The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The False Prince

by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Series: The Ascendance Trilogy (1)

English (102)  German (1)  All (103)
great story, wonderful narration in the audio book. ( )
  maggiehasbrouck | Jan 23, 2017 |
Sage is an orphan boy with a quick hand and a quicker tongue. The witty hero of The False Prince finds himself in a bind that he can’t escape. Bought from the orphanage he has been living in, he and three other boys must train to become the lost prince, Prince Jaron - who is assumed to have died at sea - and only one of them will survive game that Lord Conner seems to be playing.

I’m not a fan of labeling books “the next (insert famous book here)” but, Jennifer Nielsen’s novel will appeal to the hearts of the adventure loving masses - especially those who love the famous green-eyed-boy-wizard books.[1] It is packed with excitement and intrigue - what happened to Jared? Why is Lord Conner trying to influence the throne? What happened to the rest of the royal family?

Nielsen lays a complex mystery, littering bread crumbs along the way, but can the reader trust the narrator? There were two spots towards the end of the novel where the narrative switched from first person to third, and they cast enough doubt on Sage’s reliability as a narrator, that, even after the story ended, I couldn’t be certain that my assumptions were true, and … I loved it!

There was never a dull moment, yet, it did not feel rushed. Even though this book had a clean ending, I’m most certainly looking forward to the next installments. Though it’s geared towards a younger audience, I think The False Prince is one of those books both kids and adults can appreciate. I’m trying my best not to spoil the story, so, I’ll end it here by saying - go out and read it!

———

[1] Hmmm …. what book could that be?
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Good quick paced read. Not amazing not horrible :) ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
AWESOME, recommended by an 11 year old. I loved this book and cannot wait for the next book. ( )
  MrNattania | Sep 5, 2016 |
  JeffreyNattania | Aug 29, 2016 |

Jennifer A. Nielsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom,

Every great thing I ever learned from

you was taught by example.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not have chosen this life.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

In the country of Carthya, a devious nobleman engages four orphans in a brutal competition to be selected to impersonate the king's long-missing son in an effort to avoid a civil war.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,883,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible