Sister Beneath the Sheet by Gillian Linscott

Sister Beneath the Sheet (1991)

by Gillian Linscott

Series: Nell Bray Mysteries (1)

A really good murder mystery. A dead prostitute leaves a suffragette society most of her fortune. The society sends a representative to find out why--and she, in turn, becomes intrigued by the dead woman and seeks to discover the truth about her death. I was really impressed by the historical accuracy--most writers are content to get the clothes and vehicles right, but Linscott concerns herself with the attitudes and unwritten politics of the time as well. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Nell Bray is a committed suffragette who is sent to Biarritz to investigate a rumour that the suffragettes have been left the fortune of a high-class prostitute. She has to try to be as discrete as possible but as she starts asking questions she finds herself with more questions rather than answers and she feels a need to find the answers.

It's an interesting look at Edwardian France and the English who visited. The class divides are very much evident and you can see the issues some people would have with some of what was going on. Occasionally some of the characters did blur for me without being distinct and I had to re-read sections to make sure I was following the right character.

Irritatingly a reader took it upon themselves to edit the copy I read, in parts, often not to any great merit. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 1, 2010 |

Gillian Linscottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cordes, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pagés, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The story began for me in the middle of April, only nine days after I was let out of Holloway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,983,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible