Buddha by Demi

Buddha

by Demi

Beautiful illustrations alongside a touching yet kid-friendly retelling of Siddhartha's life and teachings. I love that this book included the Eight-fold Path. I read this curled up on my daughter's bed with my two-year-old falling asleep in my arms and the winter sun peeking in through the windows, which may also have influenced my impression of this book. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 31, 2012 |
The story of Buddha is told using a south-east Asian motif. Gilded illustrations bring life to this biology.
  sderby | Jul 18, 2011 |
The story of how Buddah became Buddah. Details his journey to enlightenment ad includes awesome artwork. You could spend hours just studying the pictures. ( )
  Kathdavis54 | Jun 8, 2011 |
This is the story of Buddha, starting with a prophecy that his mother had in a dream before he was born and ending with his death. The story is long and covers the Buddha's many years. The illustrations are very interesting and keep with the theme and time period. There is a lot to look at. This is a great book to introduce other religions and cultures. ( )
  jscheper | Nov 15, 2009 |
The book Buddha was written by an author named Demi. This book is very well written and has great pictures. It surprised me how captivating it is about such a influencial person in terms that children will understand. One of the things I like about non-fiction children's books is that a complex subject has to be made simple for young readers. And the illustrations have to support the words well.
A book like Buddha allows you to get to know this subject in a small amount of pages.
Classroom extension: 1 - the class could a write a biography about someone that they admire and that they have been influenced by. 2 - the children could learn about meditation.
(I'm not sure how the second extension would pan out considering some people get offended about religions and education.) ( )
  carolemorris | Apr 17, 2008 |

A relatively brief work on the life story of Buddha. It hits the high points and tells a few complete short stories that the reader might already be familiar with, such as The Blind Men and the Elephant. For a child interested in Buddhism on any level, this book will be interesting. For a child not so inclined, this book is unlikely to draw the reader in.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805042032, Hardcover)

Celebrated children's-book illustrator Demi puts the Buddha's life story into words any child can enjoy. Even more, children will love the lush, meticulously painted scenes, rendered in traditional Asian fashion yet as light and whimsical as Calvin and Hobbes. (Ages 9 to 12.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:47 -0400)

A biography of Sidhartha, a prince from the Himalayan mountains who became a spiritual leader of the Buddhism religion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible