The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The False Prince

by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Series: The Ascendance Trilogy (1)

English (95)  German (1)  All languages (96)
Wow. Not what I expected

This book was certainly not what's expected. I loved the story and read it very quickly. I loved that it was clean and completely appropriate for my preteens and teens. ( )
  cool-mom-e | May 7, 2016 |
This book is about an orphan named Sage, who is brought to the brink of treason. A man named Bevin Conner, adopts 3 orphans, and makes them into a false prince. I liked this book because when I read the back, I was immediately hooked. I also wanted what treason meant ( I didn't want to look it up in the dictionary). ( )
  eli.P. | Apr 19, 2016 |
Huge hit with the entire family of adults and preteen boy and girl. ( )
  FrancineZane | Apr 3, 2016 |
Fast paced and well plotted, The False Prince is a real charmer. ( )
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
The False Prince is a young adult or possibly middle grade fantasy novel that reminds me strongly of Megan Whalen Turner’s The Thief. Sage is living in an orphanage when he’s taken along with three other boys by a nobleman named Connor. The royal family is dead and civil war is brewing, but Connor has a plan – find an impostor to play the role of the missing prince Jaron. Sage knows that if he isn’t chosen, Connor will have him killed.

The False Prince was all right but not particularly great. Large parts of the book felt bare boned. For instance, take the world building. There’s little to no effort to build up a sense of place. The setting is entirely lacking in culture or history and felt simplistic. Character development felt similarly simplistic. The only character with a chance at depth was the lead, and I never grew attached to him.

The plot of the book largely lies on a reveal that comes near the end. Unfortunately, I guessed the reveal ahead of time. I don’t think the reveal is significantly hard to guess if you’re familiar with the genre.

While I was reading The False Prince, I was continually reminded by Megan Whalen Turner’s The Thief. The plots of the two books are different, but there’s certain similarities in feel, perhaps due to both books having unreliable and cocky young thieves as their main characters. Overall, I’d say that Turner’s book is the better of the two due to superior prose. Despite this, if you were a fan of The Thief, you may want to look into The False Prince.

The False Prince was not an amazing novel. I found it mediocre, but it was still a fairly pleasant way to pass some time.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Mar 16, 2016 |

Jennifer A. Nielsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom,

Every great thing I ever learned from

you was taught by example.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not have chosen this life.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

In the country of Carthya, a devious nobleman engages four orphans in a brutal competition to be selected to impersonate the king's long-missing son in an effort to avoid a civil war.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,878,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible