The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The False Prince

by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Series: The Ascendance Trilogy (1)

672None14,225 (4.15)34
2012 (11) 2013 (12) action (6) adventure (50) audiobook (8) boys (8) deception (7) ebook (9) family (6) fantasy (108) fiction (25) impersonation (14) intrigue (9) Kindle (6) middle grade (13) mystery (17) orphans (33) politics (8) prince (18) read (6) read in 2012 (8) read in 2013 (6) royalty (25) secrets (7) series (23) thieves (16) to-read (35) unreliable narrator (7) YA (35) young adult (35)

English (63)  German (1)  All languages (64)
This was an exciting start to the YA Ascendance Trilogy -- so exciting that I whipped through it in about a day. Conner, a regent of the king, devises a plan to restore the kingdom's long-lost and presumed-dead prince to the throne in an effort to avert civil war. He chooses four boys from orphanages who resemble the prince, and who seem to possess certain qualities which can be developed into royal skills in a short time, and to be exercised long enough to fool the other regents. The rebellious orphan Sage, who narrates the book, is forcibly taken as one of the four. As his training begins, he learns sinister things about Conner's motives and methods, and comes to understand that being chosen to play the prince may lead to his death, and not being chosen definitely will. This is a heart-racing page-turner, with secrets, intrigue, hidden passages, back-stabbing, cunning, and adventure. Good stuff!
  AMQS | Mar 23, 2014 |
A million, bajillion stars!

Me after I finished the book:

No! Why? How could you? Sage? Imogen? Mott? Don't leave! No... *cries*

As I am writing this... I am still bawling. At least I know I will sleep good tonight...

I probably shouldn't post this yet... public humiliation on a dish anyone?

But I'm crying and there wasn't even a cliffhanger! I just miss all the characters. And I cried a lot during the book too... and I don't normally do that! *cries more*

Jennifer is a genius! That plot twist! Those characters! Arghh!!!!!!!!!! I want to hug some characters in this book and kill others!!!!!!! The emotions!

Edit: There will be a better review posted once I can think straight.
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
This is the first of a series. IT makes me want to read the others when they come out. The entire book was fast-paced, but the ending was distinctly more exciting. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Mar 2, 2014 |
The False Prince is an exciting action/adventure/fantasy story by Jennifer A. Nielsen. It is the first book in The Ascendance Trilogy. This is a great YA novel fit for 10-14 year-old-olds who aren't ready for Game of Thrones, but who enjoy this type of medieval/fantasy story.

This is a Bildungsroman for the modern age with sword-fighting, deception, bloodshed, corruption, and greed. Sage is an orphan who is being trained by a nobleman to deceive the entire kingdom and become the prince. The book is PG, though there is violence present in the text. This is a protagonist that pre-teen readers can get behind; he's stubborn, street-smart, clever, and even a little obnoxious.

Although it is a great YA read, my only complaint is the narrative style. Sage spends about 70% of the book confused, angry, and afraid as he and the other boys are essentially held hostage by a corrupt nobleman. And then, suddenly, when it's revealed that Sage is Prince Jaron, Sage is suddenly intellectual, cunning and very much not confused. The shift in his character was too abrupt, even for me. It felt as if Nielsen had decided partway through the novel that Sage is actually Jaron. I think the book (and this major climatic reveal) would have been more effective told from a third-person, omniscient narrator, rather than in third-person from Sage's POV. Most of the shock factor was lost due to the narrative style. His character's reactions for most of the book are just not plausible if he's known the whole time that he is the prince.

Other than that, I enjoyed reading The False Prince. It's a great series, especially for boys. The length isn't daunting for reluctant readers. It is also notable that the characters are mostly male. There are only two prominent women in the book (a Princess and a servant girl), both of whom have small roles and could be potential love interests, though there is no romance angle in this first book. Some young male readers prefer to read about male readers, so make of that what you will.

A great start to a great series. Nielsen's storytelling is riveting and memorable.

3 Stars. ( )
  loveofreading | Feb 2, 2014 |
Fans of Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief books, here's your next obsession. Who can resist Sage, who's petulant, rebellious, and too clever for his own good? You just KNOW that a character like him has something up his sleeve. Sage's startling responses to scenarios, along with THE FALSE PRINCE's firm pacing, make it easy to overlook the possibly recycled elements of the story, like the political conspiracies, and the disguises, and whatnot. ( )
  stephxsu | Jan 5, 2014 |

Jennifer A. Nielsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom,

Every great thing I ever learned from

you was taught by example.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not have chosen this life.

THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.

In the country of Carthya, a devious nobleman engages four orphans in a brutal competition to be selected to impersonate the king's long-missing son in an effort to avoid a civil war.

94 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,440,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible