Jim Henson: The Guy Who Played with Puppets…

Jim Henson: The Guy Who Played with Puppets

by Kathleen Krull

Summary:
This biography is about Jim Henson's life and how the Muppets came to be. Jim wanted to play with puppets as a job from an early age. He created the Muppets by combining the words "puppet" and "marionettes". Jim helped create the characters for Seasame Street and many other projects that we love and know.

Personal Reflection:
I remember watching Seasame Street as a kid. I remember watching the Muppets as a kid. I still watch them when I can. That was entertainment to me. And I've made the decision to imprint my son with the Muppets as well.

Classroom Extensions:
Let the students try their hand at making their own Muppets and then let different sets of students put on shows.

Ask the students to name their Muppets and talk about their personalities.
  robinkluth1980 | Apr 21, 2016 |
As someone who grew up on Sesame Street and still loves the Muppets, I enjoyed this short book about all that inspired Jim Henson and all that he accomplished. The book goes into how his childhood of using his imagination inspired him to think outside the box. It also discusses Jim majoring in home economics as one of six men. The theme of this book is while some people might think what you are doing is useless, you should always trust yourself. One person can make difference and change the world. Jim Henson will live through his many great works. This book could be used in an art class or history class. Students could be challenged to come up with a their own muppet and create a short skit that teaches students about a lesson like Sesame Street. Students could pick a topic on history or any subject. I would have preferred if the book had some pictures from real life. It would have been interesting to see Jim Henson working the muppets instead of illustrations. ( )
  L.Fleming | Jan 17, 2016 |
Jim Henson: The Guy Who Played with Puppets is about Jim Henson who created the muppets. The story begins when he is young and explains how he became interested in puppets. I like the book because even though I know who Jim Henson is, the book pointed out some projects he worked on I did not know he was a part of. Also, I enjoyed some insight into his life besides the fact he created the muppets. I like this book for children because Henson was pressured by his father to pursue a career he did not like, but he continued to chase what he loved and created his own success. ( )
  mferaci | Mar 16, 2015 |
I absolutely loved how this book is readable to both children and adults alike. The tone is playful throughout but somber and bittersweet when mentioning Henson's death in 1990. I also LOVED the additional sources page that consisted of additional books and websites to consult. And while this book is not an exhaustive tome of Henson's life and legacy, it is a great starting pointing for anyone interested in learning about all things associated with Henson. ( )
  preston.whit | Nov 30, 2014 |
  preston.whit | Nov 30, 2014 |

Sesame Street and The Muppet Show introduced Jim Henson's Muppets to the world, making Kermit the Frog, Oscar the Grouch, and Big Bird household names. But even as a child in rural Mississippi, listening to the radio and putting on comedy shows for his family, Jim recognized the power of laughter to bring people together. On Sesame Street, Jim's Muppets transformed children's television by making learning fun for kids everywhere. A visionary, Jim always believed that puppets could reach a wider audience. In 1976, he proved it, drawing millions of family viewers to The Muppet Show. With his feature film The Dark Crystal and his Star Wars characters—including Yoda—Jim continued to push the boundaries of what was possible in puppetry until his death in 1990 at the age of 53.

Kathleen Krull, recipient of the Children's Book Guild 2011 Non-fiction Award and many other accolades, once again does what she does so well—illuminating the life of an important figure in history, art, and culture with her informative but approachable writing style.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Chronicles the life of Jim Henson, describing how he pushed the boundaries of entertainment and brought the art of puppets to a new level with the creation of his Muppets.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible