Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Gossamer (2006)

by Lois Lowry

When I first looked up "Gossamer" on the web in order to buy the book I came across the Looney Tunes character. I had remembered that big hairy monster from years ago but I never knew that was his name. It made me then wonder if that was what a Gossamer was but after reading the book I was thoroughly confused. It had nothing to do with a big hairy monster. Then I looked a little further and found this statement online: "The word "gossamer" means any sort of thin, fragile, transparent material — in particular, it can refer to a kind of delicate, sheer gauze or a light cobweb. The name is meant to be ironic, since the character is large, menacing, and destructive." I then understood.
I did enjoy this book. I thought it was very sweet and endearing. I do love how each of the characters changed by the end of the book. Some even experienced personal growth. I did not like how Lois Lowry structured her quotes though. It made for understanding who was saying what a little challenging. This book made me think about little dream givers bestowing all the nice dreams I have on me and blaming Sinisteeds for all the not so nice dreams. I can almost picture it, I love it. ( )
  kesteves | Nov 19, 2015 |
In GOSSAMER, Lowry has created an alternative world of Dreamgivers -- an oh-so-believable concept in which creatures bestow dreams on humans. Yet she weaves this ethereal world with the real world, the two universes mirroring one another in some ways; that is, both have good and evil, the bedrock of the fantasy genre. Lowry effectively uses multiple points of view to tell the story, and it works. Some readers, no doubt, are swept into the human world, eager to see how John, the abused boy, and the woman who takes him in are faring. I was swept into the world of the dreamgivers and loved the descriptions that Lowry painted as Littlest One touched the human's things, gathering from them fragments of happy memories in order to bestow pleasant dreams. The varying points of view add depth to the arc of the plot. The boy's story of abuse unfolds as does his arduous journey to trusting people; the mother's story of poverty, and also abuse from her domineering husband, adds a level of understanding to John's story all leading to a satisfying end. People can survive horrendous abuse if they have enough support and love surrounding them; trust is possible again. People also heal themselves -- and I think that's the essence of what the dreams are about. Dreams are our unconscious working on us during the night; and maybe dreams do harvest the bits and pieces of happiness in our lives to lead us to new understandings. ( )
  pataustin | Nov 18, 2015 |
The Gossamer by Lois Lowry is novel about little fairy-tale like creatures who help humans dream at night. This book is about the littlest one who is learning how give dreams to humans. The littlest ones job is to protect, John, a foster child, from the Sinisteeds. The sinisteeds are evil creatures who give humans night mares. Lowry's story is extremely interesting because, it changes from reality to the imaginary. I think this book is kinda out there and I thought it was strange. ( )
  Sleco | Nov 18, 2015 |
"I don't want it to choose the boy," Littles whispered in her tiniest voice. "He's not as strong as the woman. He cried in his bed before he slept." - Gossamer

From where do dreams and nightmares come? In "Gossamer," the reader follows the path of Littlest One, a dream-giver, as she learns the art of bestowing dreams. Sadly, the night belongs to others as well, sinisteeds are on the prowl. They burn their way into homes and hearts, giving nightmares to whoever seems vulnerable. What can Littlest One do to protect the heart of John, a foster child? Because he has been through so much in his short life, John is the perfect target for the sinisteeds. An enthralling and heart-warming read that begs to be shared in any home, classroom or library. ( )
  cabaty | Nov 18, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. I mainly enjoyed how the story goes back and forth between real life situations and imaginary creatures. The little boys story about how his father treated him was so sad. The abuse the little boy went through was just horrible. I also found the way Lois Lowrey explained how the dreams were bestowed upon people to be very creative and intriguing. ( )
  ashleypierce | Nov 18, 2015 |
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
--William Shakespeare
"The Tempest" Act 4, Scene 1
For Nadine
An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:43 -0400)

While learning to bestow dreams, a young dream giver tries to save an eight-year-old boy from the effects of both his abusive past and the nightmares inflicted on him by the frightening Sinisteeds.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible