Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Lover Reborn: A Novel of the Black Dagger…

Lover Reborn: A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood (edition 2012)

by J.R. Ward

INCREDIBLE!

I've been hoping that some of these next BDB books were going to bring that glory the series had with its five first ones and this one did it for me. My mind was going through the emotional challenges of four different stories in the same book and all of those were sad. I loved that we got to see a LOT more of John and Xhex here and to see how their relationship fared after their mating, lovely to have some insight into Layla's life and how awesome was that last chapter as a hook for the Qhuinn and Blay's book?! LOVED IT! Now for the main story, I thought Tohr really had it all with his Wellsie and that ending J.R gave her was, to say the least, heartbreaking. Incredible to see how No'one went from that person to that great one that turned out to be Autumn. Their relationship wasn't rushed at all and I thought that spliting the book into the four seasons was a great twist for us to see the development of the whole set of characters in this book. Can't wait to see what J.R has in store for us with Lovers at Last, specially with the whole Qhuinn and Layla ordeal now. Excited! ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Always loved Thor and happy he finally has something to live for again. ( )
  Hbeck | Aug 19, 2014 |
Always loved Thor and happy he finally has something to live for again. ( )
  Hbeck | Aug 19, 2014 |
*No spoilers.

So, I liked this book - hence the 3.5 stars, but it was not without faults. I didn't like the 2 books before this one very much. I thought they were oh, so corny and contrived. While I enjoyed this book, it was not until the second half, where the action really picked up and shit started actually happening.

The first half was a whoooooole lotta John and Xhex and a whooole lotta Xcor and his self-loathing. There was also too much Throe. It was enough to make me wanna vom. I get that Ward is running out of Brothers and so she has remedied that situation by bringing in a.. Band of Bastards (fucking lawl), but way, way too much time was devoted to them. I very nearly abandoned this book. I'm glad I didn't, because I really liked the second half, but that first half was seriously brutal. And boring. Brutally boring. So brutally boring, that it took me nearly 2 weeks to get through the first half and only one night to finish the second half. That's brutal.

I hated Lover Mine. In fact, I did abandon that one. Eventually and after much time, I did skim through its ending, but only because when I started the next book, I didn't know what the hell was going on. Why are we now going back to this extremely dysfunctional couple who, in an entire book, could not get it together? Enough! Blah and more blah!

I loved JM once, many moons ago when he was a strong, though beaten-down, fleshy character. He now is nothing but a caricature of what he once was. I get that Xhex is a tough bitch, but she's become more than a sin eater, she's a man eater. She's a selfish bitch and in this book, I wanted to strangle her.

You're newly mated and at the first sign of problems, you move out?! Fuck you! JM fought and sacrificed for you. He puts up with your sympath-ic ways and he's ALWAYS in your corner. Yah, all the bro's have a chauvinistic view of their females, but I don't think it's unreasonable for JM to want to prevent your demise at the hands of Lessors. Surely the pair of you can put your heads together and come to some compromise, no? No. You just move out and demand that it be your way or the highway. Fuck you again! Of course, after much turmoil, JM snips his balls off and gives in to her every selfish whim. My absolute favorite part of the JM and Xhex revisit? That after months of discord and after many failed attempts of compromise from JM, it is only mind-blowing sex that finally makes Xhex think, "How in the world will I ever live without him?" By "him" I assume she means his massive dick, because his massive heart hasn't been able to make anywhere near this type of impression on her sorry ass. There's a dirty joke in there somewhere, but I'm too annoyed to find it. Things like this make me wonder why I even like these books, but in truth, I did actually like this book. During the second half, anyway.

The second half had the feel of the BDB books of yore. It made me nostalgic and I got a little excited. It occurred to me that somewhere in all of this convoluted nonsense, Ward still has it in her.

I miss all the previous characters. I wish some of the MULTITUDE of side stories were about them - the earlier characters, not JM and selfish-ass Xhex whom we had MORE than enough of just a couple of books ago. I wanna know how my old favorites are doing, but they're just part of the stage props now, collecting dust. Sigh.

This may be the part of my review where you ask yourself, "Um, what about Tohr and No'One?" Yah, exactly. That's what I was thinking through most of the book. Their relationship, if it can be called that, was not at all what I expected. It was treated almost as a side story. The more I think about it, this whole book was sort of a collection of side stories, unlike all the previous books that had the main couple as the central story.

Their relationship was awkward. I don't even think I like Tohr anymore. I had this idea in my mind of who he was throughout all the other books, but all of that was eradicated. He's kind of a jerk.

No'one was a wet blanket and that's putting it mildly. I did think that when it finally came together, No'One finally got it and her earlier demeanor made sense, but man, it took FOREVER. I'm talking, I was in the final 5% to 10% of the book for them to kinda, sorta get their shit together and I can't say I was satisfied.

They started off well in my opinion. I saw them building a rapport and I really loved that, because typically in romances, characters just do the horizontal polka and bam - they're in love. I didn't see that happening here at first. They were getting to really know each other and it warmed my cold little heart, but then Tohr got an inconvenient hard-on and it was all downhill from there. Too bad, so sad.

If the emotional side of the relationship had been developed further and the sex had been left for near the end, what an amazing book this could have been. Of course, this is erotica, so sex had to be thrown in there. I think, though, that just this once, there could have been much less focus on sex and the book would have been so much better. Tohr's story has not been a light one in previous books, so I expected better handling of it. Sigh.

Dude. When Tohr pitched a tent and No'one (who is purportedly scared of all things penis, no?) said, "Ease yourself warrior", my eyes nearly rolled outta my face. Are you kidding me with that silly shit? Hundreds of years she's scared of the dick, but one pops up inadvertently and she's all for a peep show? Right..

K. So, now that I've finished writing this review, I've realized that I like this book less than I originally thought. I think because the side stories near the end of the book were so good, I was too generous with my rating. I'm going to let it stand, because I think it's a 3.5 star book and even that is being quite generous. (Seriously GR, when will you bestow us with the gift of half stars?)

At the very least, Ward ended the book heading in the right direction. Even if she hadn't, though, I wouldn't miss Qhuinn and Blay for the world. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Love this book as I do all of the other BDB books. Definately a must read. ( )
  Mykake | Mar 23, 2014 |
"The quick and the dead are all the same. Everyone's just looking for home." -- Lassiter
"The bastard's taking the bridge!  He's mine!"

Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment has been unrecognizable from the vampire leader he once was. Physically emaciated and heartbroken beyond despair, he has been brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel. Now, fighting once again with ruthless vengeance, he is unprepared to face a new kind of tragedy.

When Tohr begins to see his beloved in his dreams—trapped in a cold, isolated netherworld far from the peace and tranquillity of the Fade—he turns to the angel in hopes of saving the one he has lost. But because Lassiter tells him he must learn to love another to free his former mate, Tohr knows they are all doomed....

Except then a female with a shadowed history begins to get through to him. Against the backdrop of the raging war with the lessers, and with a new clan of vampires vying for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between the buried past and a very hot, passion-filled future…but can his heart let go and set all of them free?

Tohrment, a Black Dagger Brother, is given a second chance at love and life after losing everything.

992 wanted4 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible