dismiss

Broken Harbor (2012)

by Tana French

Series: Dublin Murder Squad (4)

All but one member of the Spain family lies dead, and it's up to Mick "Scorcher" Kennedy to find out why. Mick must piece together why their house is full of cameras pointed at holes in the walls and how a nighttime intruder bypassed all the locks. Meanwhile, the town of Broken Harbor holds something else for Mick--disturbing memories of a childhood summer gone terribly wrong.… (more)
    Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Painful childhood memories haunt the detectives of these dark psychological thrillers. Both authors write their respective cities (Boston and Dublin) with realism that augments the flawed, believable characters' struggles. Their secrets and suspicions offer compelling insight into trust in relationships.… (more)

English (177)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (183)
A bit darker story than I prefer but well written and compelling. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 22, 2020 |
Updated: December 2019
Nothing more to add except this was a great read! I just re-read since I finished up French's "The Witch Elm" and that book had me missing the Dublin Murder Squad. This book really does knock you in the teeth with a great ending I did not see coming.

What a great installment in the Dublin Murder Squad. I didn't like Scorcher in the last book, but loved him here. It makes you sad that he was thinking of a long time partner and wanting that connection with someone and realizing he wasn't going to get it. I honestly don't have any criticism of this book. I think a lot of people may not like Scorcher, but honestly this book helps you understand him a lot. I think he may be my second favorite character after Rob.

"Broken Harbor" is about the faces you present to the outside world and what's going on beneath. Scorcher has a connection to Broken Harbor, his family used to spend summer holidays there. Something tragic happened to Scorcher when he was a teenager that still ripples in his life today. Being called out to a murder investigation there leads a potential that it will negatively affect his younger sister Dina. Trying to juggle a new detective (Curran) and his family obligations, you can see why Scorcher keeps such a tight control of himself.

A family of four is found assaulted with one member of the family barely alive. Scorcher and his partner Curran go in deep on the picture perfect family to see what was going on below the surface.

There's reference to the last case with Mackey and now I feel like he was even more of a jerk when you see how that case impacted Scorcher.

His relationship with his sister Dina was hard to read about. He and his sister Geri are eventually going to have to make some hard decisions there. The book ends with Scorcher just accepting what this case has done to him and what he's going to have to do next.

What gets me is that Scorcher is lonely. He's protective of both of his sisters and takes a certain pride that Geri's life looks perfect. With the latest murder case he has a chance to show someone the ropes, but also starts to see why so many people in partnerships in the murder squad do very well. The best parts for me were reading how in synch he and Curran we're becoming and how both of them were learning from each other. However the story begins with knowing something with this case goes wrong, it just takes us a while to get there.

The writing was great. I felt for mostly every character. The flow was good too and you get to read about the hard work of a murder investigation and how it impacts you when children are involved.

The setting of Ireland during the recession reads as an almost broken country. Most people are broke and or about to lose their homes. Broken Harbor reads as perfect from afar until you get up close and see the empty homes. Even homes with people living there know they are on borrowed time and the shoddiness of the construction is impacting things as well. It's about two years since the events of "Faithful Place". We hear references to Mackey, but don't see him in this book.

The ending leaves Scorcher adrift. I hope there's some references to him in the next book. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I love how different each of her books are in terms of the character’s voice. Scorcher, a side character in her last book and the narrator of this one, keeps his hand close to his chest for a lot of the book, but the emotional reveals are worth the wait. Oh, and the crime is interesting too. But I’m here more for the emotional mysteries. ( )
  nancyjean19 | Jun 3, 2020 |
Tana French's fourth novel, while quite good, suffers a bit in comparison to the three that precede it, especially the third, Faithful Place. My wife described that book as a "bitter love story," with emphasis on "bitter," and it was one of the most powerful mysteries I've read. Broken Harbor has the trademark French style--snappy dialogue, a driven and haunted narrator, mostly sharp prose peppered with surprising insights into Ireland in particular and human nature in general, plot twists, memorable secondary characters. It's gut-wrenching on many levels. It's only real flaw, I think, is that it comes after Faithful Place, and it falls just short of that novel. That is no reason to not read this one, though.

I'll add that, like others posting here, I too miss Rob and Cassie from the first novel in this series, In the Woods, and hope that French returns to them sometime in the future. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |

Timmermann, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Velzen, MarjoleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Darley, magician and gentleman
Let's get one thing straight: I was the perfect man for this case.

Murder Detective Mick Kennedy is all about control.
Driving the right car. Wearing the right suit. Everything carefully designed to show the world - and most importantly, the killer - that he is in charge of this case.
But Broken Harbour will not be tamed.
This wild, beautiful place holds Mick Kennedy's happiest memories. It also holds his worst.
And now a new horror has happened here, and the cracks are beginning to show.
From the multi-award-winning author of Sunday TImes and New York Times bestseller In the Woods, Broken Harbour is a searing novel of psychological suspense.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,936,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible