Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad)…

Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tana French

Member:starboard
Title:Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad)
Authors:Tana French
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:****1/2

Broken Harbor by Tana French (2012)

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Painful childhood memories haunt the detectives of these dark psychological thrillers. Both authors write their respective cities (Boston and Dublin) with realism that augments the flawed, believable characters' struggles. Their secrets and suspicions offer compelling insight into trust in relationships.… (more)

English (127)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (132)
The magic I kept waiting and reading for just didn't happen. Almost three quarters of the book was spent tediously compiling evidence while the two detectives fumbled at working as partners. There was no Rob Ryan/Cassie Maddox rapport here and there were clues just 'left over' at the end. Yes, the revelation was a genuine surprise when it finally arrived. But it was not the eureka! moment where all the elements of the mystery are illuminated in a wholly different light so the oddness and inconsistencies become a clear pattern. If anything, the solution made the implausible seem even more so as it relied on bizarre behavior from too many of the characters.
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Really effing disturbing, but just as well written as all her other books. ( )
  Bram.Cleaver | Jun 1, 2016 |
Review: Broken Harbor by Tana French.

This amazing book belongs to a series but doesn’t have to be read as a series. This mystery/suspense and psychological thriller novel is well written and I found it captivating. The story flowed quickly and the characters were well developed and the dialogue was entertaining and natural. I thought Tana French wrote as a great originator and was perceptively on course when it came to human behavior. She was able to hold my attention through lengthy passages of soul-searching dialogue, because the clues to the case lie as much in the words spoken and written as in the reality of true evidence. The organization/structure of the story went well, rich in detail, ambience, complexity, and motivation. What I liked was Tana French’s characterization and her skill with developing compassion for the detective, the victim’s and for the perpetrator at one time or another. Even though it was a great story I felt there were some flaws and things I questioned that were open-coincidences in the story.

The novel was about a high-profile mass murder case of a family in a small coastal town once called Broken Harbor, now called Brianstown. The story follows Mick “Scorcher” Kennedy, age 42, an Irish Murder Squad detective who has an excellent track record of solving murder the honest way. He is a tough guy, a loner, mostly friendless, who rarely talks about himself and some find him arrogant. He and his partner, Richie Curran, a rookie in training, are assigned to the case. This case however, haunts Mick, and he feels that when he is called out to investigate the murder of Pat Spain and his two young children, and the attempted murder of Jenny Spain, he is forced to face intense ghosts from the past.

Mick and Richie head out to crime scene where Patrick Spain and his two children lie dead and the mother, Jenny is on the verge of death in ICU. The case is full of unexplained circumstances, hidden clues, and contradictions which enmeshes the two detectives in a prolong investigation that threatens to end both of their careers. Both detectives have a difference of opinion of what might have happened but they both agreed hesitantly to dig deeper for more info and evidence. The investigation became a little tedious but I held in there because of contradictions of evidence and motivation that I hadn’t got the answers to yet. I was so deep into the story that I was coming up with my own scenario, which I will say I was wrong.

There were plenty of things unexplained when they did finally find a suspect but they were only able to hold him so long without charging him with the crime. They needed more time to investigate the issues they had; Why was their holes in the wall throughout the house crime seen?, What kind of animal was in the attic making Patrick Spain so obsessed to the point that he placed baby monitors throughout the house?, Why was a former best friend of the family stalking them?, Why was Jenny so obsessed with what people thought of them, Why were the children acting strange?.

“The story portrays the effect of financial meltdown on individuals and of memory and the past on perception”. (This sentence was taken from another source)

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Mick “Scorcher” Kennedy always brings in the killer. Always. That’s why he’s landed this high-profile triple homicide. At first, he thinks it’s going to be simple, but the murder scene holds terrifying memories for Scorcher. Memories of something that happened there back when he was a boy.

My Thoughts:

Despite finding Mike Kennedy pretty unlikable (to say nothing of his mentally ill sister,) I was completely caught up in the plot and characters up until the rookie policeman, Curran, does something completely out of the blue to destroy the case. I read his explanation for why he did this over and over and it just didn't ring true for me. Same goes for the true motives behind the murders. If the book had been 100 pages shorter, it might have placed less of a strain on the last third of the plot.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
My least favorite of the set of books, only because I didn't like the premise itself. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kolstad, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Velzen, MarjoleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Darley, magician and gentleman
Let's get one thing straight: I was the perfect man for this case.

Murder Detective Mick Kennedy is all about control.
Driving the right car. Wearing the right suit. Everything carefully designed to show the world - and most importantly, the killer - that he is in charge of this case.
But Broken Harbour will not be tamed.
This wild, beautiful place holds Mick Kennedy's happiest memories. It also holds his worst.
And now a new horror has happened here, and the cracks are beginning to show.
From the multi-award-winning author of Sunday TImes and New York Times bestseller In the Woods, Broken Harbour is a searing novel of psychological suspense.

In the aftermath of a brutal attack that left a woman in intensive care and her husband and young children dead, brash cop Scorcher Kennedy and his rookie partner, Richie, struggle with perplexing clues and Scorcher's haunting memories of a shattering incident from his childhood.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,896,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible