If I Were President by Catherine Stier

If I Were President

by Catherine Stier

This book is such a great read when trying to explain to kids that being a president does not mean getting to do whatever they want, but that there are rules and guidelines that come along with it. ( )
  danimeineke | Nov 4, 2016 |
Lesson: How Do Leaders Help Their Communities?
  ccsdss | Feb 26, 2016 |
I appreciate the value of this book because it was made to inspire children to dream and pursue the highest office in the nation. As different characters of different ethnic backgrounds explain their lives as the President of the United States, the reader is shown the factual information of the White house, such as its address, and the responsibilities of the President of the U.S., like meeting leaders of other nations. Basically, I enjoyed reading this book because it portrays the responsibilities of the President of the United States in a way that is comfortable to swallow for young readers. I enjoyed it further because the duties of the President were presented in an unbiased manner. ( )
  Amy_Ko | Dec 2, 2015 |
The purpose of this book is to inform readers about the president. At a young age, children think that being president would mean that they could do whatever they want and be in charge of everyone. However, through this book, the readers see that this is not the case. They learn that there are a lot of responsibilities that come with being president.

I liked this book for two reasons. First, I liked how the author had the book written in the point of view of children. There is one boy and one girl who explains what they would do if they were president. Having the first person point of view helps the reader see the two characters as equals. It's like the characters are explaining everything to a friend. The book is casual, yet explains a lot of information.

Another reason why I like this book is because of the illustrations. The pictures are whimsical. Since the target age is for the younger readers, they make all the information fun to read about. This topic can easily bore readers, but the reader used pictures to make it entertaining. ( )
  epark6 | Oct 16, 2014 |
I liked this book for a couple reasons. First, I appreciated the point of view of “If I Were President.” The first person point of view of children telling this story makes it easy for readers to get immersed into the book. Not only does it tell the story in first person, but the content of the story includes information in a fun, personal way. For example, “If I were president, my words and picture would appear in newspapers and magazines all over the world. Even my dog would make headlines!” The story also provides informational facts about the president, such as, “Then I'd move to a mansion called the White House, with more than one hundred rooms.” Young children often dream about what they want to be when they are older. I liked how this book picked a well-known and big job, so that readers can essentially “dream bigger.” I also loved how this book made sure to include the responsibilities that came with a career. An example is, “If I were president, the people would be my boss, and I'd have to find out what they wanted. It wouldn't be easy – different people would want different things.” I think this book does an incredible job in sharing the joys, responsibilities, and realities of careers. The big idea of this “If I Were President.” is that it informs readers the responsibilities of being the president of the United States, and inspires the audience to have big dreams as well. ( )
  yyoon4 | Oct 16, 2014 |

A multicultural cast of children imagines what is would be like to be president.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:13 -0400)

A simple description of the duties, responsibilities, and traditions of the office of president.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible