The Dead Pull Hitter by Alison Gordon

The Dead Pull Hitter (1988)

by Alison Gordon

BOTTOM-LINE:
Nice start to the series
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Dead Pull Hitter feels like it picks up where Gordon's non-fiction left off: the Toronto Titans have finished in fourth place the previous year and are starting to pull it together for a pennant race; the protagonist Kate Henry is a woman sportswriter who's covered them for five years; she works for the Toronto Planet which is sandwiched in the news market between the stodgy World and the bimbette-littered pages of the Mirror. At times it was hard to remind myself that this was the fiction category!
WHAT I LIKED:
The fun doesn't really take off until after the first body arrives. Up until then, it is basically a baseball story. After that, the murder mystery takes hold. The clues are there for the finding: some obvious, others more subtle. Nicely written, and combines the baseball / mystery storylines with an appropriate emphasis on the mystery. And the cop-as-a-romantic-partner-and-mystery-antagonist-theme is alive and well in the book.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
The start on the baseball story gives you a fairly large cast of characters that may be easy for a baseball fan to keep straight (i.e. player X is a catcher), but the names all seemed to run together for me. The baseball players also seem to have an enormously large and direct role in Kate's life, which doesn't seem to fit with her being a member of the objective sports press that covers them regularly.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I was not personal friends with the author, but I did interact with her online. ( )
  polywogg | Mar 24, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0771034202, Mass Market Paperback)

I’m Katherine Henry. My friends call me Kate. I am a baseball writer by trade. I’m forty, older than most of the Titans, including the manager. I’m tallish, prettyish, and a lot more interesting than most of the people I write about.

I’m good at my job, to the active disappointment of some of my male colleagues, who have been waiting for me to fall on my face since the day I walked into my first spring training.

I am also the only woman on the team plane who doesn’t serve drinks.

Kate has her problems with the arrogance, ignorance, easy money and bigotry of the sports world. She also has impossible deadlines and puts in weeks of overtime. But it’s all in a baseball-season’s work.

Until the day the designated hitter doesn’t show for the game: someone seems to have used his skull for batting practice.

The homicide squad is called in, and Kate’s search for a scoop puts her at odds, and in pleasantly close contact, with the law. As real life impinges on the world of baseball, Kate learns how naïve – and vulnerable – she really is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:17 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible