I don't like that Tohr is aware that Autumn is falling in love with him and does nothing to spare her feelings or shield her, but keeps using her for his own needs.

I just don't like Tohr anymore. Thanks a lot, Ward, because he was one of my favorites until this book. Damn it.

Okay, I get that he loves her. And I get that he would do anything for her. But does that really mean that he starts using another woman, who has a seriously fucked up and traumatized past which TOHR KNOWS ABOUT BECAUSE HE SAW THE AFTERMATH A LONG TIME AGO, so he can spring Wellsie? The whole damned scenario felt skeevy as hell to me.

And then, in the end, we discover that there hasn't even been a Fade ceremony performed yet for Wellsie! Her ashes have been in V's closet this entire time! WHAT THE FUCK! Does anyone think that maybe, maybe, MAYBE that is why she hasn't entered the Fade yet? But Tohr doesn't seem to even consider THIS possibility.

We know from Throe, who is a member of the Band of Bastards, that a Fade ceremony needs to be performed so everything can be settled - that's why he's so desperate to get his sister's remains from Xcor.

Dude. Come on. Do the Fade ceremony already before you start sleeping with someone else to prove that you're over your mate (which you aren't). Stupid.

I can totally see them butting heads and having problems, because the Brotherhood is dripping with testosterone and the "must protect the females because they are weak" mentality, and Xhex is the biggest badass in the books. A little disappointed that JM would cop that attitude with her, but in the end, he learns his lesson. They remain one of my favorite couples (the other being Z/Bella)

Umm, just thought that I would put that out there. :D

I love that she called the Brotherhood on their misogyny. I just wish that some of the other female characters had backed her up in that. Particularly Payne, who used to be a badass but is now just a Chosen slightly more backbone and fighting skills. The rest of the female characters seem content to be coddled and protected and basically treated as china dolls rather than people after they are mated, and that just pisses me off. Even characters who had a backbone pre-mating (Bella, for example), tend to lose all character and become two-dimensional post-mating. Dislike, Ward. Dislike.

It was kind of meh until Xcor gutted Throe. Suddenly I liked Xcor and his angst a lot more, and Throe became his own character.

I like it. So shoot me.

Yummmm delicious angst. I know the next book is theirs, so I am so looking forward to it. Except bad timing on Qhuinn's part, having just knocked up a Chosen.

Hold the phone, why did this even happen? I mean, seriously. I know that they are both in bad places mentally, but I don't see how bringing a child into the mess, especially when they aren't even a couple, is going to solve anything. Children do not solve life problems, guys.
  schatzi | Jun 6, 2015 |
"The quick and the dead are all the same. Everyone's just looking for home." -- Lassiter
"The bastard's taking the bridge!  He's mine!"

Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment has been unrecognizable from the vampire leader he once was. Physically emaciated and heartbroken beyond despair, he has been brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel. Now, fighting once again with ruthless vengeance, he is unprepared to face a new kind of tragedy.

When Tohr begins to see his beloved in his dreams—trapped in a cold, isolated netherworld far from the peace and tranquillity of the Fade—he turns to the angel in hopes of saving the one he has lost. But because Lassiter tells him he must learn to love another to free his former mate, Tohr knows they are all doomed....

Except then a female with a shadowed history begins to get through to him. Against the backdrop of the raging war with the lessers, and with a new clan of vampires vying for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between the buried past and a very hot, passion-filled future…but can his heart let go and set all of them free?

Tohrment, a Black Dagger Brother, is given a second chance at love and life after losing everything.

60 wanted4 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible