The Sense of an Ending (Borzoi Books) by…

The Sense of an Ending (Borzoi Books) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Julian Barnes

4,2273401,176 (3.85)1 / 533
Member:martitia
Title:The Sense of an Ending (Borzoi Books)
Authors:Julian Barnes
Info:Knopf (2011), Hardcover, 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Critical Mass, memory, perception, loss, use of language, Booker Award

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes (2011)

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (Laura400)
    The Sea, the Sea by Iris Murdoch (Queenofcups)
    Queenofcups: I found myself thinking of Murdoch's The Sea, The Sea as I read this book. There is some affinity in theme and story. Murdoch is expansive, where Barnes is elegant and economical. It won the Booker in 1978, and it's well worth another look.
    On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan (Cariola)
    Cariola: Another brief but powerful novel that explores how our perceptions vary and memories change over time, as well as regrets over lost oppotunities. McEwan is, like Barnes, a master of words and character development. On Chesil Beach made the Booker short list in 2007--and should have won!… (more)
    The Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe (freddlerabbit)
    A Partisan's Daughter by Louis de Bernières (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Intelligently written account of an old guy reminiscing, with the added bonus in this case of an education in Balkan history along the way
    The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford (AlexBr)
    AlexBr: If you like unreliable narrators.
    The Newton Letter by John Banville (StevenTX)
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (kara.shamy)
    The Sea by John Banville (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Men looking back on their youth, similar issues with memories. Both beautiful reads.
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (yokai)

English (307)  Dutch (11)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  French (3)  Norwegian (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (340)
This book felt like something I was just plodding through, the endless self analysis of the characters felt rather tedious. Then I got to the end and wondered--WHAT!?? What was really going on? What did it all mean? I had to go read some interpretations of the twist to see what might have been the real story that was going on behind all the self analysis by Tony, the narrator, who it turns out may have just been a dolt who didn't really ever figure out what was really going on in his life. A slog of a read, but it will make you think afterwards and it would be great for discussion groups because you do want to compare notes with others to see if you can figure out the real story behind Tony's distorted narrative. ( )
  debs4jc | Sep 10, 2014 |
Masterful. Hard to put down.

Also, wtf.

Also, if I were Tony, it would be all I could manage not to write (or at least not to send) an email that read, "OOOOOOOOOOOooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh."

Also, the memory stuff was really interesting; yet another reminder of just how faulty our memories are. It made me think of another book that dealt with a similar subject, the weird ways we remember, or don't remember, or misremember things. Ironically, I can't remember what book I'm thinking of. (Maybe Atonement?) ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
The Sense of an Ending is a book about ideas rather than story, and it is very good.

The book is short, at 163 pages, and is told in two parts. The first part is about Tony Webster's youth: the story of school, his friends, and his first serious girlfriend. Part two finds Tony in his early 60s, amicably divorced and generally content, when he is confronted with the consequences of a youth he thought he understood.

Really the book is about memory. Tony's recollections come in to question as he is confronted with his past as it is perceived by others. We all know that history is tainted because it is largely told by the victors. The version of American history we learned in school is very different than the version that would be told by the ancestors of the Native Americans. But is the same true for our personal history? The events that we recall that make up the story of our lives; are they really just our own perception of that story? And could we be completely wrong?

This book reminded me of a quote from a movie I loved: The Big Chill. Michael (Jeff Goldblum) says "I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex". Sam: "Nothing's more important than sex." Michael: "Oh yeah? Ever gone a week without a rationalization?"

The Sense of and Ending is a very good read for those who enjoy the occasional philosophical introspection. If you prefer action, look elsewhere. ( )
1 vote richard.thurman | Aug 29, 2014 |
Een prachtig boek, relatief dun maar met veel inhoud. Een man van boven de 60 kijkt terug op zijn studententijd. Zijn herinneringen komen op gang door een erfenis die hij krijgt. Hij ziet een brief van zichzelf terug aan een goede vriend en vriendin, vol kwade gedachten. Hij gaat op zoek naar het leven van de vriendin, Veronica, die een relatie heeft gehad met die vriend, Adrian. Veronica wil niets van hem weten en zegt steeds opnieuw dat hij (Tony) er niets van begrijpt en het ook nooit zal snappen. Met veel zelfrelativering komt Tony uiteindelijk er toch achter wat er nou eigenlijk is gebeurd. Heel knap geschreven, fijn om te lezen. ( )
  elsmvst | Aug 9, 2014 |
I liked this story of how one's past can be very different from how one remembers it, and how we never know all the facts. Barnes has an especial talent for describing how we think in youth versus age. The story gradually reveals memories and details until the reader has a more complete story, but even at the end we are left with more questions than answers, and I know this is intentional. The point is that we never have all the answers; we just muddle through on the information we have and sometimes revise our memories so that we can live with them.

I think I liked Arthur & George better, although it's hard to compare the two very different stories. I think The Sense of an Ending is one that will stay with me for a while, as I ponder all the details and potential meanings and events. A couple of passages I particularly liked were early in the book:

In those days, we imagined ourselves as being kept in some kind of holding pen, waiting to be released into our lives. And when that moment came, our lives--and time itself--would speed up. How were we to know that our lives had in any case begun, that some advantage had already been gained, some damage already inflicted? Also that our release would only be into a larger holding pen, whose boundaries would at first be undiscernable.

__

This was another of our fears, that Life wouldn't turn out to be like Literature. Look at our parents--were they the stuff of Literature? At best, they might aspire to the condition of onlookers and bystanders, part of a social backdrop against which real, true, important things could happen. Like what? The things Literature was all about: love, sex, morality, friendship, happiness, suffering, betrayal, adultery, good and evil, heroes and villains, guilt and innocence, ambition, power, justice, revolution, war, fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, the individual against society, success and failure, murder, suicide, death, God. And barn owls. Of course, there were other sorts of literature--theoretical, self-referential, lachrymosely autobiographical--but they were just dry wanks. Real literature was about psychological, emotional and social truth as demonstrated by the actions and reflections of its protagonists; the novel was about character developed over time.

The funny thing is that the character of Tony thinks his life is dull and "average," but this simple tale includes many of the elements he lists as important to literature and thus life. It is sometimes hard for us to see the grand themes as we are living our lives, but often they are there, perhaps more subtle and drawn-out than in literature, but present nonetheless...

I'm interested to read more of Barnes's work because he seems to be versatile and inventive. ( )
  glade1 | Jul 31, 2014 |
By now, The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes has gained itself a reputation for being the novel you must read twice.....

Nearly every paragraph in this book has multiple interpretations. Once all the questions are answered, the reader is left in the same state that Tony is in the book’s final pages—floored at life’s essential mysteries, and frustrated that they cannot be relived. Fortunately for us, we can just read the book again.
added by Nickelini | editForbes, Geoff Mak (Mar 29, 2012)

Barnes' work is one in which, event-wise, not a whole lot happens. Unless we’re talking about the events of the brain and the tricks of time and memory. If that's the case, then Barnes has impressively condensed an undertaking of biblical proportions into a mere 163 pages.
added by WeeklyAlibi | editWeekly Alibi, Sam Adams (Nov 10, 2011)

Deservedly longlisted for the Man Booker prize, this is a very fine book, skilfully plotted, boldly conceived, full of bleak insight into the questions of ageing and memory, and producing a very real kick – or peripeteia – at its end. As Kermode wrote: "At some very low level we all share certain fictions about time, and they testify to the continuity of what is called human nature…" Barnes has achieved, in this shortish account of a not very attractive man, something of universal importance.

As ever, Barnes excels at colouring everyday reality with his narrator's unique subjectivity, without sacrificing any of its vivid precision: only he could invest a discussion about hand-cut chips in a gastropub with so much wry poignancy.

A man's closest-held beliefs about a friend, former lover and himself are undone in a subtly devastating novella from Barnes. It's an intense exploration of how we write our own histories and how our actions in moments of anger can have consequences that stretch across decades. The novel's narrator, Anthony, is in late middle age, and recalling friendships from adolescence and early adulthood. What at first seems like a polite meditation on childhood and memory leaves the reader asking difficult questions about how often we strive to paint ourselves in the best possible light.
added by kthomp25 | editKirkus Reviews. (Nov. 1, 2011)

Barnes, Julianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gombau i Arnau, AlexandreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hörmark, MatsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Pat
I remember, in no particular order:
   -a shiny inner wrist;
   -steam rising from a wet sink as a hot frying pan is laughingly tossed into it;
   -gouts of sperm circling a plughole, before being sluiced down the full length of a tall house;
   -a river rushing nonsensically upstream, its wave and wash lit by half a dozen chasing torchbeams;
   -another river, broad and grey, the direction of its flow disguised by a stiff wind exciting the surface;
   -bathwater long gone cold behind a locked door.
"We could start perhaps with the seemingly simple question. What is History? Any thoughts, Webster?
'History is the lies of the victors,' I replied a little too quickly.'
Yes, I was rather afraid you'd say that. Well as long as you remember that it is also the self-delusions of the defeated...' (p. 25, large print ed.)

By an acclaimed writer at the height of his powers, The Sense of an Ending extends a streak of extraordinary books that began with the best-selling Arthur & George and continued with Nothing to Be Frightened Of and, most recently, Pulse.

This intense new novel follows a middle-aged man as he contends with a past he has never much thought about—until his closest childhood friends return with a vengeance, one of them from the grave, another maddeningly present. Tony Webster thought he’d left all this behind as he built a life for himself, and by now his marriage and family and career have fallen into an amicable divorce and retirement. But he is then presented with a mysterious legacy that obliges him to reconsider a variety of things he thought he’d understood all along, and to revise his estimation of his own nature and place in the world.

A novel so compelling that it begs to be read in a single sitting, with stunning psychological and emotional depth and sophistication, The Sense of an Ending is a brilliant new chapter in Julian Barnes’s oeuvre. .
Middle-age memories
of times past, both good and bad.
What is the meaning?
(sushitori)

This intense new novel follows a middle-aged man as he contends with a past he has never much thought about until his oldest friends return with a vengeance, one of them from the grave another maddeningly present. Tony Webster thought he'd left all of this behind as he built a life for himself, and by now his marriage and family and career have fallen into an amicable divorce and retirement. but he is then presented with a mysterious legacy that obliges him to reconsider various things, and to revise his estimation of his own nature and his place in the world.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible