Dream Lake (Friday Harbor) by Lisa Kleypas

Dream Lake (Friday Harbor) (edition 2013)

by Lisa Kleypas (Author)

Member:JanArzooman
Title:Dream Lake (Friday Harbor)
Authors:Lisa Kleypas (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2013), Edition: Reprint, 339 pages

Dream Lake (Friday Harbor) by Lisa Kleypas

Dream Lake
4.5 Stars

A simply wonderful story with engaging characters and some truly heart-breaking moments.

Several reviewers dislike the inclusion of a ghost in the book, however, as a fan of ghosts and ghost stories, not only did this not bother me in the slightest but it added an extra layer of meaning to both the primary and secondary romances. Another enjoyable aspect of the plot are the allusions to Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook and the film Simply Irresistible - both of which make my list of all time favorite romance movies.

While the first two installments in the series are fun reads, neither managed to knock my socks off. Dream Lake, in contrast, hit all the right buttons from the ghost's heart wrenching story of love lost and found to the tortured hero in need of love and redemption.

Alex is a damaged man with a tortured past and a difficult lifestyle. He has steeled himself against loving and being loved but his softer side is slowly revealed through his relationship with the ghost and the parallels in their back stories as well as in his almost palpable passion for Zoe.

Zoe is a sweet and gentle heroine, the exact counterpoint to Alex's hardness, which makes their intense chemistry and emotional bond even stronger.

Highly recommended for fans of Lisa Kleypas and those in need of a sweet and charming story. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
-Re-Introduction to an Enthralling Series-
I've read this author's work several times before, but it's been a while. The re-introduction to me reading her novels was through the Dream Lake novel in the Friday Harbor series. Alex was a tortured hero (believably so), and he and Tom's rapport was often entertaining and unexpectedly heartfelt. Dream Lake touches on Alex's battle in fighting off addiction and masterfully takes the reader through his recovery whirlwind in a convincing and affectionate manner. Zoe had a heart of gold-perfect match to Alex's frosty nature. She cares for her ailing grandmother and gained my respect for her strength in dealing with her passive-aggressive father. Readers will appreciate Dream Lake for the exceptional characters, minor and major, and most of all-for the humanity written into this lovely novel of love lost, love gained, and lasting love. - Laurie - bookescapereviews.wordpress.com ( )
  LaurieKozlowski | Sep 16, 2016 |
[‎Saturday, ‎August ‎04, ‎2012] Now that I'm done with Rainshadow Road, I really want to see Alex fall in love, and none other then Zoe -Betty Boo- the amazing cook and Lucy's friend. Can't wait to get the book this month.

[Friday, ‎November ‎09, ‎2012] I started reading the book yesterday and again... I'm deeply in LOVE with Lisa Klepas's world!! This woman knows how to write... I LOVE her style. And Dream Lake is so close to a story I'm living right now, I was shocked to read some stuff, it was like re-watching a scene I lived.

Since I was introduced to grandma Emma, I knew that the guy she wanted to dance with was the ghost, the fun part is to see how would the story unfold. All through the story I imagined Zoe looking like Scarlett Johansson and Alex like Richard Armitage. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Since I was introduced to grandma Emma, I knew that the guy she wanted to dance with was the ghost, the fun part is to see how would the story unfold. All through the story I imagined Zoe looking like Scarlett Johansson and Alex like Richard Armitage.” ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Zoe is a very attractive and talented baker, who's had a hard time with guys and is very wary. Alex is an arrogant, aggressive guy who drinks too much. Alex is also a talented builder, and is employed to work on an old cottage which Zoe and her elderly grandmother are going to move into. Perhaps predictably, there's a very strong attraction between Alex and Zoe, despite their apparent unsuitability.

Emma, the grandmother, is a very nicely done character... and I should also mention the Ghost, who appears right at the beginning of the story. He is confused about his past, and gradually discovers who he is, through the course of the book.

While I don't generally like paranormal stories, the ghost part of the book was a very enjoyable read. He is, ironically, the most realistic character in the novel. Unfortunately I didn't feel that either Alex or Zoe were consistent - Alex is a great deal nicer and more chivalrous than his reputation would suggest, and is particularly good with the elderly Emma. Zoe is more outgoing and confident than we are led to believe, too - quite pushy when it comes to Alex.

This is the third in a series of books about three brothers brought up in a somewhat dysfunctional home. It's not necessary to have read the earlier books - this one stands alone - but may make it more enjoyable, as there are quite a few minor characters who have little relevance to the plot. The writing is good, well-paced and interesting, and I would have given it four stars but for the crudity of much of the language used, and some unnecessarily detailed bedroom scenes towards the end. Little is left to the imagination - and the book is thus rendered unsuitable to recommend to several of my friends who might otherwise have enjoyed it.

Three and a half stars would be fairer. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cummings, JeffReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Alex Nolan is about as bitter and cynical as they come. One of three Nolan brothers who call Friday Harbor home, he’s nothing like Sam or Mark. They actually believe in love; they think the risk of pain is worth the chance of happiness. But Alex battles his demons with the help of a whiskey bottle, and he lives in his own private hell. And then, a ghost shows up. Only Alex can see him. Has Alex finally crossed over the threshold to insanity?

Zoë Hoffman is as gentle and romantic as they come. When she meets the startlingly gorgeous Alex Nolan, all her instincts tell her to run. Even Alex tells her to run. But something in him calls to Zoë, and she forces him to take a look at his life with a clear eye and to open his mind to the possibility that love isn’t for the foolish.

The ghost has been existing in the half-light of this world for decades. He doesn’t know who he is, or why he is stuck in the Nolans’ Victorian house. All he knows is that he loved a girl once. And Alex and Zoë hold the key to unlocking a mystery that keeps him trapped here.

Zoë and Alex are oil and water, fire and ice, sunshine and shadow. But sometimes it takes only a glimmer of light to chase away the dark, and sometimes love can reach beyond time, space, and reason to take hold of hearts that yearn for it....

In the exquisite setting of Friday Harbor, Zoe Hoffman, an innkeeper who has all but given up on love, is attracted to Alex Nolan, a bitter and cynical man battling his demons with the help of a whiskey bottle, until he is visited by a mysterious ghost who is stuck in the Nolans' Victorian house. All the ghost knows is that he loved a girl once. And Alex and Zoe hold the key to unlocking the mystery that keeps him trapped there.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,326,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible