Micro: A Novel by Michael Crichton

Micro: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Michael Crichton (Author)

Member:JFDausman
Title:Micro: A Novel
Authors:Michael Crichton (Author)
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: 1st, 448 pages

Micro by Michael Crichton (2011)

Recently added byrena75, AdnanAdiguzel, private library, oscard07, FrenchStuart, Winhalllibrary
    Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (JoshMock)
    JoshMock: The book was sort of "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" meets Jurassic Park.
    Richard Matheson's The shrinking man by Richard Matheson (AngelaJMaher)

English (58)  French (1)  All languages (59)
I was taken aback when I first started reading this; it had a distinctly unfinished feel to it. Then I discovered the book had been incomplete at the time of the author's death and was finished by another author. I suspect as much of the original material was conserved as possible, but it's resulted in sections of stilted dialogue, characters that at times are more caricatures, repetition, and areas where the pacing is out.
Either it improved in later parts of the book or I got used to it. The book is good enough to keep you interested, full of action and twists. If the author had lived to polish the story himself, it would have been an excellent book. As it stands, it has its faults, but its a good tale, and still better than a lot of books out there. The science has been well researched too, which is always good to see.
If the plot appeals, stick with reading the book. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Jun 17, 2018 |
Excellent premise by master crafter Crichton, sophomoric execution by another. Crichton is dearly missed. ( )
  GinaFava | Apr 11, 2018 |
Reading it now... too many flashbacks to "Honey I shrunk the kids". And at least so far the villin is too 1 dimensional.

I finally stopped about halfway through... Interesting idea, way to melodramatic. Actually now that I really think about it once the only character I liked was killed, I decided to stop reading. I finished by reading the summary on Wikipedia. ( )
  DelightedLibrarian | Jan 2, 2018 |
Sadly for what might have been Crichton's last (pre-posthumous mostly finished) work, I feel I'm being generous giving this 3 stars. Its not a HORRIBLE book by any means.... but basically if you've read any of his previous works, you could foresee where this was going.

Also, if you've seen any formulaic Hollywood action movie.... you know exactly how this pans out. Nothing really to throw out there, other than technology and different insects at you.

I think the only "loop" that is thrown is the survivors of the students who get shrunken down. As an opposite to this, it was pretty obvious that Eric was never really dead.

It was a decently fun romp, that, apparently took me roughly a year to finish. Didn't quite realize I let this shelf so long and gone back to read other books. This was pretty much just a typical action book that was set in the "micro" world, and because of that, it allowed Crichton/Preston to use insects almost like aliens, where throwing out a different random bug to attack or a bird, or Vin Drake who was mustache-twirling evil, just to try and throw "curveballs out of nowhere" at the protagonists. But sadly it was all too pretty much straight forward and formulaic. ( )
  BenKline | Nov 3, 2017 |
Three stars for a book from a talented author who knows how to tell a story, but in this case he has put together a ridiculous premise which his excellent writing can only go so far to ameliorate the story. Jurassic Park, while fantastic, was believable and so was the Andromeda Strain. MICRO is not. Once you start with a silly premise, even the best writer, and I believe Crichton falls into that category for sheer escapism, will find it hard to put together a cogent story. Yes, there were some interesting events portrayed skillfully by the author, but to make them at all palatable, you had to swallow the premise, which I found difficult to do. Three stars for the writer, zero stars for this book ( )
  brucemmoyer | Oct 8, 2017 |

Michael Crichtonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Preston, Richardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Minute creatures swarm around us . . . objects of potentially endless study and admiration, if we are willing to sweep our vision down from the world lined by the horizon to include the world an arm's length away. A lifetime can be spent in a Magellanic voyage around the trunk of a tree.
-E. O. Wilson
For Jr.
West of Pearl Harbor, he drove along the Farrington Highway past fields of sugar cane, dark green in the moonlight.

In Jurassic Park, he created a terrifying new world. Now, in Micro, Michael Crichton reveals a universe too small to see and too dangerous to ignore.

IN A LOCKED HONOLULU OFFICE BUILDING, three men are found dead with no sign of struggle except for the ultrafine, razor-sharp cuts covering their bodies. The only clue left behind is a tiny bladed robot, nearly invisible to the human eye.

IN THE LUSH FORESTS OF OAHU, groundbreaking technology has ushered in a revolutionary era of biological prospecting. Trillions of microorganisms, tens of thousands of bacteria species, are being discovered; they are feeding a search for priceless drugs and applications on a scale beyond anything previously imagined.

IN CAMBRIDGE, MASSACHUSETTS, seven graduate students at the forefront of their fields are recruited by a pioneering microbiology start-up. Nanigen MicroTechnologies dispatches the group to a mysterious lab in Hawaii, where they are promised access to tools that will open a whole new scientific frontier.

BUT ONCE IN THE OAHU RAIN FOREST, the scientists are thrust into a hostile wilderness that reveals profound and surprising dangers at every turn. Armed only with their knowledge of the natural world, they find themselves prey to a technology of radical and unbridled power. To survive, they must harness the inherent forces of nature itself.

Micro pits nature against technology in vintage Crichton fashion. Completed by visionary science writer Richard Preston, this boundary-pushing thriller melds scientific fact with pulse-pounding fiction to create yet another masterpiece of sophisticated, cutting-edge entertainment.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060873027, Hardcover)

Amazon Exclusive: “Micro is Anything But Small” by James Rollins

An avid spelunker and scuba enthusiast, James Rollins holds a doctorate in veterinary medicine and is the author of the New York Times best-selling Sigma Force series, the most recent of which is The Devil Colony.

First I have to admit, Michael Crichton is why I write. In fact, if not for his books, I’d probably still be a practicing veterinarian in Northern California, dealing with flea allergies, ear infections, and all manner of medical maladies. It was Crichton’s stories of wild adventures, his explorations into the strange frontiers of science, and his truly ripped-from-the-headlines plotting that inspired me to set down my own scalpel and stethoscope and pick up pen and paper.

But his influence went beyond mere heady inspiration. His books also served as a tutorial into the practicalities of storytelling. When I tackled my first novel (a deep-earth adventure titled Subterranean), I continually kept a copy of Jurassic Park on the shelf above my desk. That book became my roadmap on how to build a story’s structure: who dies first and when, at what point do we see the first dinosaur, how do you fold science into a novel without stagnating the flow? That old copy of Jurassic Park remains dog-eared and heavily highlighted, and it still holds a cherished place on my bookshelf.

So I dove into Crichton’s latest novel, Micro, with some trepidation, fearing how a collaborative effort might tarnish his great body of work. Now, to be fair, I’d also read Richard Preston’s nonfiction masterpiece of scientific horror and intrigue, The Hot Zone. That book was as brilliant as it was terrifying. But still I wondered, could Preston take Crichton’s story and truly do it justice?

In a word: YES.

In two words, HELL YES.

Micro is pure Crichton. Dare I say, vintage Crichton, harkening back to the scientific intrigue of Andromeda Strain, to the exploration of the natural world covered in Congo, and to the adventure and thrills of The Lost World. As only Crichton can, he has taken a scientific concept as wild as the one he tackled in Timeline and exceeded in making it chillingly real. It took a clever quirk of genetics and cloning to give rise to the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. Likewise, a twist of science in Micro calls forth a new horror out of the natural world—but not just one line of threat. In this book, the entire biosphere becomes a vast and deadly playground. Its depiction is both darkly beautiful and stunningly dreadful. It is a terrain as foreign as any hostile planet, yet as close as our own backyard. To tell more would ruin a great adventure that will have you looking out your window with new eyes.

Similarly, this lethal and toxic terrain must be traversed by a band of gutsy heroes. But in typical Crichton style, these are not elite commandos or a highly trained black ops team. They’re simply a group of graduate students—each uniquely talented and flawed—gathered from various scientific disciplines: entomology, toxicology, botany, biochemistry. They must learn to combine resources and ingenuities to survive and ultimately thwart a danger threatening to break free into the world at large, all the while pursued by a sociopath as cunning as he is sadistic.

In the end, Micro has everything you’d expect in a Crichton novel—and so much more. But the greatest achievement here is a simple and profound one: with this novel, the legacy of a true master continues to shine forth in all its multifaceted glory. And someone somewhere will read this novel, turn the last page, and in a great aura of awe and inspiration, come to a realization: I want to try to write stories like that.

And they will.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:28 -0400)

Three men are found dead in the locked second-floor office of a Honolulu building, with no sign of struggle except for the ultrafine, razor-sharp cuts covering their bodies. The only clue left behind is a tiny bladed robot, nearly invisible to the human eye. In the lush forests of Oahu, groundbreaking technology has ushered in a revolutionary era of biological prospecting. Trillions of microorganisms, tens of thousands of bacteria species, are being discovered; they are feeding a search for priceless drugs and applications on a scale beyond anything previously imagined. In Cambridge, Massachusetts, seven graduate students at the forefront of their fields are recruited by a pioneering microbiology start-up. Nanigen MicroTechnologies dispatches the group to a mysterious lab in Hawaii, where they are promised access to tools that will open a whole new scientific frontier. But once in the Oahu rain forest, the scientists are thrust into a hostile wilderness that reveals profound and surprising dangers at every turn. Armed only with their knowledge of the natural world, they find themselves prey to a technology of radical and unbridled power. To survive, they must harness the inherent forces of nature itself.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,737,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible