Newton and Gravity by Paul Strathern

Newton and Gravity

by Paul Strathern

Series: The Big Idea

The great virtue of this book is its brevity. It hits the high points...but is a bit too facile with its psychology. ( )
  themulhern | Jul 31, 2013 |

A good case can be made for Isaac Newton being the finest mind humanity has yet produced. His theory of gravity offered his contemporaries their first glimpse of how the universe actually works, and his mathematics enabled later generations to walk on the moon. Today, we know that gravity keeps our feet on the ground, but how many of us know how Newton's greatest discovery really works? In Newton & Gravity, Paul Strathern encapsulates several of Newton's more mind-expanding discoveries, explaining in lively prose their cultural context as well as Newton's early obsession with science (bordering on dementia) that made his revolutionary vision possible. Just a few of the big ideas covered here are:

Newton's discovery of calculus at age twenty-three Why gravity, one of the greatest human insights of all time, was in fact a hunch and how it actually works Why it took Newton twenty years after his discovery to reveal to the world the secret of gravity and planetary motion

Ideal for the intelligent reader eager to better understand how and why the universe works the way it does, Newton & Gravity is a fascinating refresher course that makes physics not only fun but shockingly easy to understand.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

Newton is one of the most influential scientists the world has ever known. He changed the way we viewed the universe by showing how it really worked - developing the theory of gravity, the concept of light, force, and the way we calculate. Newton's 'big ideas' were to transform the way we viewed the world forver. Most of us had heard of the story of the apple falling from the tree, but how many of us know how the theory of gravity really works? Newton's discoveries have so pervaded our everyday view that it is hard to understand how revolutionary his ideas really were. NEWTON & GRAVITY presents a brilliant snapshot of Newton's life and work, together with their historical and scientific context, and gives a clear and accessible explanation of the meaning and importance of Newton's discoveries, and they way they have changed and influenced our own lives.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,362,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible