Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad)…

Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tana French

Title:Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad)
Authors:Tana French
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages

Broken Harbor by Tana French (2012)

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Painful childhood memories haunt the detectives of these dark psychological thrillers. Both authors write their respective cities (Boston and Dublin) with realism that augments the flawed, believable characters' struggles. Their secrets and suspicions offer compelling insight into trust in relationships.… (more)

English (104)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (109)
This time it's Scorcher Kennedy, Murder D with the highest solve rate, in the spotlight. Coming off a rough patch, he's given a chance to redeem himself by solving the murders of a husband, wife and two kids in what used to be Broken Harbor (now a partially finished/abandoned housing project). An early confession makes it all a little too easy, so he and his rookie partner agree to dig deeper. Another dark one. ( )
  beaujoe | Aug 30, 2015 |
I didn't realize this was book 4 of a series by Tana French but very happy to find this out since I can't wait to read more of her books! This opens up with the murder of a family in an unfinished housing development. You have an excellent, although, damaged detective working the case with a rookie. There's a lot going on in this book and I enjoyed every aspect of it. Sometimes I would have to drive around the block because I was engrossed in the story! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Jun 9, 2015 |
No se que voy a hacer con mi vida mientras espero que salga el próximo . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Book 4, in the Dublin Murder Squad series

Each time I read review I learn something new I never paid enough attention to notice that Ms. French uses a nifty trick of extracting a secondary character from her previous book to put him as the narrator and test him by events she had in store for her current endeavor. I admit not to be a faithful fan and having taken a long break before picking up “Broken Harbor”. This hiatus was exactly what I needed to enjoy and be deeply engaged by the story.

Detective Michael Kennedy (Scorcher from the previous novel) and his newbie partner Richie Curran are handed a horrific case out in one of Dublin’s dying estates built during the housing boom: the Spain family has been slaughtered. It is up to our loveable detectives to delve right in and piece everything together …. Or so we think…

The plot is exciting and a well-crafted detective story. The first part of the book is the set up. We follow the police procedures and slowly the buildup comes along and we have some interesting observations about murder and how people behave. The interrogation phase unfolds at a leisurely pace and plays a good part in this mystery. Then we move into a full page-turner mode and everything gets more puzzling with each new twist. Scorcher’s voice is outstanding and the prose is vividly brilliant. This novel is not only a complex mystery it is also an interesting and chilling metaphor for mental illness and depression. The protagonist’s past (a sub-plot) is quite effective. I also would say that Ms. French vision of Ireland in post economic collapse is fascinating.

Enough said ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Jun 1, 2015 |
So far there isn't one Tana French novel I haven't loved. This one features a police detective with deep psychological scars who comes up against a case that makes him borderline unstable. Wait, that's every book. Let me be more specific.

This book features detective Scorcher Kennedy, a rule-bound, no-nonsense detective with the best solve-rate in the squad. He is asked to investigate a horrific assault against a family living in a housing development by the Irish sea, where most of the houses are empty after the 2008 economic crash. The problem for Kennedy is that the area where the murders took place
is where he vacationed as a boy, and he harbors some horrific memories of his own.

It's hard to talk more about the story line without spoilers. The appeal lies in the interaction between Kennedy and his brand-new partner, the very vivid setting, the convincingly drawn secondary characters, and the Irish social problems that loom so large over the story. Who done it? The crash done it, and the predatory lenders (that's not a spoiler; it's a metaphor).

If Tana French has a formula going, it's okay by me. Her books are un-put-downable. ( )
  CasualFriday | May 18, 2015 |

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kolstad, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Velzen, MarjoleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Darley, magician and gentleman
Let's get one thing straight: I was the perfect man for this case.

Murder Detective Mick Kennedy is all about control.
Driving the right car. Wearing the right suit. Everything carefully designed to show the world - and most importantly, the killer - that he is in charge of this case.
But Broken Harbour will not be tamed.
This wild, beautiful place holds Mick Kennedy's happiest memories. It also holds his worst.
And now a new horror has happened here, and the cracks are beginning to show.
From the multi-award-winning author of Sunday TImes and New York Times bestseller In the Woods, Broken Harbour is a searing novel of psychological suspense.

In the aftermath of a brutal attack that left a woman in intensive care and her husband and young children dead, brash cop Scorcher Kennedy and his rookie partner, Richie, struggle with perplexing clues and Scorcher's haunting memories of a shattering incident from his childhood.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,815,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible