Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Gossamer (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Member:booksandwine
Title:Gossamer
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2006), Hardcover, 144 pages

Gossamer by Lois Lowry (2006)

The story Gossamer is about a dream-giver named Littlest, a boy named John, and a woman. They all had a story. This story can be an inspiration for everyone. The dream givers in the story place happy dreams into those who are sleeping. Dream givers also fight off nightmares. Littlest is assigned to John and throughout the story she really makes an impact on his life. In the story we get to follow each characters life and see change. The dream givers reminded me of guardian angels.This story in my opinion will teach children or anyone about hope and to keep fighting. This story could be read by anyone and they would really enjoy it. ( )
  TaylorRankins | Oct 14, 2014 |
Lowry brings readers into the whispering world of dream givers. This book tells the story of Littlest One and John trying to figure out their purpose's in life. With the theme of being positive in all situations, Lowry's characters strive to reach that goal. I loved this book! I believe that any young reader who is into fantasy will enjoy it too. ( )
  kwolinski | Oct 6, 2014 |
I book made me think so much of what dream givers look like. Do they look like fairies? When I was reading this book it made me think that they did look like fairies. It also made me think are dream givers real. I think that most people that read this book had the same imagination I did also. I really enjoyed this book so much. One of the best books I read so far in my children literature class. ( )
  thnguyen | Oct 4, 2014 |
Dreamgivers roam the night giving sweet dreams to those sleeping. A little boy come from a dysfunctional family and the dreamgiver tries to give him happy dreams because the Steeds are going to target him and bestow on him nightmares. I would read this book because it shows hope. Hope for his mother and hope for him.
  Y-NhiVu | Oct 3, 2014 |
This was a very interesting book. Lois Lowry tried to get her point across with when you have a dream-giver it isn't so bad after alll. Little one is gossamer because he is in control of John's dreams and to make sure no evil nightmares from Sinisteeds. Thin elderly seems to be the most mature character in the novel because maybe she has more experience. I really enjoyed the book. ( )
  emilyann93 | Oct 2, 2014 |
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
--William Shakespeare
"The Tempest" Act 4, Scene 1
For Nadine
An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:09 -0400)

While learning to bestow dreams, a young dream giver tries to save an eight-year-old boy from the effects of both his abusive past and the nightmares inflicted on him by the frightening Sinisteeds.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible