Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2012), Hardcover, 384 pages

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

3.5 stars ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |
I have no idea if it is just me, but I felt strong undercurrents of "ism" in this book. Simply replace the word nosoul with black, Chinese, gay, etc. Ana is the Newsoul in heart, or the nosoul, depending on who is asked. She replaced someone and having had zero control over this; She is still hated, fiercely.

The people of heart remind me of certain of my own family members (distant family), who would never accept me were I certain things listed above. Some people completely shut down because as soon as they learn you are "Other" you are now an object to them, you don't matter.

These are the people of Heart. It is more than a little Ironic that a people Living in village called Heart possess such little compassion and caring. This book really made me think; It has been a while since that happened, I thank you [a:Jodi Meadows|4116488|Jodi Meadows|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1389713448p2/4116488.jpg]. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Mar 20, 2018 |
-- Want to know if the whole series is worth reading? Read my overall review of the whole series at seriesousbookreviews.com! Spoiler Free!

I felt like this book had no plot whatsoever--I literally just think time passed as Ana explored the new city and her relationship with Sam. But even then, I felt like nothing happened. The plot is so slow, I contemplated DNFing the book multiple times. Sure, there is a little bit of world-building to the story as the pages go by but I just wanted it to GO somewhere.

The romance is subdued and predictable--your typical young adult fodder.

Ana is duller than an unsharpened pencil if you ask me. Even being an outcast didn't help give her much of a personality. Part of the issue is that I understand why she is on the boring side: she is an outcast and has been raised her entire life to believe she is nothing. So it is fitting that she has a subdued personality. I just couldn't get behind her as a character.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p7hLUw-1sg
Actual Rating: 3/5
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
more reviews at: thegoddessofbooks.blogspot.com

I wouldn't be able to stand living in a place like Heart. The same people over and over again, forever? No, thanks. That said, I still think the concept is pretty cool: You never have to die. Of course, it would be awkward coming back as a guy when you were originally a girl, and vice versa. There was also that weird scene where Ana wakes up right after Sam rescues her and he's holding her, then when she kind of freaks out, he goes "I thought we knew each other." What?!? Just because you know someone doesn't mean it won't be uncomfortable and awkward for them to wake up to find your arms around them. At this point, I would have given this book three stars, but it had several redeeming factors: Ana is on a quest for knowledge and is at one point willing to kill for it; there were centaurs, sylphs, and dragons; and they fought the dragons with laser guns. Laser guns. Best. Thing. Ever! ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
The narrator's villains all oozed with squeaky condescension, and the story and world both felt underdeveloped, particularly, elements sprung up as needed making the reader feel ungrounded in the world. ( )
  LaPhenix | Jan 4, 2018 |
For my mom, who encouraged me to follow my dreams and never freaked out when I called and asked how to treat concussions, broken limbs, or second-degree burns
I wasn't reborn.

NEWSOUL

Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

NOSOUL

Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are suspicious and afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

HEART

Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life

After 5000 years of the same souls being reincarnated, Ana, a new soul, is born and on her eighteenth birthday sets off on a mission to learn the truth about her existence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,522,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible