Fodor's France by Fodor's

Fodor's France

by Fodor's

Okay, for a comprehensive guide to France. Includes some hotels and restaurants. Of course, that information is somewhat dated. You can chase down a restaurant and find that it no longer exists.

I prefer buying Michelin Green Guides specific to regions. At 880 pages, Fodor's is not portable and cannot contain the detail that the Green Guides have. In fact, we refer to Fodor's as "the fat book." Great for an overview, but not practical for traveling. ( )
2 vote brendajanefrank | Jun 23, 2016 |
Do you know the old saying, “Buy the dress, the event will come”? That’s how I feel about travel guides. (I pick up a few guides to Hawaii, the next thing you know I’m drinking piña coladas in Waikiki.) I’ve dreamed of a trip to France my entire life. It is, unquestionably, number one on my dream destination list. Even if it wasn’t, after checking out Fodor’s guide, it surely would be!

This is a hefty little book (which is, technically, not ideal for travel) coming in at 892 pages. The first thing you’re likely to notice is the photographs. There are hundreds of them, making for a well-illustrated book. All are full-color, and the majority of them are relatively small. They serve a purpose. A few of them, however, are one- or two-page spreads and they are staggering, take-your-breath-away gorgeous! I mean, if you’re looking for inspiration to get on a plane, it’s there.

When it comes to travel guides, there are several publishers whose books I like for different reasons or attributes. But if I had to pick just one book, it would probably be Fodor’s every time. The pretty photos are nice, but what I really value are the detailed reviews of hotels, restaurants, and attractions. Beyond basic contact info and prices, these are substantive reviews sharing specifics, opinions, pros, and cons. Standout establishments are noted with a star and/or “Fodor’s Choice” designation. I’ve done very well following their recommendations over the years. When I’m trying to figure out where to go, I really value that—even if I’m still at home in my armchair.

The guide opens with an overview of the entire country. After that, there are chapters on Paris, Ile-de-France, the Loire Valley, Normandy, Brittany, Champagne Country, Alsace-Lorraine, Burgundy, Lyon and the Alps, Provence, the French Riviera, The Midi-Pyrénées and Languedoc-Roussillon, the Basque Country, Gascony and Haute-Pyrénées, Bordeaux and the Wine Country, and the Dordogne. Wherever you’re thinking of going, it’s covered. And, in addition to a high-quality folding map that can be pulled from the back of the book, there are more than 50 maps within the text. In short, you should be able to find everything you need for an exhaustive trip to France in this book. What are you waiting for? Buy the dress! ( )
  suetu | Dec 22, 2010 |

Few travelers can resist visiting France---the epitome of picture-book Europe---where enticing attractions range from Loire Valley châteaus and beautiful Provençal villages to lace-curtained Burgundy bistros and Paris’s Louvre. Over 2.5 million Americans visited France in 2005, up 6% from 2004, indicating Americans continue to be smitten with the country.
For the first time, Fodor’s France 2008 offers travelers a host of user-friendly features, including:

• New, magazine-style illustrated features that provide the lowdown on many French attractions, including “Gilt Trip: A Tour of Versailles”; “Lyon: France’s Culinary Cauldron ”; and “Champagne Uncorked.”

• Listings for many towns and villages now include essential sections on bus and train schedules.

• Chapter-opener pages feature annotated maps and “Planner Pages,” with in-the-know tips from experts on how travelers can make the most of their time.

• Two brand-new chapters put the spotlight on a pair of France’s most irresistible destinations: the Dordogne region and the Bordeaux wine country.

• 8-page color insert.

The best guide to France, updated every year
All the great sights -- from Monet's gardens, Chartres, and Chenonceau to Burgundy' s vineyards and Arles's arènes
Enchanting walks through Paris, Strasbourg, Nancy, Toulouse, and Lyon's vieille ville -- all by neighborhood
Shopping -- from designer boutiques to open-air markets
Going out: opera houses and theaters, clubs and casinos
Where to stay and eat, no matter what your budget
Châteaux and mansion hotels, stylish finds, cozy auberges, and comfortable hôtels de charme
Culinary landmarks, bustling brasseries, fashionable bistros, wine bars, and outdoor cafés
Fresh, thorough, practical -- off and on the beaten path
Costs, hours, descriptions, and tips by the thousands
All reviews based on visits by savvy writer-residents
55 pages of maps, 52 vacation itineraries, and more
New & Noteworthy
Festivals
Background essays, further reading
Comprehensive index

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:13 -0400)

TRAVEL & HOLIDAY GUIDES. "Fodor's France 2011" features added coverage of nearly every place under the French sun, along with a pullout On-the-Go map of Paris that gives travelers essential information about top attractions, walking tours, and nearby dining. Full color.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,111,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible