The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The False Prince

by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Series: The Ascendance Trilogy (1)

English (77)  German (1)  All languages (78)
This is probably one of my favorite books of all times. When I first bought checked it out I didn't know just how much I'd love it. Here I am two years later with my own copy of the book as well as his brothers ( The Runaway King and The Shadow Throne)

The Characters?

Where do I even begin? Sage is exactly what you (well I) want in a main character, he's funny, witty and foolish. He makes rash decisions and is thought to be careless. Though, he isn't as careless as everyone thinks and is in fact intelligent but he keeps that to himself. I liked how could see the other characters developing as well despite the fact we don't hear their thoughts. Roden and Tobias were both well written. Overall their actions and thoughts were definitely relatable.

The writing style?

Quirky, definitely quirky. Not to mention fun. I love how the book could be so modern in text and speech yet keep the medieval theme/feel to it. I absolutely loved Sage's sarcastic quips, they were definitely something I looked forward to in the book

Although the book seems to depend quite a bit on coincidence it was still great and definitely worth reading ( )
  booklover_rem | Nov 26, 2014 |
Sage is taken by Conner from an orphanage. Conner is gathering boys of about the same age and of similar physical characteristics for a secret "mission". Sage has learned well from his time on the streets and challenges Conner along the way. Sage must win the competition to be chosen as Conner's choice to replace the lost king of Carthya. Along the way, Sage befriends a mute servant girl, Imogen. Imogen helps Sage along the way as he challenges Conner and his helpers, Mott and Cragen. As events unfurl, Sage seems more and more like the long lost prince and the rightful heir to the throne. But can he control his rough side and learn enough to fool the court? Will Conner choose him even though he might not be able to control him? As events unfold Sage becomes Conner's choice and intrigue and drama stand between him and the throne. Can Sage be Jaron? Read to find out. ( )
  alsparks324 | Nov 21, 2014 |
(4.4)
  mshampson | Oct 19, 2014 |
This was an excellent book, and I am looking forward to the rest of the series. Very engaging with mystery, intrigue, action and adventure. This book would appeal to boys. ( )
  recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |
Sage is an orphan boy who is captured and quickly falls into a conspiracy plot to become a puppet prince for the kingdom. He's quick witted and always seems to be half a step ahead of all schemes.

Spoilers
I liked this book more than I expected. The protagonist really does think on his feet and is not the typical helpless orphan boy caught in a tangled web. Some parts of the story are weak, especially the plot twist at the end. While it is believable, I would have preferred if Sage were just an orphan boy and not actually the prince. It would have made the plot more interesting to see how he could have handled the court rather than just coming into his power.

The competition between the three boys was so-so: not bad, but not great either. The length of the competition wasn't believable (3 weeks to mold orphan boys into a prince-a-like? no way). But the insight into the personality and lessons of each boy was interesting and kept up the story. I also did like how Sage discovered the secrets of the hold he was staying at.

The "mute" serving girl was a small annoyance because I can see her becoming the love interest in future novels. Honestly, she has no purpose in the story besides a potential love interest, which bores me. Characters with such obvious roles make me roll my eyes, especially weak girls for love. Please. Spare me.

However, I am looking forward to the sequel because following Sage's story is quite interesting. I'm always happily surprised at what he does or says. However, as I said before, I do think making him the true prince weakens the story. Acting as a puppet prince, avoiding the council men's schemes as well as Connor's claim on him through wit and fast-thinking would have been intense. But still, I'm sure Nielsen will produce.

Three stars for being a moderately interesting story with a solid plot line and developed characters. Only minor gripes with the story. Worth a read. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Jennifer A. Nielsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom,

Every great thing I ever learned from

you was taught by example.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not have chosen this life.

THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.

In the country of Carthya, a devious nobleman engages four orphans in a brutal competition to be selected to impersonate the king's long-missing son in an effort to avoid a civil war.

94 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,322,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible