Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Gossamer (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Member:booksandwine
Title:Gossamer
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2006), Hardcover, 144 pages

Gossamer by Lois Lowry (2006)

Gossamer by Lois Lowry tells a story of dream-givers, sinisteeds, and humans. I was never a huge fan of Lois Lowry, but this book was awesome. It tells of a little dream-giver called Littlest One and Littlest One spends the entire book trying to prove himself and he does just that. There is another character called John and John has come down on really hard times. He has had a hard life and Littlest One and John, unknowingly work together to create better lives for them both, metaphorically. The dream-givers collect memories and use them to bestow good dreams onto humans. ( )
  Nijania | Dec 4, 2014 |
My main experience with Lois Lowry has been through The Giver, that I read years ago, but as an adult. The book recently came out as a movie, which I have not seen. I remember thinking the book gave some good fodder for thought for kids, and that it was well written.

Gossamer came to me via BookCrossing. Had I not been faced with an overwhelming task which required little brain power, and much patience, I probably wouldn't have popped the CDs into the player, but I was, and I did. This is a gentle story, mostly about where dreams come from, and the power of keeping hope over despair. ( )
  bookczuk | Nov 22, 2014 |
Gossamer is a story about a dream-giver named littlest who is training to one day give good dreams to humans by herself. There is a boy named John, who is dealing with being abused by his father. There is an old woman who takes care of John and helps him deal with his problems. She also fills a void in her life by helping John. There is also John’s mother who is working hard to get her life straight so she can get John back. While they are all sleeping the dream-givers are giving humans good dreams to help them rest and re-energize for the next day. The dream-givers enemies are the Sinisteeds which are trying to undo the work of the dream-givers by bestowing nightmares on the humans. ( )
  ecollado | Nov 2, 2014 |
The story Gossamer is about a dream-giver named Littlest, a boy named John, and a woman. They all had a story. This story can be an inspiration for everyone. The dream givers in the story place happy dreams into those who are sleeping. Dream givers also fight off nightmares. Littlest is assigned to John and throughout the story she really makes an impact on his life. In the story we get to follow each characters life and see change. The dream givers reminded me of guardian angels.This story in my opinion will teach children or anyone about hope and to keep fighting. This story could be read by anyone and they would really enjoy it. ( )
  TaylorRankins | Oct 14, 2014 |
Lowry brings readers into the whispering world of dream givers. This book tells the story of Littlest One and John trying to figure out their purpose's in life. With the theme of being positive in all situations, Lowry's characters strive to reach that goal. I loved this book! I believe that any young reader who is into fantasy will enjoy it too. ( )
  kwolinski | Oct 6, 2014 |
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
--William Shakespeare
"The Tempest" Act 4, Scene 1
For Nadine
An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:09 -0400)

While learning to bestow dreams, a young dream giver tries to save an eight-year-old boy from the effects of both his abusive past and the nightmares inflicted on him by the frightening Sinisteeds.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,397,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible