The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hinduism by…

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hinduism

by Linda Johnsen

This is a good overview of the history and philosophy; gods, people and places of Hinduism. Baring in mind that this covers over four thousand years of beliefs Johnsen doesn't do a bad job though sometimes her style did occasionally irritate me - but then what do you expect when you pick up an "Idiot's Guide". Johnsen is a convert to Hinduism and her passion for her chosen religion is obvious but this is not a flaw. I like people who are passionate about their subject.

Lots of good information, mostly clearly presented. An easy read with maybe a little bit too much repetition for my taste. Overall it was a worthwhile read. ( )
  calm | Apr 27, 2011 |
  Anagarika-Sean | Sep 25, 2010 |
A terrible book, written from a very religous perspective, without any objective view. It also ignores all linguistic and archeological evidence of the Indo-Aryan settlement in India. ( )
  hnn | Sep 1, 2010 |
For anyone interested in learning about Hinduism, this is the book for you. This was an excellent, easy read. I enjoy researching Hinduism, and this book was able to teach me a few new things. A great find. ( )
  Anagarika | Oct 30, 2009 |
I was not expecting anything close to the quality presented here. Anyone will have room to nitpick, which is a given for this kind of crib notes for thousands of years of history. That said, what's right overwhelms the wrong by a large margin. ( )
  johnemersonsfoot | Jun 23, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0028642279, Paperback)

Hinduism is such a vast, complex, and exotic topic that to boil it down to a few hundred pages--and make it fun--must be the work of a true avatar, in this case Linda Johnsen. In The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hinduism, Johnsen covers the history, philosophy, devotions, gods, and traditions of this timeless religion. She takes pains to not only make the material easy to read and understand but to get inside the minds of Hindus, themselves, to make sense of what they believe and why. This sympathetic view is balanced by objective and concrete reporting. For example, she presents discussions of the Aryan Invasion theory, whether Jesus visited India, and a well-documented case of modern-day reincarnation. In addition to introducing each of the different strains of Hinduism and their beliefs, she also gives an overview of the classic Hindu myths. Exotic, yes, but Johnsen succeeds in bringing Hinduism closer to home. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:15 -0400)

Covering the long history of how the Hindu religion has developed from its fragmented origins, this is a comprehensive guide to Hindu religion and culture, from karma and reincarnation to dietary habits and the caste system.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,384,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible