Route 66: A Crash Course in Navigating Life…

Route 66: A Crash Course in Navigating Life with the Bible (edition 2011)

by Krish Kandiah

Member:AspiringAshley
Title:Route 66: A Crash Course in Navigating Life with the Bible
Authors:Krish Kandiah
Info:Monarch Books (2011), Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****

Route 66: A Crash Course in Navigating Life with the Bible by Krish Kandiah

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am SUPER late with this review (so sorry, Mr.Kandiah and publisher)!! But I am so glad I finally found it in my mess and read this book! For some reason, I expected it to be a teen Bible study, but that wasn't the case at all (although a teen could certainly read and understand the book). Route 66 is a deep, yet accessible, overview of the entire Bible that enables the reader to learn how to truly study the Bible. It is designed to be an 8-week study, complete with journaling prompts and group discussion guides. It even includes a plan to read the entire Bible during the 8-week course.

Route 66 is very well written and researched, with a great balance of personal narrative and theology to guide the reader into a deeper understanding of the Bible. My favorite section was Week Two, on the Books of the Law. So many times we rush through these books, thinking they largely don't apply to us today, but the author explains why that's not true and how to get the most from the Books of Law.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to study the Bible, and hope to find a group to work though the study with.

I received this book from Monarch Books through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer Program in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  AspiringAshley | Jan 16, 2013 |
NCLA Review: Although people tend to think of the Bible as a single book, it’s actually a collection of 66 books of different types (i.e. literary genres, such as narrative, laws, poetry, etc.). We do not read the phone book the same way we read a novel, and Krish Kandiah suggests we should not approach, say, the Psalms as we do the Gospels. He explains what kinds of messages and themes to look for in the different genres. He demonstrates this method with a 40-day study of passages from eight genres. Kandiah is British, which adds to the flavor. His background material is enjoyably instructive and his writing style personal. The study questions require thoughtful responses, and really enable the reader to connect with the text. I was amazed when it made even a passage from Leviticus interesting and meaningful. Do add this treasure trove to your library! Rating: 4 —DKW ( )
  ncla | Mar 13, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a basic introduction to the literary styles in the Bible. it is not going to win any awards for being the most scholarly or in-depth survey of the Bible, but it provides some basic concepts. It is designed as a daily Bible study that can be used in a small group setting with questions at the end of each chapter. ( )
  Lenow | Dec 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The daily reading segments are short so easily read. Although the driving/road metaphor is stretched a bit too far at times (the same information could be discussed and make more sense without involving the metaphor), the questions at the end of each day were more thought-provoking than in most short studies, and helped me consider the Biblical text more deeply than I would have by just reading it. A very good resource for daily devotions in limited time (15-30 min). ( )
  dolphari | Sep 21, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is essentially an 8 week crash course introduction to the Bible, with topics on each major genre. I read Fee and Stewart's "How to Read the Bible for all It's Worth" a couple years ago for a class and this book seemed a bit similar. Both approach the Bible from the genre perspective, but Fee and Stewart are writing for a Christian scholar audience. Route 66 is less "churchy" and would probably be more accessible to the general public.

Kandiah kept the book light and entertaining while also keeping the lessons and detail present. The style is very readable and from the perspective of a teacher to a student, which makes it easy to learn from and take notes on. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it for small group study or individual study. ( )
  kkunker | Sep 2, 2011 |

Welcome to Route 66, a journey to discover how the 66 books of the Bible help us to know God--and know how to live for Him. This book is packed with practical help to live your whole life guided by the whole of the Bible.

For many of us, there is a disconnect between the Bible we treasure and the book we struggle to read. We know the Bible is a lamp to our feet, honey on our lips, and the sword of the Spirit, equipping us for every good work. But sometimes the Bible feels more like a confusing collection of ancient texts filled with obscure laws! Using the analogy of a trip, Route 66 unfolds how different passages of the Bible can help us travel through different passages of our life.

Route 66 works with the idea that there are eight identifiable genres within the Bible: narrative, law, psalm, prophecy, wisdom, gospel, epistle, and apocalyptic. Krish Kandiah introduces each in turn, explaining how to read them and how to apply their teaching to your life. He then provides five studies for each.

There are three ways you can use this book: on your own, with 40 daily Bible studies and a "travel journal" to record what God is teaching you; in a small group, with weekly study questions to supplement your personal reading; and with your church, using the eight sections of the book as a great sermon series.

Free supplemental materials, including a Church Leader's Guide and PowerPoint presentation have been produced by Spring Harvest.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:14 -0400)

Krish Kandiah is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Route 66: A Crash Course in Navigating Life with the Bible by Krish Kandiah was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible