Broken Harbor by Tana French

Broken Harbor (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Tana French

Member:lindalainey
Title:Broken Harbor
Authors:Tana French
Info:New York : Viking Penguin, 2012.
Rating:*****

Broken Harbor by Tana French (2012)

Mystic River by Dennis Lehane (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Painful childhood memories haunt the detectives of these dark psychological thrillers. Both authors write their respective cities (Boston and Dublin) with realism that augments the flawed, believable characters' struggles. Their secrets and suspicions offer compelling insight into trust in relationships.… (more)

English (162)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (168)
If this were any other author, I'd be giving it 5 stars. But I've read French's other books in this series; I know what she's capable of. The mystery is just as intricate as the others, but I wasn't as connected to the characters, or as emotionally invested in them, as I have been in all her other novels. I've become accustomed to being forced to feel things while reading French's novels. And I was disappointed that Broken Harbor didn't tear an emotional hole in me as well.

This is the first time Tana French has failed to knock me off my feet with a novel--I hope it's the last. ( )
  dananas | Apr 17, 2019 |
Detective Mick Kennedy, also known as Scorcher is on a case in a new and unfinished building project in an abandoned neighborhood in Broken Harbor, Ireland. Scorcher was given that nickname, because he has a perfect track record. In this novel, he is faced with the biggest case of his career. A family of four is brutally murdered. Within days, he already has his perpetrator, however, too many details in the case do not make sense. Why are there random holes in the wall? And why are several baby monitors facing those holes? To make matters worse, Scorcher has terrible childhood memories of Broken Harbor. Will he be able to be unbiased in working this crime?

This is another awesome mystery by Ms. French! I could not put this book down! There was not a dull moment from the beginning, when the crime scene is discovered, until the very end. This one kept me guessing, with its many twists and turns. And I love our author’s characters, too. Each is so well-developed and realistic. And her settings are vivid unforgettable, too! You cannot miss this one! ( )
  Sandralovesbooks | Mar 2, 2019 |
Lovd this series and look forward to reading more from her ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
Lovd this series and look forward to reading more from her ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
It seems to me that the fourth volume of the Dublin Murder Squad series is more of a quiet psychological tune, though the murders are very brutal. This book shows how strong love can be, not only with the sacrificial family but also with Kennedy and his sister. Uncovering the case is very subtle with a lot of psychology. ( )
  Ameise1 | Oct 28, 2018 |

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kolstad, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Velzen, MarjoleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Darley, magician and gentleman
Let's get one thing straight: I was the perfect man for this case.

Murder Detective Mick Kennedy is all about control.
Driving the right car. Wearing the right suit. Everything carefully designed to show the world - and most importantly, the killer - that he is in charge of this case.
But Broken Harbour will not be tamed.
This wild, beautiful place holds Mick Kennedy's happiest memories. It also holds his worst.
And now a new horror has happened here, and the cracks are beginning to show.
From the multi-award-winning author of Sunday TImes and New York Times bestseller In the Woods, Broken Harbour is a searing novel of psychological suspense.

In the aftermath of a brutal attack that left a woman in intensive care and her husband and young children dead, brash cop Scorcher Kennedy and his rookie partner, Richie, struggle with perplexing clues and Scorcher's haunting memories of a shattering incident from his childhood.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,851,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible