Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad)…

Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tana French

Member:starboard
Title:Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad)
Authors:Tana French
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:****1/2

Broken Harbor by Tana French (2012)

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Painful childhood memories haunt the detectives of these dark psychological thrillers. Both authors write their respective cities (Boston and Dublin) with realism that augments the flawed, believable characters' struggles. Their secrets and suspicions offer compelling insight into trust in relationships.… (more)

English (138)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (143)
As always a good combination of police procedural and psychology. Many unexpected developments and ingenious plot twists. ( )
  Doondeck | Feb 22, 2017 |
Known for her police procedural/psychological thrillers, Tana French has again produced a vivid, tautly -written story with a sinister, sometimes macabre atmosphere. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |

Tana French is the full package: well-written with beautiful prose, a fully developed plot, and complex characters. I have a few issues with the resolution but French writes so well and her stories are so engaging that it’s still a 4 star read for me. I like how she delves into the minds of the detectives and we get to know them as people, flaws and all. As the case wrapped up, there were a few things that didn’t ring true to me but it's still a fantastic read and better than most.
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I enjoy reading the novels in this series. Like the previous three books in the series, Broken Harbor was a quick read in which I could lose myself for a few hours. The plot stretches the limits of credibility in some spots, but I'm pretty much okay with that. The "murder detective haunted by his/her past" trope is growing a little stale (can't anyone be influenced without being haunted?), but not yet stale enough to turn me away from the series.

In this one, I particularly like French's picture of suburban living, the pressure to conform, and the dark side of positive thinking. I wonder if the focus on class would work as well if the novel were set in the United States. We certainly have class divisions and class-based stereotypes, but I'm not sure they're as exaggerated as they are in French's Ireland. For example, I don't think I'd necessarily be able to tell someone's social or economic class based just on their accent. But then, maybe that says more about my knowledge (or lack thereof) of accents and than it does about class divisions in the U.S. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 25, 2016 |
This was the first book I've read in this series and I never felt like I was behind. What a fantastic, well written crime novel! I enjoyed the pace, the characters and detecting. I am going to have to go back and read the rest of them now! ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kolstad, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Velzen, MarjoleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Darley, magician and gentleman
Let's get one thing straight: I was the perfect man for this case.

Murder Detective Mick Kennedy is all about control.
Driving the right car. Wearing the right suit. Everything carefully designed to show the world - and most importantly, the killer - that he is in charge of this case.
But Broken Harbour will not be tamed.
This wild, beautiful place holds Mick Kennedy's happiest memories. It also holds his worst.
And now a new horror has happened here, and the cracks are beginning to show.
From the multi-award-winning author of Sunday TImes and New York Times bestseller In the Woods, Broken Harbour is a searing novel of psychological suspense.

In the aftermath of a brutal attack that left a woman in intensive care and her husband and young children dead, brash cop Scorcher Kennedy and his rookie partner, Richie, struggle with perplexing clues and Scorcher's haunting memories of a shattering incident from his childhood.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,542,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible