Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Gossamer (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lois Lowry

Member:booksandwine
Title:Gossamer
Authors:Lois Lowry
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2006), Hardcover, 144 pages

Gossamer by Lois Lowry (2006)

The Gossamer by Louis Lowry is a bueatiful written novel, with strong themes that tie in family problems. The gossamer takes place in a world like ours, but in this world there are dream givers and sinisters. These dream givers bistrow dreams to us and help us realize potentional in our life and how we can change it. I really enjoyed this novel. I think its perfect for a classroom read or just to recommend to a student who needs a little pick me up. Louis Lowry once agian, ended the book in a cliff hanger, but this time it was enough and I could imagine the ending for myself. ( )
  jaelynculliford | Sep 23, 2014 |
The story was a bit far fetched but it gave explaination to things you can't really explain. The author used imagary to paint the pictures of the characters. It would be fun for children and a easy read for a class. ( )
  jforrest21 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Littlest One is learning how to become a dream giver. Littlest One is assigned with Thin Elderly so he can teach her the responsibilities of being a dream-giver. They get assigned to the house of this isolated old lady who is taking the responsibility of taking care of a boy named John. When they get back to the Heap, Most Ancient warns them that the Sinisteeds are attacking and looking for a particular victim. Sinisteeds inflict something called nightmares. When Littlest One and Thin Elderly go back to their assigned house they find a Sinisteed. The helpless boy was sleeping but began to cry in his sleep from what this creature had done to him. Littlest One and Thin Elderly have to protect this house and stop the Sinisteeds from letting there nightmares affect the little boy. Littlest One began to learn more about how to him bring John courage, strength, and happiness through his dreams to overcome the Sinisteeds because they find out John is the victim they were searching for. The night all the Sinisteeds come to attack the house they are hoping their good dreams are enough to defeat the Sinisteeds. As the boy sleeps you can see the good dreams overcoming the nightmares. Littlest and Thin Elderly have won the battle in this house. You can see how much Littlest One has grown since she has first started. Littlest is now ready to go out on her own. This novel brings imagination to life. It gave me a sense of realism with everything that is happening. It even made me feel that dream givers exist even if they don't. I really loved this book. ( )
  lruano | Sep 21, 2014 |
In Gossamer, Lowry tiptoes between fantasy and reality. Lowry uses fairly like dream givers to deliver dreams to people in need. The dream givers bestow happy dreams to cheer up John, the orphan boy and the lonely elderly lady, who takes care of him. Thin elderly teaches Littlest One, a dream giver, how to bestow dreams with a very delicate touch. During the story the Sinisteeds, nightmare dream givers, try to bestow dreams on John and the elderly lady. Littlest One and Thin elderly gathers happy thoughts to bestow on them to fight off the nightmares. The were successful and now Littlest One has proven herself. Littlest One is given a new name Goassamer. ( )
  epoche | Sep 18, 2014 |
This fictional book gives a lot of insight on the magical creatures who bestow dreams upon the angry boy named John, John's mother, John's caretaker, and other minor characters in the story. John struggles with the violent past of his alcohol deprived father and his weak, insecure mother. Gossamer, a dream giver, has many struggles as a young beginner but eventually realizes his special gift in bestowing dreams. Lowry creates imagery and purpose through detailed text; she makes us feel as if we are there! We see angry and loneliness among characters until Gossamer and his mentor, Thin Elderly, team up to embark on an inspiring dream giving experience. I would recommend this to middle school grade levels and older; any student younger than middle school will most likely be lost. ( )
  Raquelb | Sep 16, 2014 |
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on;
and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
--William Shakespeare
"The Tempest" Act 4, Scene 1
For Nadine
An owl called, its shuddering hoots repeating mournfully in the distance.

Littlest One is a tiny creature slowly learning her job of giving dreams to humans. Each night she and her teacher, Thin Elderly, visit an old woman’s home where she softly touches beloved objects, gathering happy memories, and drops of old scents and sounds. Littlest One pieces these bits together and presents them to her sleeping human in the form of pleasant dreams. But the dreaded Sinisteeds, dark fearsome creatures that plague their victims with nightmares, are always at work against the dreamgivers. When the old woman takes in John, an angry foster child with a troubled past, the Sinisteeds go after him with their horrifying nightmares. Can Littlest One, and her touch light as gossamer, protect John’s heart and soul from the nightmare of his dark past?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:09 -0400)

While learning to bestow dreams, a young dream giver tries to save an eight-year-old boy from the effects of both his abusive past and the nightmares inflicted on him by the frightening Sinisteeds.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible