Treasury of Nursery Rhymes by Hilda Boswell

Treasury of Nursery Rhymes

by Hilda Boswell

402285,656 (4)3

Illustrations that will stay with you a lifetime!,, September 9, 2014

This review is from: Treasury of Nursery Rhymes (Hardcover)
I loved this as a child, and have just bought a copy for my granddaughter...and how the pictures come back to me!
A lot of the scenes and characters are quite medieval in appearance - the traveller in his cloak in 'Twinkle, twinkle Little Star'; the witch-like crone flying over a village of Tudor houses in 'There Was An Old Woman Tossed Up In A Basket'; the country lad in his smock and straw hat in 'Lavender's Blue'. There are umpteen nursery rhyme books on the market but this has such character - I love the way Hilda Boswell adds little touches to her pictures - there's often little sprites looking on; mice in the corner of the baker's shop etc.
Contains a whole host of verse, from the well-known nursery rhymes to poems like 'The Owl and the Pussy Cat' and 'Wynken, Blynken and Nod'.
Every child should have a copy! ( )
  starbox | Sep 9, 2014 |
Another book I collected for its illustrations and sentimental value. My children do like me to read from it, which I love because it is such a nostalgic experience for me. Beautiful illustrations. ( )
  abcornils | Sep 21, 2006 |

A collection of classic rhymes including Little Boy Blue, Baa, baa, black sheep, and There was an old woman who lived in a shoe. Includes an index of first lines.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible