Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Pan: From Lieutenant Thomas Glahn's Papers…

Pan: From Lieutenant Thomas Glahn's Papers (1894)

by Knut Hamsun

English (20)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (25)
A man who feels at home in the woods is undone by the love of a local woman. Love of nature shines through in the translation. ( )
  questbird | Feb 5, 2019 |
Pan is an 1894 novel set in Nordland (the north of Norway). Its first-person protagonist Thomas Glahn seems to be a Romantic embracing a rustic natural life as a hunter, but he has a vague military background as a lieutenant, and his place in the forest seems most determined by his alienation from cultured society. His rhapsodies over details of the forest are perhaps a little insincere, a cover-story for the amorous pain that he experiences with the reminiscences offered in this memoir-styled tale.

Erotic jealousy is a keynote of the story with its multiple love-triangles, and there is no assurance that Glahn is being honest with himself or with the reader. The epilogue "Glahn's Death" is written about Glahn in the third person, but anonymously, and its preoccupations are suspiciously similar to those in the body text, although the colonial Indian setting of the epilogue furnishes an altogether more biting and "modern" tone.

The book is short, even with the translator's introduction, which is divided between biographical information on author Knut Hamsun and interpretive concerns regarding Pan which would probably be better appreciated after reading the novel. This 1998 Penguin edition, translated by Sverre Lyngstad, also includes some explanatory notes and editorial annotations tracing the reconciliation of the Norwegian first edition and later issuance in Hamsun's Collected Works.
3 vote paradoxosalpha | Aug 15, 2018 |
L'armonia totale con i boschi dell'estremo NORD, l'amore e il piacere che si riesce a ricavare dalla Natura quando è madre (oserei dire amante)TUTTO QUESTO riesce a trasmettere Hamsun. E mette i brividi. Distende. Commuove. ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |
"I read this book some years ago, during the winter. Since the story is placed in Northern wilderness, most probably in Europe, I feel that I wouldn't have connected so strongly with the book had I read it in any other time of the year.

I liked this book better than ""Hunger"", in fact, maybe because there's more environment description and also because Glahn is way less of a depressing character. Yes, he is kind of exaggeratedly worried about what other people would consider normal affairs, much of it probably because he has little or no social skills (one more reason why I can relate), but at least he is still trying to get over his past bad life experiences with a bold, honest attitude.

I find that Glahn's lack of social skills is what turned the book so enjoyable to read for me, since that due to this problem he is always theorizing about possible outcomes of certain social interactions, which leads to a strong analysis of human nature and hypocritical social rites. Also, the fact that he lives in a hut in the woods made the story even more attractive for me, since visiting Norway and those cozy huts has always been one of my dreams.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Do not forget, some give little, and it is much for them, others give all, and it costs them no effort; who then has given most?
There was a rock in front of my hut, a tall, gray rock. By its looks it seemed to be well-disposed toward me...

The Last Passage
We stood there looking at each other. And suddenly Glahn shrugged his shoulders and called out ""Coward"" to me. And why should he call me a coward? I threw my rifle to my shoulder—aimed full in his face—fired.
As a man soweth...
Now, there is no need, I insist, for the Glahns to make further inquiry about this man. It annoys me to be constantly seeing their advertisements offering such and such reward for information about a dead man. Thomas Glahn was killed by accident—shot by accident when out on a hunting trip in India. The court entered his name, with the particulars of his end, in a register with pierced and threaded leaves. And in that register it says that he is dead—dead, I tell you—and what is more, that he was killed by accident.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Hamsun is an interesting writer: I adore Hunger, and I thought Growth of the Soil was a solid work well deserving of the accolades it received, but Victoria, on the other hand, was completely forgettable. One thing these books prove is that Hamsun has range as an author, and isn't one of those writers that can only capture a single type of character.

This proven ability is what makes Pan such a confusing work to me, since the two narrative voices in the book are supposed to be distinct but read almost identically. They're so close that it makes you wonder if (warning: spoiler) Glahn wasn't faking his own death with the letter that comprises the last 20 pages of Pan. It's in general hard to get a handle on this short work, as the text quickly makes clear that Glahn isn't mentally stable, and therefore is likely far from a reliable narrator. He sees things, including the god Pan in the forest, he finds himself stranded in fog and ends up in the exact opposite place he intended, sometimes he feels things that aren't there, he flies into a rage for little reason, and he seems to oscillate between some level of social competence (even claiming great insight into the human mind) and total inability to understand what's going on in social situations. The Doctor is worried about him, and for good reason. This makes it continually unclear what amount of Glahn's experiences are rooted in reality and what are figments of his mind or reimagined instances of the real thing, all we know for certain comes from the closing letter of the book, which makes clear that at least a good chunk of what Glahn has told us is a lie.

This isn't the best use of an unreliable narrator I've ever seen (that's Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun), but it is used to illustrate some interesting things. For instance, Pan makes clear that love doesn't cure all, as the love (infatuation) of Glahn seems to accelerate the loss of his mental stability. The blindness caused by his infatuation turns him into a veritable monster at some points, driving him to become a murderer, not only of an innocent person but his loyal dog as well. Pan is a short book, but in a small number of pages Hamsun manages to have Glahn circle the drain a whole bunch of times.

Unfortunately I'd say Pan is one of the lesser Hamsun books I've read, better than Victoria but less than Growth of the Soil and Hunger. ( )
1 vote BayardUS | Dec 10, 2014 |

Hamsun, Knutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lehtonen, JoelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marken, Amy vanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McFarlane, James Waltersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuijlenburg, HermineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seeberg, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Törnqvist-Verschuur… MarguériteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These last few days I have thought and thought of the Nordland summer's endless day.

First published in 1894, Knut Hamsun's Pan is former lieutenant Thomas Glahn's retrospective narrative of his life and adventures in the Norwegian woods. A man of fascinating complexity, Glahn is in some respects a modern successor to a long line of "superfluous" men in western literature, an heir to Goethe's Werther and the protagonists of Turgenev and Dostoyevsky.

But this portrait of a man rejecting the claims of bourgeois society for a Rousseauian embrace of Nature and Eros, explores the veiled mysteries of the unconscious by means of thoroughly modern techniques. Pan's quasi-musical modulations of pace and rhythm, its haunting use of leitmotifs which contract and distend time, its startling versions of myth and legend, and its ecstatic evocations of nature in its various phases and moods, all attest to the novel's Modernist innovations.

Pan provides a lyrical, yet disturbing analysis of love and the recesses of the psyche. This superb new translation restores the power and virtuosity of Hamsun's original and includes an informative introduction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:59 -0400)

A lone hunter accompanied only by his faithful dog, Aesop, Thomas Glahn roams Norway's northernmost wilds. Living out of a rude hut at the edge of a vast forest, Glahn pursues his solitary existence, hunting and fishing, until the strange girl Edvarda comes into his life. In his 1894 breakthrough novel, Pan, Knut Hamsun provides a lyrical, yet disturbing analysis of love and the dark recesses of the human psyche. Sverre Lyngstad's superb new translation restores the power and virtuosity of Hamsun's original and includes an illuminating introduction and explanatory notes.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible