Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Gossamer (2006)

by Lois Lowry

What starts out as a good story eventually degrades after the first couple of chapters. The characters are interesting but there is not enough back story to even care about most of them except John and his mother. I felt that the story was moved at a very fast paced which was disappointing as I felt that the story could of been better. The lack of detail of how the dream-givers really look grew on me and when I was done the book and the issued still had not been addressed, I was a tad bit disappointed. This book is not all bad though, the fantasy elements in it kept me going and the fact that dream givers give animals dreams made me wonder if it could happen in real life. The book is also easy to read and there aren't very many big words which is another plus. When I was done with the book, I was somewhat satisfied but the ending wanted me having more of the book. ( )
  Remy_Ferrell | Sep 13, 2014 |
Gossamer took a realistic troubled life story and mixed it into an imaginary world. With the help of Dream Givers,especially Littlest one, the characters change for the better. They are happy from the dreams and guidance they receive. Even the older Dream Givers are inspired by Littlest One, who is the newest of the group.Even the Sinisteeds,the nightmare givers, cannot compete with her. She is a joy and an inspirational character. I love how this book touches on a problem without giving a negative feeling to the reader.It might help children understand that dreams comes from memories and events that happened and that nightmares always end. I got a sense from the book that anyone, no matter how small can help you grow and become a better more rounded person. I would read this to my class to give them a sense of hope and show that no matter how big a problem, there is always a solution or something positive coming. ( )
  marabie | Sep 10, 2014 |
This book centers around the lives of humans, both children and adults, as well as "dream givers", or fairies. Littlest One is a dream giver in training, she is learning the ropes of how to give humans, and pets, their dreams. Littlest One is curious about all things, she wonders who and what she is and what exactly is the gift of dream giving. Littlest One, guided by other dream guiders, is able to give dreams to a young boy, named John, his foster parent, the old woman, and her dog, Toby. Littlest One must also learn to protect them from the evil "Sinisteeds" who bestow nightmares on the humans.

Lowry not only gives the point of view of Littlest One and her fellow dream givers, but also the humans in the book. Lowry gives details of John's past of abuse from his father, the old woman's pains of loneliness, and also John's mother, who is trying to get her life together after getting rid of John's abusive father. This was a nice mix, there is the fantasy world of the dream givers and sinisteeds, and also the more realistic, and not always pleasant, world of the humans. Although this is a nonfiction book, it has major relatable issues and was a great read for young adults. ( )
  SMLawrence | Sep 9, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book! Lowry gives a heartwarming tale about sleeping dreams and a young boys future dreams. The book gives hope to young readers who are in this situation, and sympathy for others for those who are fortunate enough to never be in some tough situations.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
Gossamer is about a young boy who fell into foster care because of his abusive father, and an older woman who takes him in. "Dream givers" visit nightly to try and save the boy from the effects of his past and to give hope to both the boy and the older lady. "Sinisteeds" try to counterattack with nightmares. It is a story of hope and perseverance. ( )
  rhigginbotham | Sep 7, 2014 |
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
--William Shakespeare
"The Tempest" Act 4, Scene 1
For Nadine
An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:09 -0400)

While learning to bestow dreams, a young dream giver tries to save an eight-year-old boy from the effects of both his abusive past and the nightmares inflicted on him by the frightening Sinisteeds.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,665,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible