Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Gossamer (2006)

by Lois Lowry

Gossamer is a charming book about dreams. Dream-givers are fairy-like creatures that use fragments of memories gathered from personal items to bestow dreams on people (and sometimes pets). Unfortunately, there are also creatures that inflict nightmares. This book tells the story of a woman, a boy, a dog, and two dream givers. When the boy is targeted for an onslaught of nightmares, the dream givers assigned to the house must use all their abilities to strengthen him and help him overcome his fears. I felt that the book was a sweet story with some dark undertones (the boy is a foster child with a history of abuse), but I also felt like it was unsatisfying. It had great potential, but in the end I felt as if I would liked the story to feel deeper. Perhaps I am expecting too much of a book written for children. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |
The story of dreamgivers, short and sweet. ( )
  Don_Mega | Dec 18, 2015 |
A young boy from an abusive home, and an old woman with a lonely past are suddenly colliding. Between them, imaginary beings attempt to strengthen, and renew them by way of dreams. Fighting the hordes of Sinisteed's that come to steal their joy, and energy in the form of nightmares. ( )
  candyceutter | Dec 3, 2015 |
In this book a dream giver, Littlest, is trying to help John have good dreams. His past made him susceptible to the Sinisteeds so Littlest is trying to make him have better dreams. John also realizes that he needs his foster mother more than he thought. ( )
  glguerra | Dec 1, 2015 |
When I first looked up "Gossamer" on the web in order to buy the book I came across the Looney Tunes character. I had remembered that big hairy monster from years ago but I never knew that was his name. It made me then wonder if that was what a Gossamer was but after reading the book I was thoroughly confused. It had nothing to do with a big hairy monster. Then I looked a little further and found this statement online: "The word "gossamer" means any sort of thin, fragile, transparent material — in particular, it can refer to a kind of delicate, sheer gauze or a light cobweb. The name is meant to be ironic, since the character is large, menacing, and destructive." I then understood.
I did enjoy this book. I thought it was very sweet and endearing. I do love how each of the characters changed by the end of the book. Some even experienced personal growth. I did not like how Lois Lowry structured her quotes though. It made for understanding who was saying what a little challenging. This book made me think about little dream givers bestowing all the nice dreams I have on me and blaming Sinisteeds for all the not so nice dreams. I can almost picture it, I love it. ( )
  kesteves | Nov 19, 2015 |
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
--William Shakespeare
"The Tempest" Act 4, Scene 1
For Nadine
An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:43 -0400)

While learning to bestow dreams, a young dream giver tries to save an eight-year-old boy from the effects of both his abusive past and the nightmares inflicted on him by the frightening Sinisteeds.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,993,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible