Distance Cycling by John Hughes

Distance Cycling (original 2011; edition 2011)

by John Hughes, Dan Kehlenbach

Other authors:Dan Kehlenbach
Info:Human Kinetics (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:***
Tags:Non-fiction, Sports, Self-Improvement, Cycling, Bicycling, Exercise, Fitness

Distance Cycling by John Hughes (2011)

I've been riding bikes for decades but never been much of an athlete in any sport. I rode a century back in college but mostly have been riding ten and twenty miles. Now that I am in a sort of early retirement situation, I am trying to use my time to get healthier and explore the countryside, so I am starting to ride forty and fifty miles at a stretch. I started hearing some about these crazy randonneuring folks. I don't know if I will push myself that hard, but I like to read about it to understand more about training.

This is a very practical cookbook type resource. It gives quite a few day-by-day training programs, for century rides up to brevet series (200 300 400 600 km). The information is rather pedestrian but at least it is not wild. It is more broad than deep. It covers the elements of how to ride long distances: training, nutrition, bicycle mechanics, planning, mental preparation and relaxation, etc. There are no special tricks here or esoteric initiations. For example, they refer to the government's food pyramids for nutrition.

It's a very good basic outline. If you follow their program, you will most likely succeed. Probably you will be able to find ways to improve their program in any of its dimensions. But this book gives a very good baseline, a starting point. Really, every possible improvement one might consider will come with controversy. This book doesn't really push off in any very controversial directions. Rather safe and dull. A very good starting point and checklist, though. ( )
  kukulaj | Jun 22, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was informative but seems like it is more geared toward someone who is new to cycling or starting up again after a long break. A lot of the information appeared multiple times throughout the book which made it a little repetitive but I suppose also helps to reinforce their point. Some of the nutrition and strengthening recommendations were useful and I learned about new types of long-distance riding that I had not previously been exposed to. ( )
  barefeet4 | Mar 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love how most of my winnings from Early Reviewers have been spot on to my hobbies and interests! This book is a perfect addition to a cyclist bookshelf. It approaches the demands of 100+ mile rides with tons of great information on nutrition, strength, stretching, mental readiness, etc. I look forward to using this book in the upcoming spring when I take my bike back out to the roads.
  KropotkinsLeftFoot | Oct 15, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
John Hughes and Dan Kehlenbach provide a comprehensive resource for anyone interested in distance cycling from novice to moderately experienced athlete. Many facets of training and maintenance are explored, from bicycle types and events to core exercises and diet. The books can be read from cover-to-cover or browsed for specific topics. Detailed training programs will be of interest to many riders, with plans for specific events. For example, a 12-week program for a 150-mile two-day weekend tour or 12-week brevet series program provide specific weekly goals. Basics such as stretches and core exercises are provided with photos. Hughes and Kehlenbach provide both breadth and depth for a variety of readers in concise terms. ( )
  VaterOlsen | Aug 24, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There is a lack of books that tackle the specifc area of cycling related to ling distance so for that reason alone this is a good book. However, this book as other reviewers state is more for the novice or someone moving from basic cycling to more of a distance effort. Anyone who is a long distance cyclist has no doubt spent years training and tweaking their diet and exercise program. This book covers a broad range of subjects including nutrition, exercise, bikes and equipment, safety and of course training. The book has something to offer cyclist of all levels but may be more of a reference instead of a cover to cover read. I have read other books that are part of the Human Kinetics series and they are very informative and well worth adding to your library. ( )
  realbigcat | Aug 5, 2011 |

Century, brevet, cross-state, ultradistance—there is only one book that covers them all. Distance Cycling is a comprehensive guide for planning, training, and competing in long-distance events.

Long-time distance cycling great John Hughes, an endurance coach and sport science expert, and coach Dan Kehlenbach team up to cover the sport from every angle. Combining sport science, including the latest research on training and conditioning, with hands-on advice for planning and performance, Distance Cycling will ensure you get the most from every ride.

With Distance Cycling, you will learn how to

•select the distance events best suited to you;

•prepare yourself for the physical and psychological demands of the sport;

•train for century rides and brevets using the 8- and 15-week conditioning programs; and

•conquer grueling ultradistance rides.

You’ll also learn how to fuel properly before, during, and after events; how to select the best equipment for your ride; how to perform basic roadside maintenance on your bike; and how to avoid the most common injuries in distance cycling.

Before you ride, read this book. As the ultimate guide for the ultimate sport, Distance Cycling will help you ride longer, stronger, and more comfortably in every event.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:12:18 -0400)

Everyone from experienced distance cyclists to those preparing for their first century ride will benefit from the training advice and strategies featured in Distance Cycling . Lead author John Hughes, one of ultracycling's most respected names, helps inspire riders of all ability levels through practical advice for centuries, brevets, and more.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Distance Cycling by John Huges was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,888,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible