Something Old by Dianne Christner

Love is rarely plain and simple for Katy Yoder.

Book I (Plain City Bridesmaids series)
  Indiancreek | Nov 28, 2017 |
NCLA Review: Set in the Mennonite community, this novel is a quick read geared to a young adult audience. The lives of three young women who have been friends since childhood and are all members of a Conservation Mennonite church, are portrayed as they find their different paths in life. Katy Yoder, the main character, holds a very rigid view of the world and can be very judgmental of others who think and act differently from her. That includes her feelings toward the love of her life, Jake. As she grows and learns the true meaning of forgiveness, she is forced to examine her beliefs and cherished traditions. She finally understands that Christians are not all the same and only found in one denomination. There is a predictable ending, and romance and forgiveness are triumphant. Rating: 3 —AL ( )
  ncla | Feb 7, 2012 |
Here's a little secret. I typically cannot make it through Mennonite fiction. Y'all know I adore Amish fiction, but the mennonite ones don't grab me…I miss the buggies, the lack of electricity, the plainness that the Amish provide. With that said, this book had me from nearly the beginning (it didn't instantly grab me, but about a quarter of the way in I started loving it). The main character, Katy, had such an amazing transformation in this book. I loved her character development. She grew so m...moreHere's a little secret. I typically cannot make it through Mennonite fiction. Y'all know I adore Amish fiction, but the mennonite ones don't grab me…I miss the buggies, the lack of electricity, the plainness that the Amish provide. With that said, this book had me from nearly the beginning (it didn't instantly grab me, but about a quarter of the way in I started loving it). The main character, Katy, had such an amazing transformation in this book. I loved her character development. She grew so much and I felt like I was growing along with her. There were a few parts that were a little flat, but the book had such a great payoff in the end for me. ( )
  tillien | Jun 30, 2011 |

"Katy Yoder lives a simple, sheltered lifestyle ensconced in the traditions of the Conservative Mennonite church and holds a naive black-and-white world view. With her parents' approval, she moves in with a childhood friend. But after taking a temporary nanny position, gray begins to cloud her world and forces her to bend the rules. On top of that, her friends clutter her mind with their progressive ideas--like ditching the prayer cap--forcing Kathy to delve into these issues herself. She emerges even more obstinate about her cherished traditions. And she turns judgmental toward those who believe differently... including former flame, Jake Byler, who has returned from sowing his wild oats to win back her heart. Certain he's not the man for her, Katy's not prepared when Jake's patience begins to wear a hole in the wall she 's built around it. But this time, can bending keep her heart from breaking?"--[p. 4] of cover.… (more)

Dianne Christner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,157,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible