Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad)…

Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tana French

Member:Shelfishness
Title:Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad)
Authors:Tana French
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:*****

Broken Harbor by Tana French (2012)

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Painful childhood memories haunt the detectives of these dark psychological thrillers. Both authors write their respective cities (Boston and Dublin) with realism that augments the flawed, believable characters' struggles. Their secrets and suspicions offer compelling insight into trust in relationships.… (more)

English (139)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (144)
From someone else's review: Mick Kennedy. Scorcher, as he's known, is a by-the-book cop famous for his diligence, attitude, and solve rate. However, he's still trying to make amends for one case, so he's given this one - a family found in an estate in the Irish suburbs. Father Patrick and the two children are dead, while mother/wife Jenny is in critical condition at the hospital. At first, Scorcher and his rookie partner, Richie, think the case is open and shut. But they quickly discover things aren't what they seem--with the Spains themselves or the murder case. Why are there holes all over the family's home, and baby monitors and cameras everywhere? Who erased the family's computer? Why did Jenny pull their young son out of preschool? Scorcher finds himself on a case that will test his resolve and the morals he holds so dearly.

This was an superb book; I don't know how French does it, but her novels never disappoint. It's a bit slow going, but amazingly interesting. Her painstaking detail of a crime scene and murder investigation is thorough and somehow beautiful; she knows her stuff. The first person detail with Mick is a welcome relief, honestly, after the "varying POV" chapters that seem to be the method du jour lately (I know the book is a few years old, but still). Mick is a crazily complex character and hearing his innermost thoughts just adds to his depth.

I won't lie: the book is long and it's probably not for everyone. You need to be a mystery fan and not be thrown off by a main character who talks and shares a lot. There's a dynamic between Mick and his new partner that adds to this detail and character development. Further, Mick and his family have a tie to Broken Harbor (the site of the murder), which involves some flashbacks. Again, it adds length, but also to the depth of his character. Plus, the plot kept me guessing, which I really appreciated. It would have been an easy 4.5 star rating, but it dived a little with the ending and a move that seemed a bit out of character for Mick, but still - an excellent mystery with a detailed and thoughtful plot. I'm glad I've picked up French's series again and look forward to getting completely caught up. ( )
  flashflood42 | Mar 24, 2017 |
As always a good combination of police procedural and psychology. Many unexpected developments and ingenious plot twists. ( )
  Doondeck | Feb 22, 2017 |
Known for her police procedural/psychological thrillers, Tana French has again produced a vivid, tautly -written story with a sinister, sometimes macabre atmosphere. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |

Tana French is the full package: well-written with beautiful prose, a fully developed plot, and complex characters. I have a few issues with the resolution but French writes so well and her stories are so engaging that it’s still a 4 star read for me. I like how she delves into the minds of the detectives and we get to know them as people, flaws and all. As the case wrapped up, there were a few things that didn’t ring true to me but it's still a fantastic read and better than most.
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I enjoy reading the novels in this series. Like the previous three books in the series, Broken Harbor was a quick read in which I could lose myself for a few hours. The plot stretches the limits of credibility in some spots, but I'm pretty much okay with that. The "murder detective haunted by his/her past" trope is growing a little stale (can't anyone be influenced without being haunted?), but not yet stale enough to turn me away from the series.

In this one, I particularly like French's picture of suburban living, the pressure to conform, and the dark side of positive thinking. I wonder if the focus on class would work as well if the novel were set in the United States. We certainly have class divisions and class-based stereotypes, but I'm not sure they're as exaggerated as they are in French's Ireland. For example, I don't think I'd necessarily be able to tell someone's social or economic class based just on their accent. But then, maybe that says more about my knowledge (or lack thereof) of accents and than it does about class divisions in the U.S. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 25, 2016 |

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kolstad, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Velzen, MarjoleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Darley, magician and gentleman
Let's get one thing straight: I was the perfect man for this case.

Murder Detective Mick Kennedy is all about control.
Driving the right car. Wearing the right suit. Everything carefully designed to show the world - and most importantly, the killer - that he is in charge of this case.
But Broken Harbour will not be tamed.
This wild, beautiful place holds Mick Kennedy's happiest memories. It also holds his worst.
And now a new horror has happened here, and the cracks are beginning to show.
From the multi-award-winning author of Sunday TImes and New York Times bestseller In the Woods, Broken Harbour is a searing novel of psychological suspense.

In the aftermath of a brutal attack that left a woman in intensive care and her husband and young children dead, brash cop Scorcher Kennedy and his rookie partner, Richie, struggle with perplexing clues and Scorcher's haunting memories of a shattering incident from his childhood.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,761,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible