Button Holed by Kylie Logan

Button Holed (edition 2012)

by Kylie Logan

Member:RobinBrz
Title:Button Holed
Authors:Kylie Logan
Info:Chivers (2012), Edition: Large type edition, Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Recently Read
Rating:***1/2

Button Holed by Kylie Logan

English (10)  Piratical (1)  All languages (11)
Josie Giancola is one of the country’s leading experts on antique, vintage and collectible buttons and has recently opened her own store in Chicago called, “The Button Box.” And as it turns out, Josie also finds herself in the midst of a murder investigation due to the death of one of her famous new clients in her store. The associated cast of characters includes next-door neighbor and retired cop, Stan; ex-husband Kaz; Estelle Marvin, successful cable host of a television crafts show; and Chicago Detective, Nevin Riley.

Perhaps because I’ve always been enthralled with the buttons that my grandmother, a dear girlfriend of my grandmother Marie, and my Mother have always had in various special boxes, I was intrigued by the subject of this new cozy mystery series. I definitely learned more about buttons as the novel progressed.

The mystery was a fun read and Josie seems like she would be a charming entrepreneur to meet. This may be Josie’s first murder investigation but I predict that her adventures will continue in the best spirit of sleuth/private investigator/detective characters.

I’d love to learn more about the author and her own connection with buttons to create this interesting new series. It’s truly one-of-a-kind in a very creative way! ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 16, 2017 |
Nice setup for the series. Josie is a fanatic about only one thing -- buttons. She will do anything to learn all she can about them, no matter the risk. Even if it involves a murder in her nice, new, barely broken in shop. ( )
  bgknighton | Sep 6, 2016 |
A cozy mystery centered around a newly opened button shop in Chicago. Though the shop is new, its owner, Josie Giancola has a thriving online business and some entertainment connections. One of those has referred prominent actress Kate Franciscus to her to find buttons for a wedding gown.

I liked Josie's character though I didn't see the button expert aspect of her personality developed in this book. I liked that she saw through her ex's stories and called him out on those but didn't like that she seemed to lack the conviction to not give in to him. I found his character annoying and intrusive. Josie also seems willing to close her shop at the drop of a hat which makes me wonder how she'll keep it in business throughout the series if she's often closing it during her posted business hours so that she can go solve mysteries that relate to buttons. (Also, as another reviewer commented, how many mysteries would center around unique/distinctive buttons in real life?)

I commiserated with Stan's character wanting to be useful but seeming to be sidelined at every turn--and appreciate that the author allowed something he uncovered to be a key point in solving the case--and that the detective who caught the case acknowledged that in the end.

I didn't guess the ending until it was revealed. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
Synopsis: Divorcé Josie Giancola owns an antique button shop and although she's just starting out, she seems to be developing growing clientele. Unfortunately, her highest profile client is found murdered in her shop. Josie's knowledge of buttons helps solve the case.
Review: This is a 'nice little mystery', much in the same tradition of Diana Mott Davidson, Elaine Viets, and Peggy Webb. ( )
  DrLed | Mar 3, 2014 |
Button Box owner Josie Giancola is shaken when she’s assaulted in her own shop, but that’s nothing compared to the arrival of her annoying ex-spouse on the scene. She’s in the midst of preparing for a visit by a famous actress and can’t afford distractions. However, when the celebrity turns up dead as a button on her shop floor, Josie resolves to find the killer. Could it be the lady’s fiancé, a royal prince, who learned of her affair? Or perhaps the jealous lover? Or maybe one of the diva’s assistants has a grudge to bear. Then again, what about the photographer who followed the actress around and appears to be more than he seems? There appears to be no shortage of suspects, which Josie is keen to discuss with handsome detective Nevin Riley. Can the two of them solve the murder and button up the case before someone else ends up dead? A cute amateur sleuth mystery with interesting tidbits about antique buttons. (Copyright Connie Laux) ( )
  NancyJCohen | Jan 5, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425243761, Mass Market Paperback)

Working out of her button shop in a Chicago brownstone, Josie Giancola has become one of the country's leading experts on buttons. Her reputation draws a Hollywood starlet to the Button Box to shop for one-of-a-kind buttons to adorn her made-to-order wedding gown.

But after the Button Box is ransacked and the actress murdered, Josie's cozy world is thrown into chaos-and a killer is out to keep Josie's lips buttoned up...permanently.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:31 -0400)

After Josie Giancola's shop, the Button Box, is ransacked and a customer is murdered, Josie finds she's also the target of a killer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,657,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible