Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Religião para Ateus (Portuguese Edition) by…

Religião para Ateus (Portuguese Edition) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Alain De Botton (Author)

Member:flaviosc
Title:Religião para Ateus (Portuguese Edition)
Authors:Alain De Botton (Author)
Info:Intrínseca (2012), 330 pages
Tags:*Religião#

Religion for Atheists: A Non-Believer's Guide to the Uses of Religion by Alain de Botton (2012)

English (25)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (28)
Religion > Religion > Religion
  FHQuakers | Feb 13, 2018 |
I have put off writing this review for quite some time as I've been resisting outing the thoughts I have in my head regarding religion. I know, I was pretty candid when reviewing The Varieties of Scientific Experience, and very outspoken when reviewing Butler's Parables. But something about how I felt about this book just seemed much more personal.

The premise of this book is simple (if emotionally loaded). Atheists, when rejecting religion, tend to reject all the trappings and buildings and holidays and ceremonies as well. But de Botton urges us to take another look. Very few of these things have a direct relationship to the miraculous supernatural that atheists turn their noses up at. And those ceremonies have evolved over hundreds, maybe thousands of years of human history, to appeal to parts of our psyche, to make us feel less alone, to encourage community, humility, giving us ways to acknowledge our shortcomings... Why should we give all those things up? And how can we recreate them without appealing to gods to do the heavy lifting?

As always, I enjoy de Botton's writing style, thought it seems like there is a section in every book that makes me grind my teeth. In this book it was a section on the useful applications of the doctrine of original sin. But overall, I am very sympathetic to his position. I want shrines to generosity, altars of loneliness. I want the experience of singing hymns together without having to sing theology that I don't believe in. But then, even de Botton admires the function of congregations to create community between people from different walks of life. What if we could somehow transform the nature of those congregations so that they could unite people of different faiths as well? So that Christians, Jews, atheists, Buddhists, etc., could come together, learn more about each other, and be united by their common humanity?

Yes, this is Nikki Giovanni's vision from "Quilting the Black-Eyed Pea," and I am well aware of the theological objections to "cafeteria spirituality." At this moment, though, after reading this book, the idea makes me happy. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Another wonderfully written and useful book by my favourite philosopher. ( )
  flydodofly | Jun 6, 2016 |
This book was a struggle. While I do think there are practices and philosophies we, as a secular society, can use that have been established by religions Alain de Botton's approach is really to create a religion without the God. As an atheist I really felt he missed the mark. I don't feel the need for really any of the methods or practices this book suggests. I guess I was expecting more of an idea of how we could adopt things like Christmas / Easter / etc into society and with these practices foster a sense of community without the religious nonsense that currently accompanies them. In much the same way as the early church took over the pagan midwinter and spring festivals that preceded them to begin with ( only now we would be free of the superstitions that created in our ancestors the need to light a bonfire on the darkest night of the year to bring the sun back).
I just got the general sense that de Botton just completely failed to understand atheism ( at least as I feel about it). ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Food for thought but not much else. The main problem of the book is its absurdity. An atheist will have no clear use of this book in spite of its title because while it explores the benefits of religion it does so on society at large and its proposals are ludicrous and surreal. It does nothing on a personal level other than wishful thinking. It brings up some theoretical benefits of religion and then tells you the way for an atheist to obtain them is to live in a different world—useless. Its scope is narrow and its wordiness wide. If anything can be salvaged from this book is its listing of religious benefits, albeit with little or no proof and certainly not comprehensive, so that we can figure out a way to incorporate them into our secular lives, ignoring the book’s ludicrous suggestions. I have to stop at page 100 just before the IV chapter because I can’t take it anymore, the book rambles more about how “I hate this society” and anti-libertarianism that it talks about “religion and how it can be useful for atheists” which I naively thought it would be about. ( )
1 vote JorgeCarvajal | Feb 13, 2015 |
"…Religion for Atheists might be said to be our default state. We even have a name for it: we call it the Church of England. De Botton’s inspiring book manages to condemn this compromise while offering a glimpse of a more enlightened path."

"One wonders how this impeccably liberal author would react to being told that free speech and civil rights were all bunkum, but that they had their social uses and so shouldn't be knocked. Perhaps he might have the faintest sense of being patronised."
added by Edward | editThe Guardian, Terry Eagleton (Jan 12, 2012)

For Bertha von Büren
The most boring and unproductive question one can ask of any religion is whether or not it is true – in terms of being handed down from heaven to the sound of trumpets and supernaturally governed by prophets and celestial beings.

What if religions are neither all true nor all nonsense? The long-running and often boring debate between believers and non-believers is finally moved forward by Alain de Botton's inspiring book, which boldly argues that the supernatural claims of religion are entirely false--but that it still has some very important things to teach the secular world. Religion for Atheists suggests that rather than mocking religion, agnostics and atheists should instead steal from it--because the world's religions are packed with good ideas on how we might live and arrange our societies. Blending deep respect with total impiety, de Botton (a non-believer himself) proposes that we look to religion for insights into how to, among other concerns, build a sense of community, make our relationships last, overcome feelings of envy and inadequacy, inspire travel and reconnect with the natural world.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible