Love For Lydia by H. E. Bates

Love For Lydia (original 1952; edition 2008)

by H. E. Bates (Author)

Member:francesanngray
Title:Love For Lydia
Authors:H. E. Bates (Author)
Info:Methuen (2008), 362 pages
Tags:fiction

Love for Lydia by H. E. Bates (1952)

Another lovely story set in the 50's.
Lydia moves into Evensford village and also into young men's hearts.
H.E. Bates can do no wrong when writing about the times when life was much slower and innocent.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Bloomsbury via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Apr 4, 2016 |
My favorite of his books, a long, frequently sad love story told from the point-of-view of a narrator who is never named. Saw it as a Masterpiece Theater series long ago and came across a paperback of it at a Library sale. Replaced that copy with a beat up hardcover, and this lovely copy replaces that one. Hand-tipped color plate on the cover. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Feb 16, 2016 |
I first read this book by flashlight at the tender age of 12 after pilfering from my Aunt's bookshelf . Lucky for me it is as wonderful as I remember but for a million different reasons than I remembered it being. A very English story of coming of age, society clashes and love lost and found. No wonder it was made into a equally lovely masterpiece theater production.... Sigh....... ( )
  KatharineDB | Jun 12, 2012 |
An affectionate portrait of small town English life between the wars, growing up and falling in love. Lydia, the princess of the town, grows from childhood to womanhood through love and tragedy, while the narrator takes a quieter path. Social life and the gradations of social class are depicted lightly but vividly. For me the book stayed at the surface, the tragedies failed to move me as much as they should and the romance again seemed at one step removed. Some of this is probably due to the intentionally rather callow narrator, but I think not all of it...
2 vote otterley | Jul 2, 2010 |
After the death of their elder brother the two Aspen sisters came back to Evensford at the end of February, driving in the enormous brown coachwork Daimler with the gilt monograms on the doors, through a sudden fall of snow.

Lydia Aspen - a seemingly shy girl from a wealthy but isolated background - is encouraged by her aunts to discover the delights of growing up. Entrusting her education to Mr Richardson, it soon becomes clear that Lydia enjoys captivating the young men that become her companions. Originally published: London: Michael Joseph, 1952.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,498,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible