The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The False Prince

by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Series: The Ascendance Trilogy (1)

English (79)  German (1)  All languages (80)
Thank you to Scholastic for a copy of this novel for review.

I was instantly drawn to Sage from the moment I was introduced to him. I really couldn't put a finger on why. And something about Connor bugged me from the outset. I had no idea what I would discover in these pages and I am still...my head is still spinning.

Let me be perfectly honest and tell you that there are plot twists in this book that will catch you so far off guard that you will be left scratching your head wondering how in the world you missed it. There are secrets that many of these characters keep that you could scarcely begin to imagine.

I had my suspicions as to what some of these secrets might have been but I never would have expected it to play out the way it did. This author is skilled at developing characters and a world that is both real and believable. I am still wondering what role Imogen has to play, and I imagine that that will be revealed in the second book, which I hope to read soon.

Overall, this was a fun YA fantasy novel. While the characters are early teens, I would not recommend this book for younger teens as there is a significant amount of violence and should be judged based on the individual maturity of the child. But for the older teen or the mature younger teen, this is an excellent read and one that I would gladly pass on to my children as they get older. I look forward to great things from this author. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Thank you to Scholastic for a copy of this novel for review.

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
This is probably one of my favorite books of all times. When I first bought checked it out I didn't know just how much I'd love it. Here I am two years later with my own copy of the book as well as his brothers ( The Runaway King and The Shadow Throne)

The Characters?

Where do I even begin? Sage is exactly what you (well I) want in a main character, he's funny, witty and foolish. He makes rash decisions and is thought to be careless. Though, he isn't as careless as everyone thinks and is in fact intelligent but he keeps that to himself. I liked how could see the other characters developing as well despite the fact we don't hear their thoughts. Roden and Tobias were both well written. Overall their actions and thoughts were definitely relatable.

The writing style?

Quirky, definitely quirky. Not to mention fun. I love how the book could be so modern in text and speech yet keep the medieval theme/feel to it. I absolutely loved Sage's sarcastic quips, they were definitely something I looked forward to in the book

Although the book seems to depend quite a bit on coincidence it was still great and definitely worth reading ( )
  booklover_rem | Nov 26, 2014 |
Sage is taken by Conner from an orphanage. Conner is gathering boys of about the same age and of similar physical characteristics for a secret "mission". Sage has learned well from his time on the streets and challenges Conner along the way. Sage must win the competition to be chosen as Conner's choice to replace the lost king of Carthya. Along the way, Sage befriends a mute servant girl, Imogen. Imogen helps Sage along the way as he challenges Conner and his helpers, Mott and Cragen. As events unfurl, Sage seems more and more like the long lost prince and the rightful heir to the throne. But can he control his rough side and learn enough to fool the court? Will Conner choose him even though he might not be able to control him? As events unfold Sage becomes Conner's choice and intrigue and drama stand between him and the throne. Can Sage be Jaron? Read to find out. ( )
  alsparks324 | Nov 21, 2014 |
(4.4)
  mshampson | Oct 19, 2014 |

Jennifer A. Nielsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom,

Every great thing I ever learned from

you was taught by example.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not have chosen this life.

THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.

In the country of Carthya, a devious nobleman engages four orphans in a brutal competition to be selected to impersonate the king's long-missing son in an effort to avoid a civil war.

94 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,762,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible