Sorgens ild by Jerker Eriksson
Member:mai-britt
Title:Sorgens ild
Authors:Jerker Eriksson
Other authors:Karen Abrahamsen, Håkan Sundquist
Info:Lindhardt og Ringhof : [sælges på internettet], 2011.

Hungerelden by Jerker Eriksson

English (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (3)
I have not much to say about this volume, other than that it continues the story begun in volume one, and that it does so by driving up the tempo. More corpses turn up; Kihlberg’s team gather more clues as to the killer’s identity (identities?); Jeanette’s marriage slides further down the drain; and Sofia’s grip on her psyche continues to destabilize. There’s gore and pedophilia networks aplenty, but neither feels forced or overused.

This second instalment, I think, is an improvement over the first: it’s better paced and more streamlined, with less ballast: all the main characters and the relationship of their plotlines with all the others have at this point been established, and now Eriksson and Axlander Sundquist can get on with the main business of developing them and having them carve their way towards the central mystery. The focus on psychology and psychotherapy is still a plus, since that is not an angle taken by many crime authors.

On the other hand, a few author tics became more noticeable for me. One is the ostentatiousness of the political correctness: the authors regularly have one-dimensional side characters utter misogynist lines (e.g. indicating that a female inspector ought to focus on looking after her family) or make xenophobic decisions (e.g. allocating to a high-profile murder of a wealthy ethnic Swede ten times the funding of a case of multiple murders of illegal immigrant children) just so one of the good guys can point out that that is not ok. Feminism, as a tool to make the (male) authors look good, isn’t. Second, various descriptive passages tend towards over-writing, and at times it’s also painfully obvious that the authors try too hard to include “hip” places and extremely detailed route descriptions in an effort to engage local readers (i.e. Stockholmers).

In all, though, my complaints are about the authors (and their characters) trying to sound cool or like a decent human being and overshooting their goal. That’s an error of judgement, a tonal problem, and much of the rest -- plotting, pacing, characterization (for the MCs at least) -- is basically sound. Crime thrillers dealing with semi-organized toddler rape don’t put me off, and this trilogy appears to be gaining focus and speed, so I’m happy to see what else Eriksson and Axlander Sundquist want to throw at me. Whether or not I recommend the series as a whole I’ll have to decide once I’ve finished the final volume --which I’ve already started. ( )
  Petroglyph | Aug 8, 2014 |
This trilogy really is unique in it's genre, it's disturbing yet very intriguing. The second part (this book) was in someways better than the first; a lot of things that didn't feel important in the first book starts to make sense, and connect with things in this book. Everything starts to fall in place, like puzzle bites. There really was just one thing that made this book less enjoyable to read for me. How do I put this? The main character Viktoria Bergman has multiple personality disorder and her current "outer" persona is Sofia. Sofia is trying to figure Viktoria out, and the whole thing seems to make the character confused. I don't know it that's the reason, but a lot of the time the writing felt as confusing to me as the thoughts of the character. I had to reread a lot of the paragraphs, because I couldn't follow the story. This was though mainly the parts where Viktoria and Sofia are connected. Also, I was delighted to see the cliffhanger at the end - I hadn't expected they could surprise me that close to the end. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 29, 2013 |

Jerker Erikssonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Axlander Sundquist, HåkanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Information from the Danish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,250,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible