Signs and Wonders

Signs and Wonders

Anne’s healing gift raises money in an evangelist setting and allows for a decadent lifestyle. She is indicted for fraud when the gift disappears and a child dies. The story appears to be a debate between Christian ministries, faith healers, believers, and non-believers and the money at stake rather than spiritual beliefs. The main character seemed superficial and shallow. ( )
  bemislibrary | Jul 31, 2016 |
Love this book. Very quick read. I was disappointed with the ending. It was too abrupt. ( )
  ChildofGod | Dec 11, 2015 |
What an honest, wonderful book concerning how sometimes good intentions can begin right but end up very false and dishonest. It is also a very controversial novella.

Reverend Grace discovered special gifts in his very young daughter - gifts he could commercialize on. But before he was able to exploit them, they seemed to disappear. Nevertheless, he decided to build his ministry on this premise anyway. His daughter, Annie, trusted her daddy and submitted to his wishes. Her brother, Benjamin, refused to be a part of the deception and left to live with a friend and go to public schools.

As Annie grew into adulthood, she became Miss Annie and continued to minister with her father. Now, her father was dead and a year later, Annie was a mess...Drinking and finding frequent new bed partners. She hated the farce her dad had created, yet, what else could she do for a living? She had home-schooled and had no other vocation.

Just like everything else in life, challenges arose and life took a definite turn...a couple of turns.

I do, personally, believe in miracles. Miracles happen every day but as a progressing society, we do not realize miracles as they "stare us in the face". Ask any elderly person if air travel, space travel, medical machines, laser technology, etc. are miracles. Ask most medical professionals if the functions of the body and organs are miracles.

I had a wonderful doctor and friend, who wasn't sure of he believed in God or what, once tell me a person cannot witness all things doctors often do without knowing there is supreme power.

In this story, people who are suppose to represent God, misuse that power and authority. Monetary accumulation and popularity become their primary goal. Trickery and deceit are used to accomplish their goals. Others trust in them is of no value.

I believe in healing. I also know in order to be healed; first, it has to be God's will, secondly, both the healer and the recipient has to truly have faith and believe they can be healed. As in Christ's, day, he and the apostles healed without accepting any monetary means. Also, as in His day, there were times an individual wasn't healed because of God's greater purpose... a purpose we humans cannot see with our "tunnel vision". We do not have the capacity to see the "big" eternal picture.

This is a story of love, devotion, deceit, cunning, sin, loyalty, trust, betrayal, redemption, restitution, and repentance. There is much one can learn from this story. Fortunately, there are sincere religious leaders as well as insincere ones. It is up to the individual to seek out truth for themselves.

I feel this novella could have had a stronger, smoother beginning but was still very well written. With my review, I offer this book a strong Four Stars rating.
A copy was provided, generously, by the author for an honest review of which I have given. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Aug 23, 2013 |
This novella takes a look at what happens when Annie grows up and starts to take responsibility for her actions. The story is fairly simplistic and there is an element of the fantastical, but it's not bad. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 17, 2013 |
Annie Grace has been a faith healer since the age of 5, though hasn't healed anyone since she was 5. Now her world feels like a sham, that is until her attorney and accountant turn on her . Annie soon realizes that there just might be a little more to her ability than she thought. Nice book and had a hard time putting it down .Christian overtones are not in your face so this made for a very niec read. A great way to spend an afternoon in the sun!! ( )
  Scoshie | Feb 12, 2012 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

's book Signs and Wonders was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible