Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Gossamer (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2006), Hardcover, 144 pages

Gossamer by Lois Lowry (2006)

Gossamer is a modern fairy tale about a boy, John, who is taken in by a kind old lady via the foster care system. Throughout the story it is revealed his reason for being rather rough and rude is due to the influence of an abusive father and vulnerable mother. These experiences also make John vulnerable-but in his case, he becomes vulnerable to mythical creatures known as Sinisteeds. It is up to a small dream-giver named Littlest-One to save the day by giving John the strength through good dreams to handle the evil found in both his nightmares and everyday life.

This novel is so important as it reaches out and acknowledges the topics we as adults are all too afraid to talk to kids about. We tend to shelter and protect kids from knowing too soon the evils of the world, yet in doing so fail to acknowledge that some of those not only know, but have to face such abuse every day. There is a huge problem with this sort of method. It is very common for anyone being abused to believe they are to blame. It is even worse for a child who never knows any different. They absorb their surroundings and learns from their parents. If they are told they are dumb and are punished for their very innocent actions, they probably won't know to go tell a trusted adult- they might not even realize the danger they are in. This is why we need to teach children more about the realities of the world. We need to let them know they are not alone. ( )
  Jacki_H | Sep 22, 2016 |
I loved the journey Lowry took us on. The multiple points of views better enabled us as the reader to see character development. However, I would put out that disclaimer of the changing points of view to new readers of Gossamer, as without it, I probably would have gotten lost. It has incredibly realistic and dark moments that have the potential to hit home for some children, but because it is a reality that some face, we must introduce it - like racism or the holocaust. Just because it doesn't happen to us, doesn't mean we shouldn't show it. While I can say I did not have John's experience, I have had my fair share of emotional, psychological, and verbal abuse from parental figures and can understand his behavior. This book is important because it shows that all we need are bits of happiness and good dreams. ( )
  rparks | Sep 22, 2016 |
"Gossamer" by Lois Lowry is an incredibly meaningful and imaginative book. In this story, we follow many different characters including the dream-givers and the people they give dreams to. Some of the main characters include a little boy named John and the elderly woman who takes him into her home. The reader learns a lot about John and the tough situations he's been through that he still hasn't come to terms with. When reading about the hardships he's been through, it made me quite emotional in a way that I haven't felt about a book in a long time. Throughout the book though, John shows to grow as a person in a positive way from the impact of being around the dream-givers and the elderly woman. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to readers nine years old and older considering the sensitive topics brought up in the book. ( )
  goreyes | Sep 22, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this novel, and it is my favorite that I have read by far this semester. It made my imagination run wild. In "Gossamer" we follow the story of dream-givers, and we also follow the story of the people they are giving dreams to. We learn a lot about a little boy named John and all of the hardships in his life. This story gave me a lot of mixed emotions. It was really fun to imagine what the dream-giver creatures were like. It was a very emotional story, especially hearing about John's life at home. John definitely grows in this story, becoming a better person with the help of the dream-givers and the elderly woman who takes him in. I think this is a good book for children to expand their imagination. Although, I think some parts of the book are very blunt and raw for young ones. Overall, I absolutely loved this book, it was a great story and I really enjoyed it. ( )
  bethanygc | Sep 22, 2016 |
This was a sweet book that gave you an idea of where dreams come from. I like how this is a fantasy book but she gives an insight on the real world. This book was touching and very well written. I felt bad for the little boy because I would hate for any kid to go through what he went through with his father. It really touched me. ( )
  knbenson6584 | Sep 22, 2016 |
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
--William Shakespeare
"The Tempest" Act 4, Scene 1
For Nadine
An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:43 -0400)

While learning to bestow dreams, a young dream giver tries to save an eight-year-old boy from the effects of both his abusive past and the nightmares inflicted on him by the frightening Sinisteeds.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,786,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible