The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's…

The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True (2011)

by Richard Dawkins, Dave McKean (Illustrator)

Newton at the Center by Joy Hakim (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books are about the process of science as well as the facts of science. Both are written for young adults but readily appreciated by fully mature adults.

B üyünün pek çok çeşidi var. Doğaüstü büyü, atalarımızın bilimsel yöntemi geliştirmeden önce dünyayı açıklamak için kullandıkları büyüdür. Eski Mısırlılar gecenin varlığını, tanrıça Nut'un güneşi yutmasıyla açıklamışlardı. Vikingler gökkuşağının, tanrıların dünyaya uzanan köprüsü olduğuna inanıyorlardı. Japonlar depremleri dünyayı sırtında taşıyan dev bir kedibalığının kuyruğunu sallamasıyla açıklıyorlardı. Bunlar büyü içeren, sıradışı masallar. Ama bir başka büyü türü daha var ve bu büyü bu sorulara gerçek cevaplar keşfederken yaşadığımız keyifte yatıyor. Bu sözünü ettiğim, gerçeğin büyüsü, yani bilim.Zeki düşünce deneyleri, göz kamaştıran resimler ve ağzınızı açık bırakacak gerçeklerle Gerçeğin Büyüsü şaşırtıcı derecede geniş bir yelpazedeki doğa olaylarını açıklıyor. Madde neden yapılmıştır? Evren kaç yaşındadır?

Tsunamilere neden olan şey nedir? Neden bu kadar çok çeşit bitki ve hayvan var? İlk kadın veya erkek kimdi? Bu kitap sadece bilimsel ipuçlarını bulup çıkarmakla kalmayan, okuyucuyu da bir bilimci gibi düşünmeye teşvik eden çarpıcı bir dedektiflik hikayesi.
  Cagatay | Jun 9, 2016 |
Five stars means, to me, everyone should read it. And yes, this book is clearly enough written for a bright 8 year-old & interesting enough to be shared by a mulit-generational family. It's full of enough information and very nifty pictures that I, evn though I have already read & studied a lot of science, am reading it word-for-word. I'm also buying it for my husband - he doesn't read much non-fiction because the genre still means 'textbook' to him, but he's always wondered 'so how do scientists know what they claim to know?'- this answers that in every chapter!

I'm recommending it to folks who didn't get all they needed from the much longer, and dated, [b:A Short History of Nearly Everything|21|A Short History of Nearly Everything|Bill Bryson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386925434s/21.jpg|2305997] (and imo that means everyone who read it or thinks they might some day). I'm also recommending it to teachers & voters & business-people & politicians & journalists....

Good science is not only important, it is awe-inspiringly magically beautiful. And it's all made clear by Dawkins' text and McKean's art.

My only quibble is that Dawkins often has to say things like 'beyond the scope of this book' but that he doesn't give guidance, as for instance an annotated bibliography, where an interested reader could go for more exploration. But then, maybe that's in the companion iPad app. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Excellent explanations of common scientific theories well written for the intended audience (8-14 year olds). As an adult with a decent understanding of science I sometimes found it a little over-explained and occasionally Dawkins repeats himself to make a point stick. Even so I found a great deal of value in the book and definitely took note of several sections which would help to explain scientific theories to others. The section on evolution was particularly well explained. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
The Magic of Reality is a science book for children. In this book, Richard Dawkins claims that the scientific world is full of what he calls ‘poetic magic'. He defines this as something “deeply moving, exhilarating: something that gives us goose bumps, something that makes us feel more fully alive.” Each chapter of the book focuses on a different area of science and begins with a question such as, “What are things made of?” or “Who was the first person?” or “When and how did everything begin?” Dawkins does an excellent job illustrating this magic in the world. From the tiniest subatomic particles right before my eyes, to galaxies unfathomable distances away, this book left me in awe of just about everything. The sheer magnitude of the universe, evolution, the structure of atoms—all of it is absolutely mind blowing. There were times I had to put the book down because contemplating the universe became too much. The book is also accompanied by beautiful illustrations weaving their way in and out of the text.

This book is its unapologetic attempt to convert children to atheism. Dawkins’s attitude towards those with religious beliefs is often arrogant and condescending. I would have enjoyed the book more if he had focused on his scientific arguments and refrained from belittling the opposition to prove his point.
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Like "What If," this book answers those burning questions you've always had using scientific explanations. In this book, students will enjoy the unbelievable facts as well as the little experiments Richard Dawkins employs to explain concepts. Thinking like a scientist, students will discover what makes the world really tick.
  Melina_Hiatt_Easter | Jul 16, 2015 |
as Richard Dawkins confirms again and again in this book – his first for "a family audience" – science composes stories as thrilling as Homer, as profound as Job, and as entertaining as anything by Kipling.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Tim Radford (Sep 21, 2011)

Richard Dawkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Clinton John Dawkins
1915-2010
O, my beloved father
Reality is everything that exists.

The author of "The God delusion" addresses key scientific questions previously explained by rich mythologies, from the evolution of the first humans and the life cycle of stars to the principles of a rainbow and the origins of the universe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,589,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible