Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Gossamer (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Member:booksandwine
Title:Gossamer
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2006), Hardcover, 144 pages

Gossamer by Lois Lowry (2006)

Recently added byBunderkin, private library, leydenk, MontagueES, elleduc

Gossamer gives us the pathway to explore an imaginary world. This book is about how little creatures help humans dream at night. They kind of reminded me of tooth fairies. In the novel we are introduced to a little boy that has been taken in by an elderly lady. The boy lived an abuse life so he acts out. Sinisteeds start to inflict the boy with horrible nightmares, but it is Littlest One's duty to protect the boy from the nightmares. A cool activity would be to make dream catchers and discuss how and why we dream. ( )
  sottallah | May 6, 2015 |
This children's novel follows the character Little One as she learns to give dreams to humans. Little One learns how to find gather information to give people good dreams. Through the book we meet John, and learn the sinisteeds are trying to give him nightmares, so Little One must protect him! I thought this book was very unique, but personally it did not capture my attention like i wanted it to. I liked the concept but it just wasn't for me.

Teaching Ideas: learning about dreams, such as what causes them, the sleep cycle
  aehunter | May 4, 2015 |
This is a great story that is full of fictional elements while adding a real life situation, being a foster child.
I would use "Gossamer" in the classroom to have students draw conclusions about name significance in books. The names Gossamer, Strapping, Thin Elderly, Fastidious, the Heap and even John are allusions to the characters' or place meaning or purpose. This would also be a great book to have children decide the other elements of a book. ( )
  RachelBowers | Apr 30, 2015 |
Gossamer is a story about a tiny creature named Little One learning how to give dreams to humans. Little one and his teacher, Thin Elderly, go inside a woman's home and touch different objects in order to gather information to place into the woman's dreams. The woman fosters a boy named John, who has had a troubled past. The sinisteeds try to go after John by giving him horrible nightmares. It is Littlest One's job to protect John from the sinisteeds and lead him to a happier life. I really enjoyed this novel and thought it was so interesting. This story made me think about what triggers certain dreams. Lowry came up with such a unique idea to write about and I think all readers would enjoy this story. ( )
  EmilyDrennan | Apr 26, 2015 |
Lowry's story is about a young fairy-like creature on a journey to learn how to impart dreams on humans. Littlest-One is assigned a boy in a foster home who has nightmares because of the evil Sinisteeds. Littlest-One must learn to fit off the Sinisteeds to save the boy from his horrible nightmares. I personally am not a fan of fantasy themed books, but I did find this book enjoyable. I thought Lowry's story was an interesting take on what causes dreams. It also teaches a great lesson for children to believe in themselves like Littlest-One did. ( )
  mferaci | Apr 22, 2015 |
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
--William Shakespeare
"The Tempest" Act 4, Scene 1
For Nadine
An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:43 -0400)

While learning to bestow dreams, a young dream giver tries to save an eight-year-old boy from the effects of both his abusive past and the nightmares inflicted on him by the frightening Sinisteeds.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,918,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible