Jim Henson: The Guy Who Played with Puppets…

Jim Henson: The Guy Who Played with Puppets

by Kathleen Krull

I absolutely loved how this book is readable to both children and adults alike. The tone is playful throughout but somber and bittersweet when mentioning Henson's death in 1990. I also LOVED the additional sources page that consisted of additional books and websites to consult. And while this book is not an exhaustive tome of Henson's life and legacy, it is a great starting pointing for anyone interested in learning about all things associated with Henson. ( )
  preston.whit | Nov 30, 2014 |
  preston.whit | Nov 30, 2014 |
This book completely surprised me. From the cover, I was expecting a more industrial, chronological approach and background into Jim Henson. What I discovered, was a brilliantly illustrated and concisely written tale of hopes and dreams. The question "what do you want to be when you grow up," has delighted many a school-aged reader and this book shows the power of persistence and dreams. Sesame Street has proven to be a quality source of education and reference for today's youth and this book is a great aid and contrast to television sesame street enjoyment.
  cpwpsu | Mar 16, 2014 |
This is an exceptional biography of an exceptional guy. I really enjoyed it as did my wife when I read it to her. It's thorough and beautiful, really a wonderful tribute to a truly visionary artist. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Affectionate and appealing introduction to Henson's life for younger readers. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |

Sesame Street and The Muppet Show introduced Jim Henson's Muppets to the world, making Kermit the Frog, Oscar the Grouch, and Big Bird household names. But even as a child in rural Mississippi, listening to the radio and putting on comedy shows for his family, Jim recognized the power of laughter to bring people together. On Sesame Street, Jim's Muppets transformed children's television by making learning fun for kids everywhere. A visionary, Jim always believed that puppets could reach a wider audience. In 1976, he proved it, drawing millions of family viewers to The Muppet Show. With his feature film The Dark Crystal and his Star Wars characters—including Yoda—Jim continued to push the boundaries of what was possible in puppetry until his death in 1990 at the age of 53.

Kathleen Krull, recipient of the Children's Book Guild 2011 Non-fiction Award and many other accolades, once again does what she does so well—illuminating the life of an important figure in history, art, and culture with her informative but approachable writing style.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:38 -0400)

Chronicles the life of Jim Henson, describing how he pushed the boundaries of entertainment and brought the art of puppets to a new level with the creation of his Muppets.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,379,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible