Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Gossamer (2006)

by Lois Lowry

Are there dream givers who roam in the night living humans with memories to help them have good dreams? Reading this book has surely made me think so. How cool would it be to have small magical beings fluttering around you at night, protecting you from Sinisteeds who deliver bad dreams? This book parallels imagination and reality, which makes it more interesting. Reading this book, I had to use my dictionary app a few times. All of the character’s names have meaning that represents their personality and the themes in the story. ( )
  kbartholomew1 | Apr 16, 2015 |
I really liked this book. I am not a names person and did not know that Lois Lowry had written The Giver. This had trapping of her style in it and I was amazed to find out exactly who she was. She is an amazing writer. She always has the most original story to tell.
Starting with dreams and their origins. We find out that these mystical, magical beings are the dream givers. I love the style Lowry uses by switching between reality and imagination.
The story centers around an old woman who adopts a little boy. He is very angry and terrible at times. But, life has dealt him a bad hand and he is coping the best he can. He was heavily abused by his father and his mother did not do much to stop it. The other side of the story centers around these magical almost fairy like beings. They give people dream by taking memories from everyday items. By touching these items they are able to concoct amazing dreams for people.
The little boy is in bad shape and the evil sinesteeds know it. They are the nightmare givers. They are trying to break the boy. Littlest, one of the dream givers, risks her life to help the boy by giving him an amazing dream that strengthens him and makes the nightmares not as bad.
It is a great book that shows us the power we have over bad things and thoughts. ( )
  chrisriggleman | Apr 15, 2015 |
More complex and intense than one would think at first - but then we know that about Lowry's works already. This would make a great family read-together because the children are young, the adults are of assorted ages, there are intense themes (including child abuse) - and there's also humor and joy. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Gossamer is fantasy novel about fairy-like beings who are dream-givers. The dream-giver's mission is to bestow perfect dreams upon people using items they find around the house, such as a photograph. Eventually, the story centers around a John, a little who comes from a broken home and lives with an older woman. But when sinisteeds arrive and inflict horrible nightmares upon dreamers, it's up to dream givers to protect them. Gossamer provides readers with an opportunity to explore their imaginations. It also makes readers wonder about the possibilities of the existence of dream-givers and sinisteeds. This novel is appropriate for students who are in middle school and can fully understand what's occurring within the book. ( )
  jwesley | Apr 12, 2015 |
This is a fantasy piece about the beings that bring humans dreams. I really didn't enjoy it that much. I am very much a reader of science fiction and fantasy, and this just didn't do it for me. It was okay, with some nice imagery, but I just felt it was a little underdeveloped as far as the development of how the processes and the beings' social structure. It felt more like a short story than a novel to me. I suppose it could be an introduction to the fantasy genre, since it blends the fantastic with reality. I might use it for that purpose to delineate what qualifies a text as fantasy. I just like my fantasy more fantastical.
Reading Level: 4.9 Interest Level: 5-8 ( )
  TaraKennedy | Apr 9, 2015 |
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
--William Shakespeare
"The Tempest" Act 4, Scene 1
For Nadine
An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:09 -0400)

While learning to bestow dreams, a young dream giver tries to save an eight-year-old boy from the effects of both his abusive past and the nightmares inflicted on him by the frightening Sinisteeds.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,566,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible