The Harvest of Grace: Book 3 in the…

The Harvest of Grace: Book 3 in the Ada's House Amish Romance Series…

by Cindy Woodsmall

The Harvest of Grace
Cindy Woodsmall
This is a story about the Amish. This last installment is about Sylvia and Aaron. They are two people who have a history that has challenged their past and future. They are likeable characters, well developed and kept me interested throughout the book. I would gladly recommend this story to friends. I believe this was a faithful installment to the series and provided readers a satisfying book. I have always enjoyed Ms. Woodsmall's books and always eager to read her next book. I am thankful to blogging for books for the free copy that provided me the opportunity to review The Harvest of Grace. ( )
  Robin661 | Jul 2, 2012 |
I think when I picked up this book, I didn't realize it was the third in a series, or I would have tried to get the first two to read first. It didn't really matter as she does a recap of the first two in the front of the book and has character descriptions in the back. I enjoyed the interweaving of the characters and the author's style of writing. She shows that even the Amish have people that fail and some who are closer to God. ( )
  eliorajoy | May 13, 2012 |
***Though the publisher provides the free book, I offer the opinion.***

My Look:

The betrayal of a sister who marries the man Sylvia Fisher loved gets even more complicated. Years later, Sylvia indulges her sister's husband in an adulterer's kiss, and she must give up her family. She takes a job on a farm, the Blank's farm.

Cara Moore is discovered living with her daughter in Ephraim's barn. Alone with her daughter, Cara's background is heartbreaking; her mother died and her father left her alone at a bus station. She's an abandoned child whom Social Services takes into foster care. After knowing her plight, Ephraim Mast takes care of them and endures a shunning for refusing to make her seek help elsewhere. Now, she's in love with Ephraim and dedicated to become an accepted member of the Amish community. However, her father comes back.

Meanwhile, Aaron Blank's parents will not answer his letters from rehab, but that's not going to stop him from going home. He's going to take care of his parents, and Aaron has a plan. Putting money down on business, he goes home intending to do the right thing for them. Can he make amends? Aaron wants to take care of his parents, but it was only months earlier that he had left them alone on a dairy farm.

Lena Kauffman is in love with Grey Graber, but she's prepared to wait for his official mourning period to end. Grey is a widower and wants to do right by his first wife's family. How would they feel having their daughter replaced too soon? Will time do more than keep them these two apart?

THE HARVEST OF GRACE delves into the lives of these and others characters. However, the most central theme is the family struggles and rejection is a large part of these stories.

Cindy Woodsmall demonstrates that hurt begets hurt and forgiveness needs to follow. She does not concentrate on the Amish themes; she zeros into the characters, their flaws, and the many human emotions that we all share.

My Take:

I recommend THE HARVEST OF GRACE!

Cindy Woodsmall writes from a background with a strong Amish connection, but she writes about non-traditional Amish issues in this book and will keep you turning pages.

She provides more than just a love story and does more than teach you about the Amish traditions, Cindy Woodsmall writes about issues that face all of us and shows us all forgiveness is possible.

This is a stand-alone novel, but is part of a series. You will want to catch up with the other titles in the Ada's House series. They are THE HOPE OF REFUGE: ADA'S HOUSE BOOK 1 (August 2009), THE BRIDGE OF PEACE: ADA'S HOUSE BOOK 2 (August 2010), and THE CHRISTMAS SINGING (October 2011).

Through WaterBrook Multnomah's Blogging for Books Program, I received this book for free in exchange my honest review. ( )
  Eleanor_Anders | Jan 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This adventure is about several young Amish people who eventually become entwined in each others lives.
There is Sylvia, who is the eldest daughter of a dairy farmer, whose love for dairy farming outweighs the desire to be married. When her beau asks her, she wants to postpone their big day wanting more time to be able to discover who she is. Taking her answer as a "no", her beau secretly plans to marry Sylvia's sister. Heart broken and unable to leave the farm she tries to endure her feelings of rejection and betrayal. When one day she is caught off guard with her now brother in law, he kisses her and she returns the kiss. Feeling shame and guilt Sylvia leaves and begins working for a couple on the Blank's dairy farm where she meets their son, Aaron which leads her down a whole new road to adventure.

There is Cara, who has a young daughter named Lori whose father died when she was little. Cara left New York because of the fear of someone stalking her. and traveled to Dry Lake because of some memories from her childhood. After seeking refuge in Ephriam's barn she is taken in and falls in love with him. When Cara finally gets comfortable in her surroundings she is given a challenge she feels is far beyond her power alone to conquer.

Then there is Lena. She is recovering from an accident and has a bluish purple birth mark on her face. She falls in love with Grey who was married to the Blank's daughter. Grey is now a widower and is made to wait the required time of mourning until he can court Lena. Grey also has a secret that he carries with him that he feels could destroy their relationship if Lena only knew.

Will these young couples be able to work through the challenges that God has allowed in their lives or will they give up and play it safe? Find out how each of these couples face their challenges both separately and together. ( )
  mookiekat | Jan 22, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had enjoyed Cindy Woodsmall's "Sound of Sleighbells" so was excited when I won this book from ER. Sadly, I had not realized it was the third book in the series - and for me, this one needed the first two books read before this one. I had a hard time "getting into" the story, and I'm blaming it on coming into the series with the final book.

I found the characters not as believable as I wanted. They didn't "feel" authentically Old Order Amish. I did enjoy the story line and think the whole series when read from beginning to end would make a difference. It would have made keeping the characters straight a little easier and a little less confusing.

If you want to read this book, do yourself a favor and pick up the first two in the "Ada's House" series. ( )
  tweezle | Oct 23, 2011 |

A young Old Order Amish woman's determination to flee from a bad decision and save a farm pits her against the Amish man determined to see that she falls. Can the two find common ground? Or will their unflinching efforts toward opposite goals blur the bigger picture--a path to forgiveness, glimpses of grace, and the promise of love?… (more)

89 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Harvest of Grace by Cindy Woodsmall was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible