Death Of The Mantis by Michael Stanley

Death Of The Mantis (edition 2011)

by Michael Stanley, Michael Sears (Author), Stanley Trollip (Author)

11922101,247 (3.85)16
Title:Death Of The Mantis
Authors:Michael Stanley
Other authors:Michael Sears (Author), Stanley Trollip (Author)
Info:New York, NY : Harper Paperbacks, 2011.
Tags:crime fiction, botswana, detective kubu, police procedural

Death of the Mantis by Michael Stanley

This was a relatively quick, light, entertaining read. I enjoy the African setting of these as I do Alexander McCall Smith's tales, perhaps because it is just foreign enough to seem believable to me. This one throws in some politics, with the plot surrounding the treatment of the Bushmen by contemporary, ruling Botswanan culture. Also, I was amused to catch a cocky nod to Smith's stories, just enough to show Stanley's obvious respect for them. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
Liked this a lot, especially after it starting picking up steam in the second half. Really transported me to Botswanna. ( )
  MichaelKelberer | Aug 21, 2013 |
Although it's not the first Lt. Kubu mystery, it's the first I've read, because it was on sale one day at the Kindle store. I'll certainly be reading more. Set in Botswana, a largely Black African-run country which also has white residents and Bushmen, this book explores the tensions between the Bushmen and the majority of somewhat Westernized blacks in the country.
Lt. Kubu (a nickname meaning "hippo" in the Setswana language) is a new father in this story, torn between the demands of his job and his wife's need to have him help more with the overwhelming needs of their daughter. When an old friend from schooldays, a Bushman who works as an advocate for his people, comes to him for help, Kubu sticks his neck out and comes in conflict with other policemen who (with some reason) suspect Bushmen in the death of a park ranger. The story becomes far more complicated as more murders occur, and eventually Kubu finds himself in great danger both physically and emotionally.

I've never read Alexander McCall Smith's tales of the No. One Ladies' Detective Agency, but I've been told that the Kubu series (by two South Africans, one who lives in Johannesburg and one in Minneapolis) is much more true to the reality of Botswana. There is humor in the book, but there is also respect. Though the two countries and the eras are very different, Death of the Mantis reminded me more of James McClure's excellent series set in apartheid-era South Africa. I'd recommend this one very highly. ( )
  auntieknickers | May 17, 2013 |
In Botswana, a local has died in a fall (or perhaps that bash on his head is something else), a Namibian visitor is killed, another Namibian has his rear window shot out. Detective Kubu is on the case, and so is an American journalist. Kubu's friend, a bushman he knows from school days, when both of them were teased and bullied, is worried that blame will fall on his people whose way of life, delicately sustained in the harsh Kalahari, is threatened. Very interesting, particularly for the insights into an indigenous culture. Fans of the series will also welcome a return of series characters, who are a fun and genial group. This series has a lot of appeal and can be enjoyed by fans of traditional and cozy mysteries as well as by those who tend toward the grittier, harder-boiled side.
  bfister | Dec 8, 2012 |
am loving this detective. he reminds me of Hercule Poirot. ( )
  magentaflake | Sep 21, 2012 |
In memory of Salome Comley (1954-2010)
She left too soon.
The desert glowed in the dawn light.

"In the southern Kalahari area of Botswana-an arid landscape of legends that speak of lost cities, hidden wealth, and ancient gods-a fractious ranger named Monzo is found dying from a severe head wound in a dry ravine. Three Bushmen surround the doomed man, but are they his killers or there to help? Detective David Kubu Bengu is on the case, an investigation that his old school friend Khumanego claims is motivated by racist antagonism on the part of the local police. But when a second bizarre murder, and then a third, seem to point also to the nomadic tribe, the intrepid Kubu must journey into the depths of the Kalahari to uncover the truth. What he discovers there will test all his powers of detection ... and his ability to remain alive"-- Cover verso.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Death of the Mantis by Michael Stanley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible