Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad)…

Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tana French

1,104897,505 (4)174
Member:Shelfishness
Title:Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad)
Authors:Tana French
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:*****

Broken Harbor by Tana French (2012)

Recently added byabbeyhar, kodypants, vnesting, LB121100, private library, tennwisc
2012 (26) 2013 (18) audiobook (16) crime (25) crime fiction (19) detective (16) Dublin (43) Dublin Murder Squad (12) ebook (14) family (7) fiction (91) Ireland (99) Irish (13) Irish literature (6) Kindle (13) library (7) mental illness (14) murder (27) mystery (152) novel (11) own (12) police (10) police procedural (12) read (11) read in 2012 (19) read in 2013 (11) series (14) suspense (9) thriller (16) to-read (56)

English (84)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (89)
This was another page turner in Tana French's mystery series. It's the fourth in the series and she continues the method of choosing a minor character from her previous book to be the first person voice of the current book. I love that technique because it keeps her writing fresh even though there are other similarities between the books. This book got back to the creepiness that was in her first book In the Woods. I liked it a lot, but not as much as the other books she's written. However, I will eagerly read any book she writes next. ( )
  japaul22 | Jun 9, 2014 |
This fourth Tana French didn't work as well for me. It's well-plotted and all the usual things, but yet again it is a story where the detective's past catches up with him/her in a particular case adding a layer of.... shall we say.... confusion and sorrow to the mix. And yet, this time at moments, it felt contrived, in ways the previous novel Faithful Place did not. Kennedy does have a bad secret and I know that, especially in Ireland, keeping bad stuff to yourself and toughing things out, is axiomatic, or was, until recently. But it's also dangerously close to cliche because of that. So this combined with the tension between his new 'partner' and himself and the way it played out made for too much negativity for me (not to mention the actual 'solve' which is also bleak as hell although that was the best part, really). And yet - how could she have plotted it any other way and made it work? I don't know. It's the trouble I sometimes have with mysteries where the plot demands sometimes overriding everything else (including common sense) until the story becomes .... unsatisfying to the reader because something is out of whack. Maybe I should amend that to 'this reader' because that is how it was for me, a bit over the top. All the same an excellent read and many would not be bothered as I was, I suspect. ***1/2 ( )
  sibyx | May 18, 2014 |
Another intense read in this Dublin based series. ( )
  jhoaglin | May 8, 2014 |
Mick Kennedy finds childhood summer resort converted to hopeless abandoned housing project when unemployed victims of the '08 crash try to hold their lives together. The murder of two children and a father, and serious wounding of the mother demands immediate solution. But Kennedy's personal life impinges on the case as his crazy sister and memories of his mother's suicide at the location years earlier battle with his feelings for the victims and suspects.
  ritaer | Mar 16, 2014 |
Excellent though depressing mystery novel. ( )
  erinster | Mar 15, 2014 |
For Darley, magician and gentleman
Let's get one thing straight: I was the perfect man for this case.

Murder Detective Mick Kennedy is all about control.
Driving the right car. Wearing the right suit. Everything carefully designed to show the world - and most importantly, the killer - that he is in charge of this case.
But Broken Harbour will not be tamed.
This wild, beautiful place holds Mick Kennedy's happiest memories. It also holds his worst.
And now a new horror has happened here, and the cracks are beginning to show.
From the multi-award-winning author of Sunday TImes and New York Times bestseller In the Woods, Broken Harbour is a searing novel of psychological suspense.

In the aftermath of a brutal attack that left a woman in intensive care and her husband and young children dead, brash cop Scorcher Kennedy and his rookie partner, Richie, struggle with perplexing clues and Scorcher's haunting memories of a shattering incident from his childhood.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible