The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The False Prince

by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Series: The Ascendance Trilogy (1)

English (74)  German (1)  All languages (75)
This was an excellent book, and I am looking forward to the rest of the series. Very engaging with mystery, intrigue, action and adventure. This book would appeal to boys. ( )
  recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |
Sage is an orphan boy who is captured and quickly falls into a conspiracy plot to become a puppet prince for the kingdom. He's quick witted and always seems to be half a step ahead of all schemes.

Spoilers
I liked this book more than I expected. The protagonist really does think on his feet and is not the typical helpless orphan boy caught in a tangled web. Some parts of the story are weak, especially the plot twist at the end. While it is believable, I would have preferred if Sage were just an orphan boy and not actually the prince. It would have made the plot more interesting to see how he could have handled the court rather than just coming into his power.

The competition between the three boys was so-so: not bad, but not great either. The length of the competition wasn't believable (3 weeks to mold orphan boys into a prince-a-like? no way). But the insight into the personality and lessons of each boy was interesting and kept up the story. I also did like how Sage discovered the secrets of the hold he was staying at.

The "mute" serving girl was a small annoyance because I can see her becoming the love interest in future novels. Honestly, she has no purpose in the story besides a potential love interest, which bores me. Characters with such obvious roles make me roll my eyes, especially weak girls for love. Please. Spare me.

However, I am looking forward to the sequel because following Sage's story is quite interesting. I'm always happily surprised at what he does or says. However, as I said before, I do think making him the true prince weakens the story. Acting as a puppet prince, avoiding the council men's schemes as well as Connor's claim on him through wit and fast-thinking would have been intense. But still, I'm sure Nielsen will produce.

Three stars for being a moderately interesting story with a solid plot line and developed characters. Only minor gripes with the story. Worth a read. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

Spoilers

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
From the first page The False Prince is non-stop action. When Sage, a young orphan boy, gets in trouble for stealing meat from a butcher he finds himself being purchased by Connor, a nobleman of Carthya. Sage is a strong main character. He takes care of himself no matter the situation. Because of his stubbornness and eagerness to fend for himself he gains the attention from Connor who's intentions are to train the three boys he's captured/purchased to pretend to be the King's long lost son.

Despite the great character writing I found myself wondering where all of the scenery was. What year is it? Is it supposed to be historical fiction? Why is there no background information for this world?

The False Prince is aimed at young boys- ages 8-12. Now, I was a 24 year old woman who thought the book was bad-ass. The protagonist wasn't a whiny brat, he wasn't weak, he was quite awesome. He was quick-witted and a great character to cheer for. (The other two boys were as well.) The whole book focuses on Sage. The False Prince is a great introduction to the series and gets you pumped to find out what happens to everyone later on.

Halfway through the book I thought it picked up even more speed. Once we knew what was going on it was time to focus on how it was going to end. To me, that is how you tell a great, fast-paced adventure/fantasy novel. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this wasn't a Prince in the Pauper re-telling, but a genuine story about a young boy and his emotions.

The False Prince is a great middle grade book, but it felt like it was far beyond most of the MG books I've read in its constant violence. I would definitely recommend this book to any young person or adult. It is such a well-written adventure! (Even if you don't continue the series.) ( )
  theindigoshelf | Sep 14, 2014 |
As a long-time reader of YA fiction, I found there was a certain level of predictability to the book, which was definitely its major weakness, and yet it was still quite good. Essentially, it is a classic plot involving a look-alike taking on a royal role, but Nielsen does definitely put her own spin on things. The characters are fairly well-written and developed, particularly for the first part of a trilogy, and the plot was solid enough to keep my interest. I feel as though it could be stronger, but I look forward to reading the other books in the trilogy at some point to see how things developed. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Aug 12, 2014 |

Jennifer A. Nielsenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McWade, CharlieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mom,

Every great thing I ever learned from

you was taught by example.
If I had to do it all over again, I would not have chosen this life.

THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.

In the country of Carthya, a devious nobleman engages four orphans in a brutal competition to be selected to impersonate the king's long-missing son in an effort to avoid a civil war.

94 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible