The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams

The Dragonbone Chair (1988)

by Tad Williams

Series: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (1)

4,462541,099 (3.96)1 / 198
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (igorken)
    igorken: I enjoyed a game of Thrones at 30 the way i enjoyed Dragonbone Chair at 16.
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (MissBrangwen)

English (49)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (1)  All (54)
I've been meaning to reread this series for a long time. With the reading slump I've been in lately I figured this was a good time to read it again, taking my time with it. I did take a long time with it. These books don't move very fast. A big part of that is due the excellent character development. Another part of it is that this series is just so hugely big. There's a lot going on here. It's all handled very well though. Recommended if you are a fan of epic fantasies. ( )
  Kassilem | Jul 18, 2017 |
Have definitely read this more than once the first time, but recently did a re-read for which I mostly used the e-book version (mobility ftw) and wanted to preserve my paperback copy as it is falling apart! Review of re-read is attached to ebook edition: here.

My initial rating is 4 stars - not sure why - but I really enjoyed re-reading it much more than I thought I would so it was bumped up to 5 stars. Hmm... ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
(Draft review, disclaimer: this is more of random fangirl-ing over the book than a review #sorrynotsorry, will do a proper review after I'm done with the re-read, yeah?)

#ReturnToOstenArd: Re-read this as part of a bookstagram group-read with Tange, Jacob & Nadine in anticipation of The Witchwood Crown coming out in June 2017!

Just finished re-reading this yesterday! It was awesome revisiting the trilogy after so long, as it is almost like exactly like catching up with a long lost friend! Simon and Binabik and Qantaca the whole slew of characters - vague recollections of goings ons - foreshadowing! Recalling how things early on are fodder for reflection later on in the book and trying to remember what happens next?! Yeah, it has been that long. Those last few chapters were epic!

I read this trilogy in almost one shot somewhere in the early 2000's (will check on that and update this later) and this particular volume more than once (because it was awhile before I got to Book 2 & 3 after finishing Book 1) - and now that I have read more fantasy since I last picked this up I can see a lot of elements that were either inspired by or that inspired other fantasy books. Then again - in fantasy a lot of it is usually just a personal reworking of existing elements - it's just whether you can make the whole thing mesh with your own brand of personalisation to make it stand out.

So anyhow - still one the best fantasy trilogies out there for me. I may be speaking from rose-colored fangirl sensibilities as this was part of my formative sff reading shelf (stuff I read before I read everything else).

Anyhow - really psyched when I found out that Tad Williams would be doing a new Osten Ard trilogy! Aiming to finish the group read by May (#crossesfingers) and then slide over to Heart of What Was Lost and Witchwood Crown in June...

Meanwhile - onwards to Stone of Farewell...!

First read: Early 2000's
Multiple re-reads after that.
Latest re-read: 1st May - 15th May
Editions: Paperback (bought used), E-Book (Google Play Store) ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
An impressively lyrical book, even if the story is somewhat standard. Not fast paced, but the author can paint a setting or describe events in a way that evokes illuminated pictures in your mind's eye and draw you effectively into the story.

The characters are well drawn and multilayered, with even the bad guys given depth and complexity.

Well worth the read, and I'll certainly continue on with the story. ( )
  majkia | May 11, 2017 |
soms wat verwarrend met al die lastige namen. ( )
  EdwinKort | Mar 23, 2017 |

Tad Williamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan,MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mother, Barbara Jean Evans, who taught to me a deep affection for Toad Hall, the Hundred Aker Woods, the Shire, and many other hidden places and countries beyond the fields we know. She also induced in me a lifelong desire to make my own discoveries, and to share them with others. I wish to share this book with her.
Author's Warning: Wanderers in the land of Osten Are are cautioned not to put blind trust in old rules and forms, and to observe all rituals with a careful eye, for they often mask being with seeming.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886773849, Mass Market Paperback)

A war fueled by the dark powers of sorcery is about to engulf the peaceful land of Osten Ard--for Prester John, the High King, slayer of the dread dragon Shurakai, lies dying. And with his death, an ancient evil will at last be unleashed, as the Storm King, undead ruler of the elvishlike Siti, seeks to regain his lost realm through a pact with one of human royal blood. Then, driven by spell-inspired jealousy and hate, prince will fight prince, while around them the very land begins to die.

Only a small scattered group, the League of the Scroll, recognizes the true danger awaiting Osten Ard. And to Simon--a castle scullion unknowingly apprenticed to a member of this League--will go the task of spearheading the quest for the solution to a riddle of long-lost swords of power...and a quest that will see him fleeing and facing enemies straight out of a legend-maker's worst nighmares!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:28 -0400)

In the peaceful land of Osten Ard, the good king is dying-and a long-dreaded evil is about to be unleashed. Only Simon, a young kitchen boy apprenticed to a secret order of wizards dedicated to halting the coming darkness, can solve the dangerous riddle that offers salvation to the land.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,487,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible