Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Gossamer (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Member:booksandwine
Title:Gossamer
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2006), Hardcover, 144 pages

Gossamer by Lois Lowry (2006)

This is a wonderful story about an elderly woman who fosters a young boy trying to heal from an abusive past and is also the story of his mother; through the eyes of dream givers, we see her try to pick up the pieces of her life and move on after leaving an abusive relationship. It is also the story about tiny creatures that bring dreams to humans which help them to cope with life and help them to find peace. We come to know the characters through the lenses of these creatures. I love the imaginative aspects of this story and that the characters are able to move forward with their lives. It is a story about abuse, but it ends on a hopeful note. ( )
  SuPendleton | Jul 13, 2014 |
I originally didn't like this book, but went back and read it again and it ended up being one of my favorite books. I love the imagination that is used to write this book. ( )
  EmilySansovich | Apr 25, 2014 |
I was not crazy about this book. I found the way things were named and worded kind of hard to follow. I can see why some people may be crazy about this book, but it just was not for me. ( )
  SamanthaMulkey | Apr 24, 2014 |
A dream giver helps save the life of a boy from a nightmare giver.
  tina265 | Apr 22, 2014 |
Gossamer is a children's fantasy book that mixes with real life situations. It mixes a world of creatures that are dream givers and a story about a child going into a foster home. The stories switch from different characters but their stories are all woven into one. I really liked this book a lot and would definitely read it to students ages 3-5. ( )
  aloupe | Apr 20, 2014 |
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
--William Shakespeare
"The Tempest" Act 4, Scene 1
For Nadine
An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:09 -0400)

While learning to bestow dreams, a young dream giver tries to save an eight-year-old boy from the effects of both his abusive past and the nightmares inflicted on him by the frightening Sinisteeds.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,284,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible