The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The False Prince

by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Series: The Ascendance Trilogy (1)

English (81)  German (1)  All languages (82)
More reviews can be seen on Boricuan Bookworms

In a divided and discontent kingdom, the only hope is to find the long-lost prince Jaron, the only heir to the throne. When a nobleman of the court takes three orphans from their “homes” and plans to make one of them into the Prince, he recruits a cunning and defiant boy named Sage. Sage is the boy who least has a shot in to be the Prince, but he knows that if he doesn’t get chosen, he will most certainly be killed. In comes a dangerous game where every day could be his last, where secrets and conspiracies are hiding beneath the surface. Sage must use his cunning skills to his advantage, if he doesn’t want to lose the game… and his life.

This story is one of the most wonderfully written stories I’ve read in a long time! It has a wonderful “slow-burn” kind of pace, but it’s wonderful.

The book is set in Carthya, a rundown kingdom whose enemies are slowly closing in. The world-building was completely believable! I could totally imagine myself in that place and in that time.

What I really loved the most was Sage. Sage was like the Sherlock Holmes of the story. He was always one-upping everyone. You thought you had him figured out, and then BAM! He surprised you again. I am totally in love with Sage. (Is it wrong to be swooning over a 14 year old when I’m 18? sigh) This mainly has to do with the fact that I “read” the audiobook, and Sage’s narrator was AH-MAY-ZING. He sounded so mature, but at the same time had a hint of mischief and innocence. I loved that about him. Sage is one of the most wonderful heroes I’ve read about in a long time.

This book also has some sweet, yet subtle romance. When I say subtle, I mean about a 3% romance, but what romance there is, it’s absolutely smile inducing and reinforces the general swoon over Sage. I’m glad that the romance doesn’t overtake the plot, because this plot is so complex.

This book teaches us that the most courageous heroes arise from the most unusual situations. It teaches us how important we are, regardless of our status or education.
“A person can be educated and still be stupid, and a wise man can have no education at all.”
Jennifer A. Nielsen, The False Prince
You think that the book is going in one direction, but suddenly there’s this twist that you weren’t expecting and it takes you somewhere else. This book is classified as middle grade, but I guarantee you that this is appropriate for adults as well. There’s action around every corner, lies, deceit, romance, suspense, mystery… this book has it all.

Overall, if you want a story that basically has it all, with wonderful characters and an amazing storyline, then you should definitely pick this one up.

Rating: 4.5 Stars
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: I have to say right away that the plot twist ending is worth reading the entire book! The beginning of the book is is a bit slow, and the story wasn’t as interesting as I thought it was going to be at first. By the time I got to the end and everything is revealed, the whole story makes sense. I also loved the mystery behind it! The whole book is a mystery, even if you don’t know it is. Aside from the slow start, the only other thing I didn’t enjoy was the main character. At times, he was annoying to follow around. Since this is a middle grade book, it is an especially young protagonist. Other than this, I will definitely be picking up the next book!

Adult Reader Reaction: Review pending.

Pros: Lots of action and an amazing twist at the end will have readers wanting the next book right away.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | May 16, 2015 |
Thank you to Scholastic for a copy of this novel for review.

I was instantly drawn to Sage from the moment I was introduced to him. I really couldn't put a finger on why. And something about Connor bugged me from the outset. I had no idea what I would discover in these pages and I am still...my head is still spinning.

Let me be perfectly honest and tell you that there are plot twists in this book that will catch you so far off guard that you will be left scratching your head wondering how in the world you missed it. There are secrets that many of these characters keep that you could scarcely begin to imagine.

I had my suspicions as to what some of these secrets might have been but I never would have expected it to play out the way it did. This author is skilled at developing characters and a world that is both real and believable. I am still wondering what role Imogen has to play, and I imagine that that will be revealed in the second book, which I hope to read soon.

Overall, this was a fun YA fantasy novel. While the characters are early teens, I would not recommend this book for younger teens as there is a significant amount of violence and should be judged based on the individual maturity of the child. But for the older teen or the mature younger teen, this is an excellent read and one that I would gladly pass on to my children as they get older. I look forward to great things from this author. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Thank you to Scholastic for a copy of this novel for review.

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
This is probably one of my favorite books of all times. When I first bought checked it out I didn't know just how much I'd love it. Here I am two years later with my own copy of the book as well as his brothers ( The Runaway King and The Shadow Throne)

The Characters?

Where do I even begin? Sage is exactly what you (well I) want in a main character, he's funny, witty and foolish. He makes rash decisions and is thought to be careless. Though, he isn't as careless as everyone thinks and is in fact intelligent but he keeps that to himself. I liked how could see the other characters developing as well despite the fact we don't hear their thoughts. Roden and Tobias were both well written. Overall their actions and thoughts were definitely relatable.

The writing style?

Quirky, definitely quirky. Not to mention fun. I love how the book could be so modern in text and speech yet keep the medieval theme/feel to it. I absolutely loved Sage's sarcastic quips, they were definitely something I looked forward to in the book

Although the book seems to depend quite a bit on coincidence it was still great and definitely worth reading ( )
  booklover_rem | Nov 26, 2014 |

Jennifer A. Nielsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom,

Every great thing I ever learned from

you was taught by example.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not have chosen this life.

THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.

In the country of Carthya, a devious nobleman engages four orphans in a brutal competition to be selected to impersonate the king's long-missing son in an effort to avoid a civil war.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,921,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible